Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I think they are nice teachers but not highly motivated to produce high achievers among their students. I don't see that extra effort on behalf of teachers to develop their students to become all they can be.

Amount of homework: Agree

I think they give enough homework, but do not understand if the homework given is helping my child do better in school. How do they measure if the homework is having a great impact on student learning? I often feel they give homework just so they can say they are giving homework. I would like to see them take 1/2 of the kids who are already good students and not give them homework the entire year. I would like them to give the other half of the good students homework throughout the year and measure the progress of all. I'd like to see what the outcomes show.

Develops character: Neutral

I think our principal can only see things from her point of view....She doesn't close her mouth long enough to hear why others may feel a decision she's made isn't fair to all concerned. She does want everyone to be honest and does her best to encourage honesty when being honest doesn't cause anyone to question her judgement. She's a pretty good principal,but she has tunnel vision and not so great leadership qualities. Not many parents appear to want to follow her as a leader of the school. Parents willingly come to school to see their kids perform in a school activity, but very few participate in PTO meetings. There's a reason for their lack of involvement.

Carmalt's Principal cares about her students, but she is unable to get much parental support or involvement because she tends to talk far more than she's willing to listen. She shuts down parent ideas often and tends to project a doom and gloom attitude toward trying new things or doing things differently. As a parent I expect her to support school policies, but when policies aren't working, I would like her to willingly explain to the board why parents say some policies aren't working and what can be done to make policies work better. She tends to use parent meetings to lecture instead of allowing parents to be empowered to work on some things they feel will benefit the school.

My child has attended Carmalt since kindergarten & we have been extremely pleased with the education she has received. The school is run effectively & efficiently. I'm thankful that public schools like this are available here in Pittsburgh. I'm also grateful that issues are dealt with and not swept under the rug & there is constant communication from leadership. Dr. Och is a great, hands on principle who knows her students and CARES. I have and will continue to reccomend Carmalt to other Pittsburgh parents looking for a magnet school.

This school is possibly one of the worst in the Pittsburgh Public school district. When I say this, I am NOT over exaggerating. The principal is, like another parent said, accusatory, insane, and abusive. She uses her authority to take control of the kids in a manner that penalizes all kids for what a few kids do. Take it from me, I attended this school for 9 years until I graduated to high school. Dr. Och is a nutjob who abuses her power as principal to intimidate the teachers into doing what she wants, including the social worker, who has lacked doing her job ever since I have been there. Instead, she spends her time bullying children as the principal advises her to do. Many parents say this school is wonderful, but do they truly know what is transpiring behind closed doors? I'm a straight A honor student and was treated so terribly by this principal and her staff. Don't let the name of the school fool you. I didn't learn any science or technology until entering high school. Long story short, don't try and send your kid to Carmalt. Take it from a student who spent 9 years of their life in this school.

My son went here for kindergarten, we were excited as he is very interested in and advanced at science and technology. The choice of kindergarten teachers was dismal, he did well even though his teacher was apathetic, yelled at kids for being, um, kids and was stuck in the dark ages of education. She was waiting to retire. The leadership here, or should I say lack thereof, has obviously impacted the morale and efforts of teachers and students. The rules are extremely authoritative and all the kids seemed to pay for a few who acted out. The principal is a wack job, to say the least. She is extremely condescending, disrespectful and accusatory in situations that don't warrant any over reaction. I switched my son to Brookline, as at least 3 other mothers of kindergartners did for first grade. Frankly, he learned science and technology on a level that should have been fit for Carmalt. And the principal there is amazing. Approachable, present and normal. If you are thinking of Carmalt, just talk to Dr. Oche to see what you think and you will see what I mean.

ANY PARENT OF A CHILD WITH SPECIAL NEEDS, I ENCOURAGE YOU NEVER SEND YOUR CHILD HERE OR TRY! I had spoken to the principal there about registering my 4 yr. old for kindergarten. He is autistic. Once the principal heard that he was autistic she said her class was full. Whispering, she told me that their test scores were low and that Concord Elem. was much better. Today my son's teacher got a call from her with her screaming at her saying, "How dare you refer a special ed student to our school, I have worked to hard to get this school where it needs to be!" His teacher had to tell her she had her hands full with students to get her off the phone. So she tried to persuade me not to register him there. Please pass this along! I will be doing all I can to stop this discrimination!!!

I hate this school and the teachers have a hard time understanding what the kids and capable. A lot of them also scream for now reason and jump to conclusion. Student

The principal Dr. Och is the sweetest most caring person I've seen within the pittsburgh public school district to date. My daughter ended up leaving this school however due to a few problems. It seemed to me that the kids were a bit out of control there, the class size was too big for her to learn to her potential. She also had problems with some of the older kids cursing and being mean to her. I was ecstatic when my daughter got accepted but it didn't work out for us. I must say that I don't think it was a lack of effort, just a situation that got to big to handle. The teachers seemed a bit overwhelmed as well.

Last modified Pittsburgh Carmalt K-8 is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.