Baldwin Senior High School

Public | 8-12 & ungraded

Posted May 10, 2014

I graduated from Baldwin in 99 and I know from experience Baldwin gives you back exactly what you put into it. I put a lot into my time there and was very happy. I played 3 sports andrreceived a scholarship to a good school through them. I also participated in the art program, had a great time, and earned plenty of rewards through my instruction. Classes were not overly gruelling, but I had no huge issues adjusting to college. In addition to everything else the clubs Baldwin offers were quite enjoyable were I felt I was making a difference in a community. Baldwin does have areas it needed to grow in... and I'm sure it still does... but a future student must understand that what you put into school and life is what you get out. When you are younger it is your parents and teachers job to motivate you, but as you become an adult it is no longer their job. Baldwin offers all of the same opportunities other more prestigious schools have but it is your job to step up and participate.

Posted October 2, 2012

I graduated from BHS in 2010 and am currently an undergrad in Speech Pathology. During my senior year most of the better teachers retired and they were between principals but that doesn't excuse the fact that I was poorly prepared for my future. College prep should be a priority. The "life skills" classes we had to take were a joke as were the exit interviews. There was also nobody to help me choose a major or even a school that interested me. Now the new building is beautiful and they're making many advances with technology but it doesn't make a difference when the teachers aren't pushing the students. Academic level classes were filled with busy work and teachers who took the easy way out. The school board needs to review the curriculum at all levels to make sure this school is producing better students who are better prepared.

Posted May 28, 2011

I graduated from Baldwin a few years ago. Now that I am in college, I have noticed how mediocre Baldwin's education really was for me. At BHS, I slacked off all 4 years and graduated with higher than a 4.0 GPA. Now, I am attending a university with students who attended some of the best high schools in the country and I now feel below average. BWSD really needs to step up their game. At this point, I am for sure not living here post graduation because I do not want my kids attending this school.

Posted March 29, 2011

This Is A New School That Has lot Of Things You Can Do And The Hallways Are Bigger To Get Thought Them

Posted December 13, 2010

I graduated from Baldwin in 2008, and am now in College with a 3.8 gpa doing half as much work as I did at Baldwin. Although I had a bad experience with peers I got an amazing education. The writing experience I recieved at Baldwin more than prepared me for College. However, I would add I took all honors and AP classes in high school so I am sure core and academic don't prepare you nearly as much

Posted November 8, 2009

I graduated from Baldwin a few years ago and didn't realize what a mediocre school it really was until I got to college. Having graduated from Baldwin with highest honors despite not showing up for class very often and hardly doing any work, it was a pretty rude awakening to actually have to try in college. Baldwin's fine if you plan to join the military or go straight to work after graduation, but it's awful if college prep is what you're after. You can send your kids to Baldwin for an easy diploma, but don't expect them to be challenged along the way.

Posted July 7, 2009

I am a parent who's daughter currently attends 10th grade at baldwin high school. My son, who is much older, said he loved the school district and is proud to be from baldwin. By the time my daughter got to middle school, she was completely unhappy with the school. My daughter's grades have dropped as she gets older due to horrible teachers. She comes home from school with tons of homework she does not know how to do. The school does not take care of her. I am very upset with the school. For how much my daughter complains, it's worth moving.

Posted March 14, 2009

I graduated 2007 as a proud alumnus. It was a great school with many quality students near the top of the ranks.

Posted December 3, 2008

I graduated from baldwin in 2005 and couldn't be any prouder to say that I went there... I played football (from 2002-2004 state ranked every year!!!!) and while I did slide on a few things from being an athelete I felt everyone got treated pretty fairly.... word to the wise if you have a senior push for Mr.youngt for english he may have been the smartest and most devoted man I have ever met in my life. He challenges his students to be the best they can and will not accept any less. So many students and somewhat diverse but always an excellent time and with the new renovations it should be even better

Posted April 10, 2006

Baldwin offers a variety of courses for students. The teachers are dedicated and caring.

Posted August 22, 2003

I just recently graduated in January and was very pleased throughtout my attending years. The teachers and staff were very qualified and helpful both in academics and general help. The safety within the school is great, the security guards do a great job. The fellow students are a little on the other side. You have your bad ones, your upper class ones, and then you really nice ones. But if you have children attending or will be attending, my comments about fellow classmates would be to just mind your own business and to stay with your group of friends. But other than the classmates, the safety, disipline, activites, and teacher quality are rated very, very high. I was taught and brought up right in the Baldwin- Whitehall School District, and I am happy to say that I graduated from here.
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 73% in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

337 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

337 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

326 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

343 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students71%

Economically disadvantaged67%
Students with disabilities (IEP)56%
English language learners30%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4653 Clairton Blvd