Pittsburgh, PA
Before care: Yes

Posted April 20, 2014
We love Ellis. The teachers and staff are amazing people who want the best for our daughter. It has helped her become more confident and willing to try new things. So glad our daughter is an Ellis girl!

Posted April 17, 2014
The Ellis School is a 100 year old model for single sex girl's education. It has a culture and program dedicated to the success of female studetns and leaders. What I respect most about Ellis is the continued dedication to providing a state of the art education with the latest teaching styles and technology. My daughter comes come from school every day happy, and skips to school in the morning. This is not a sentiment that any school can easily create in students and it is emblematic of the culture of excellent. As time goes by, we are learning more and more about the necessity and impace of a single sex education especically for young girls. In our society at the corporate, political and leadershp venues women are underrepresented. A significant proportion of our female leaders in these domains have been a part of a single sex education which adds further credence to Ellis and its mission. I simply cannot imagine another school for my daughter.

Posted April 15, 2014
Ellis is an amazing school! As a parent, I very much value the strong focus on learning that's a key part of the curriculum. In addition, there are many sports opportunities currently available, as well as initiatives to further increase its athletic program. The school provides an environment that reinforces all the right values -- academics, sports, leadership -- that develop a young girl into a well-rounded individual. It's also important to note that Ellis girls set high standards for themselves and in the process, encourage each other to stretch. And last but not least, the Ellis community has a lot of fun together!!

Posted April 15, 2014
My daughter is just finishing the 9th grade at Ellis. She has been there since 6th grade. She now says she wishes she'd been there since K-garten! When she came she was a bit behind those who had been there a long time, but the teachers were amazing and patient and she caught up soon. She is now exploring arts such as photography and ceramics, and has joined a sports team. She has learned to analyze and think for herself, and how to be a stronger writer. She is also gaining confidence in making presentations and talking with adults. I can see her growing in the all-girls environment, where popularity is determined by a girl's deeper character, not by how many boys pay attention to her. In the past there were times when Ellis was so focused on hard work that the girls seemed too stressed, but for the past two years the administration has been really focused on the "whole child" philosophy. They now make sure that there aren't too many projects due at the same time or too many tests the same week, and they encourage the girls to figure out how to balance academics with sports, volunteering, family life, and anything else they want to pursue. I highly recommend Ellis!

Posted April 15, 2014
I love Ellis! They teach and encourage empowerment to the girls and I have witnessed first hand how it has shaped my daughter. My daughter has had the opportunity to participate in sports that I know she would not have tried if she were at any other school. The environment and supportiveness of the teachers and staff are second to none. I cannot fathom sending my daughters anywhere else.

Posted April 15, 2014
There are many things that distinguish Ellis: Caring teachers. The best student/faculty ratio in the city. A learning environment that combines cutting-edge developmental knowledge about how girls learn best with exceptionally strong, hands-on interdisciplinary curriculum. Stanford University has rated Ellis among the top schools in the U.S, for its innovative approach to design thinking in education. The new Active Classroom for Girls (the product of a recent E.E.Ford grant) and other initiatives are strengthening Ellis's standing as a leader in STEM education for girls. Beyond the terrific academic experience, Ellis instills great core values -- personal integrity, kindness, work ethic, responsibility, thoughtfulness -- that build self-confidence and an intrepid sense of creativity in students. Graduates are prepared, self-reliant and motivated to succeed, typically outperforming their Ellis GPAs in college. This is no one-size-fits-all education, but very customized and responsive to each student's talents, needs and aspirations. The sunny, upbeat girl-power atmosphere nurtures strong, healthy individuals and prepares its students well for success in the wider world.

Posted February 06, 2014
My daughter is in the Lower School and she loves going to school everyday and has really enjoyed the school. The curriculum is in-depth in STEM and art and music. Additionally, the girls write in journals everyday so they really learn to express themselves in the written format. The smile on her face when I pick her up is all the recommendation I need each day to know that we made the right decision to send her to Ellis. We utilize the after school program, both the extended day and classes which conveniently runs until 5:45 and on teacher workdays.

Posted January 30, 2014
As an Ellis parent, I am constantly impressed by the value that the all girls experience brings to my daughter's education. Everything that Ellis does is about how girls learn best. I am so grateful that my daughter has an opportunity to be part of a culture that encourages her to ask questions, find her voice, develop her self confidence and grow as a learner every single day. The program is a great blend of tradition and innovation and the teachers take great pride in getting to know every student well. Ellis has become my daughter's second family, and we are so grateful that she has this unique and extraordinary opportunity.

Posted January 30, 2014
The Ellis School provides an exceptional education to girls PreK-12. From their youngest years through the middle school and then as they grow to be young women, each and every girl is recognized, valued, challenged, supported, and believed in. My girl entered in 6th, and now as a 10th grader she freely articulates how it's made a difference in her life to be at a small school with a caring faculty who know her strengths, help her with her challenges, and celebrate her individuality. She can be exactly who she is at Ellis, and be accepted. I feel that its the greatest gift that I can give to my daughter, to have her in an environment that is teaching her to believe in herself, find her own voice, and become a leader.

Posted January 05, 2014
It's been "several years" since my 2 daughters attended Ellis. I simply want to report to prospective parents that the eldest is now doing her final year of residency after completing a MD/PhD program; my youngest is in a PhD program in the sciences... They have stood on the foundation Ellis provided them via rigorous, meaningful, and interesting curriculum/classes led by a passionate faculty. I'm as pleased as punch and highly recommend Ellis for your daughter.

Ellis School