Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted April 13, 2016
I think the office clerks, crossing guard, and bus monitor aide have great attitudes, and all do a very good job. I think our principal tries hard, but needs more training so she can become a better principal. I think teachers need some incentives that will cause them to strive to become better teachers than they currently are. Many need to learn how to teach without boring their students. Learning should be fun. I think students need some incentives that help them want to be better students and learn more......They need to develop more habits that cause them to work ahead so they are always challenging their teachers to do more.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted April 13, 2016
I think they are nice teachers but not highly motivated to produce high achievers among their students. I don't see that extra effort on behalf of teachers to develop their students to become all they can be.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted April 13, 2016
I think they give enough homework, but do not understand if the homework given is helping my child do better in school. How do they measure if the homework is having a great impact on student learning? I often feel they give homework just so they can say they are giving homework. I would like to see them take 1/2 of the kids who are already good students and not give them homework the entire year. I would like them to give the other half of the good students homework throughout the year and measure the progress of all. I'd like to see what the outcomes show.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted April 13, 2016
I don't see what the school does to help students develop these qualities. My daughter actually became more relaxed and lost a bit of her desire to reach higher goals after she came to Carmalt.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted April 13, 2016
I think the school does a pretty good job in developing respect in its students, but again cultural differences need to be better understood.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted April 13, 2016
I think the school does it's best, but I don't feel those in charge of helping to develop compassion, caring, and empathy in students, understand a lot about cultural differences that impact how students think.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted April 13, 2016
I think our principal can only see things from her point of view....She doesn't close her mouth long enough to hear why others may feel a decision she's made isn't fair to all concerned. She does want everyone to be honest and does her best to encourage honesty when being honest doesn't cause anyone to question her judgement. She's a pretty good principal,but she has tunnel vision and not so great leadership qualities. Not many parents appear to want to follow her as a leader of the school. Parents willingly come to school to see their kids perform in a school activity, but very few participate in PTO meetings. There's a reason for their lack of involvement.

Pittsburgh Carmalt K-8 3

Posted April 13, 2016
Carmalt's Principal cares about her students, but she is unable to get much parental support or involvement because she tends to talk far more than she's willing to listen. She shuts down parent ideas often and tends to project a doom and gloom attitude toward trying new things or doing things differently. As a parent I expect her to support school policies, but when policies aren't working, I would like her to willingly explain to the board why parents say some policies aren't working and what can be done to make policies work better. She tends to use parent meetings to lecture instead of allowing parents to be empowered to work on some things they feel will benefit the school.

Pittsburgh Carmalt K-8 5

Posted September 26, 2013
My child has attended Carmalt since kindergarten & we have been extremely pleased with the education she has received. The school is run effectively & efficiently. I'm thankful that public schools like this are available here in Pittsburgh. I'm also grateful that issues are dealt with and not swept under the rug & there is constant communication from leadership. Dr. Och is a great, hands on principle who knows her students and CARES. I have and will continue to reccomend Carmalt to other Pittsburgh parents looking for a magnet school.

Posted April 20, 2013
This school is possibly one of the worst in the Pittsburgh Public school district. When I say this, I am NOT over exaggerating. The principal is, like another parent said, accusatory, insane, and abusive. She uses her authority to take control of the kids in a manner that penalizes all kids for what a few kids do. Take it from me, I attended this school for 9 years until I graduated to high school. Dr. Och is a nutjob who abuses her power as principal to intimidate the teachers into doing what she wants, including the social worker, who has lacked doing her job ever since I have been there. Instead, she spends her time bullying children as the principal advises her to do. Many parents say this school is wonderful, but do they truly know what is transpiring behind closed doors? I'm a straight A honor student and was treated so terribly by this principal and her staff. Don't let the name of the school fool you. I didn't learn any science or technology until entering high school. Long story short, don't try and send your kid to Carmalt. Take it from a student who spent 9 years of their life in this school.

1550 Breining St, Pittsburgh, PA  15226
Last modified Pittsburgh Carmalt K-8 is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.