Pittsburgh, PA
Students enrolled: 1,424

Posted February 18, 2013
If you have a gifted student, do NOT send them to baldwin/bethel/whatever. The experience there will not be the same. While the "regular" classes are absolutely comparable to what you'll find in Baldwin/Bethel, Upper St. Clair is distinguishable by the quality of their honors and AP classes. We had lots of them. And that's what gifted kids are gonna take. These gifted kids are getting amazing deals on colleges are consistently going to top tiers, so go to upper st clair. come one.

Upper Saint Clair High School 1

Posted June 07, 2012
I can't name one teacher that was not prone to favoritism. It was downright annoying every single day coming to school knowing I had to face my snobby classmates. It is NOT a friendly atmosphere whatsoever.. I am so glad I go to a different school now because it reassured me the fact that it wasn't me that was the problem, it was the school.

Upper Saint Clair High School 1

Posted March 07, 2012
I am a former student. I attended Upper St. Clair (USC) for grades 9 and 10. My father was then transferred to Canada. I would rate the school experience at USC as poor in comparison. Teacher quality poor, academic quality dismal. I found that there was a much greater focus on extra curricular activities over academic ones. While the school facilities were better than the Canadian ones, the teacher quality and involvement was far superior in Canada. I currently live in California. You can see why the American education system is so poor compared to other countries. The fact that a lousy school like USC can get such a high rating shows the problems with education in the USA. When it came to math, geography, history, English, writing etc. The Canadian school far out matched USC. I had to work much harder to succeed there, yet my experience was much more fulfilling. I found the teachers and the administration completely out of touch and in some case quite unprofessional. The classes too large, and disorganized. In the Canadian school you were expected to work more on your own but were offered more guidance and were expected to act more respectful.

Upper Saint Clair High School 2

Posted January 14, 2012
One parent writes "the school is very highly regarded nationally"; I would be curious to know where that information came from ~ the realtor? This district, or state has a "blue ribbon" award program in place, that basically requires administration to pull a couple of teachers from a school each year to fill out the paperwork, so that the school qualifies for an award. Realtors love it, helps them sell properties in the area. I once asked administration if they ever followed up their AP students to see how many had placed out of their college classes. They had not, and secondly, they also did not acknowledge that most of their students did not even take the exams. According to the students they felt they were not adequately prepared.

Posted November 04, 2010
One reviewer stated "students come from families who are committed to academic success". Well I can tell you that this statement is not always true. I am an alumni and I graduated in 2006. I had many friends who's parents did not stress academic success. Class size is not that big, teachers are willing to work with the students. There is a resource center where kids can go and get help on their free time. They don't have study hall. They want us to learn to manage our time. My freshman year the old principle (no longer there) told my class "You don't have study hall in college so why not learn time management now"

Posted March 24, 2010

Posted February 09, 2010
I am an alumnus of USC HS. Whithout a doubt, this school prepared me for college! The wide variety of class offerings, and extracurricular activities are excellent. I can't speak of the current faculty (as I graduated almost 20 years ago), but while attending, I found most faculty members very qualified. While the school is very affluent and has very snobby cliques, most students can find a niche of friends with whom they share interests.

Upper Saint Clair High School 3

Posted January 30, 2010
The high school and district are vastly overrated. The secret to this district's success is that its students come from families who are committed to academic success and learning in spite of the mediocrity of the district. This school district's achievement scores would be modest if they didn't have the benefit of the most highly educated and affluent population to draw from. As one student said, if you're not a jock or a cheerleader, the teachers and administrators don't care about the kid. Also, the teachers and administrators give preferential treatment to kids whose parents play school politics. If you have an academically gifted child, save your money and go to a district with lower taxes and a stable population like Baldwin, Bethel Park, West Jefferson etc. Your child will achieve the same results at a much lower cost.

Posted November 03, 2009
Upper St. Clair HS has excellent teachers and parents are active. The school is very highly regarded nationally which benefits students applying to top colleges. Extracurricular activities are popular and include traditional activities such as sports and band, to overseas travel for those students interested. I have 4 boys and have been in tune and very pleased with the school.

Posted March 26, 2009
Coming from a current senior, Upper St. Clair High School is without a doubt the best public high school in Pittsburgh, and probobly Pennsylvania. I don't know what some of these people are talking about saying that kids don't learn anything, this school will prepare you for college. Period. Almost EVERYONE goes to college, in fact I don't know of a single person who isn't attending one next year, the point is that the student body is full of nice friendly people and the faculty cares about the education of each and every student. If you want a good school district in western Pennsylvania, USC baby

Upper Saint Clair High School
1825 McLaughlin Run Rd, Pittsburgh, PA  15241
Last modified Upper Saint Clair High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Upper Saint Clair High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top