Pittsburgh, PA

Posted July 17, 2015
Ellis is like a college-level experience for K-12. The curriculum is top-notch and the focus on women's achievements and empowerment sets girls up for success. The education my daughter is getting at Ellis is incomparable.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 17, 2015
As a parent of a girl who was emotionally bullied, I firmly believe the school did everything effectively to positively reverse the situation. I was involved in multiple conversations with the division leader and teachers. My daughter and the other student worked with the counselor to amicably resolve their tension with one another.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted July 17, 2015
Without question, respect is an integral part of the curriculum. Ellis is a joyful learning environment, but the students are fully aware that the must respect the teachers and staff at all times. Additionally, in the Middle School the girls are taught not to enter another student's locker without permission. The are accountable for the own personal items as well as books and ipads that are borrowed on a regular basis.

Posted July 17, 2015
I have been a parent for over 15 years at Ellis. The school has transformed both of my daughters, but for two distinct and different reasons. My one daughter was very introverted and hesitant to take risks. She blossomed at Ellis with the caring and dedicated staff. My other daughter has truly a love of life and sometimes needs to have her enthusiasm contained and at times redirected. Ellis provides a nurturing environment that allows her to fully understand the rules without crushing her spirit.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 17, 2015
The teachers at Ellis go well above and beyond when teaching my daughter in various subject matters. One teacher in particular even took time to meet with several graduates (former A.P. Art History students) of Ellis and guide them through the Carnegie International exhibit. They spent the afternoon reflecting on the current artists and she gave them her perspective on their works.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted July 15, 2015
Overall, my daughter has enjoyed her classes and is generally fond of her teachers. Like all students, she sometimes feels insecure or uncertain of her place in the classroom, but with encouragement and at parent-teacher conferences, we have been able to target her particular needs in this area. She seems to respect the learning process and feels that her teachers are very available to her when she has questions. She emails them frequently in the evenings if she has questions and they are always quite prompt in getting back to her. That far exceeds my expectations.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 15, 2015
The homework seems reasonable. My daughter tends to procrastinate a bit, so sometimes it is more than an hour of work in an evening. With her teacher's help and our guidance, she is improving in her time management skills.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted July 15, 2015
They continually encourage my daughter to keep trying. They respect her struggles and seek to find ways to help her push through her insecurities. I love how Ellis has helped her to be her own coach. It's been great to see her develop in this way.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted July 15, 2015
This is one of the best things about Ellis. It engenders respect among and between its students. Teachers are respectful of students and parents and that, in turn, models the behaviors that the students enact with each other. I have encountered very few uncaring, callous, or unsympathetic students at Ellis.

Posted July 15, 2015
When my daughter was enrolled in public school for 1st and 2nd grade, she was in a class of 32 children, bullied, punched in the stomach by a fellow classmate, and generally ignored by teachers unless she was upset or crying. As a result, she had trouble sleeping, generally disliked school, and we were alarmed. When we decided to transition her to Ellis, we were very hopeful that these issues would be solved. We were absolutely right in our choice. We could not be more thrilled with how she has grown and developed over the past three years. Raising a child has many challenges and one hopes that the schooling component will help them learn and grow and NOT be a deterrent to well-being. My daughter has been provided with consistent nurturing and guidance throughout her school experience. If conflict arose between her and another student, mediation was immediate and resolution found. When she struggled in math, she received extra efforts from her teacher and was assigned an upper school mentor. She has been given opportunities to grow and become a confidant young woman who can navigate her school world and translate those skills to the greater world. She has learned to communicate more effectively, compromise better, persevere when difficulty arises, and to gain confidence to overcome her personal struggles. The Ellis teachers have responded thoroughly and enthusiastic to my few queries about both personal and educational issues. I cannot stress enough how superb Ellis has been for my daughter. I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending Ellis to any girl. She is empowered and enriched by her school experiences and I am ever grateful that the opportunity to send her to Ellis has been available to our family. Thank you, Ellis!

6425 5th Ave, Pittsburgh, PA  15206