Northeast Intermediate School

Public | 6-8 | 754 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 26, 2013

I'm a student here at NEIS and I swear this school is most likely to be the most fun I've had since Elementary School. I'm going into 7th grade and last year was fun and ok. But the thing about the school I don't like is the School lunch tables and you have to be assigned to a table. We should be able to sit with our friends so we could have a small break in the middle of the day to chat with our friends. But this school is ok and I'm hoping this year will be better.

Posted July 23, 2013

Absouletuly HORRIBLE! I hate this school my child will not be ready for high school! There is no teaching or learning I would reccomend going to any other school than this WARNING: DON'T SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL!

Posted July 19, 2013

Disgusting. I hate that my kids have to go here. No learning, teaching or advancement. When he leaves this school, he will NOT be ready for HS.

Posted June 30, 2013

Horrible School!! Been dealing with this school for two years. I feel that it was my worst mistake as a parent moving to this school district (moved out of state). No support for learning disabled/autistic spectrum kids. My two boys at this school came from out of state, two years ahead and now are bored, unchallenged, doing subpar academics. No communication, never know when kids will be off school/half days, etc. Often find out night before. Even with having 504s, no communication. Never informed of any issues (discipline, academic, good or struggling). We are trying to move out!!!!!!

Posted June 27, 2013

This is a notification to all parents and students: Parents! Do NOT enter your kids into this school. I moved to scranton in the 7th grade at the beginning of the year. It was all fun 'till the second week when things started to settle. The teachers are crude and unfair and treat every kid differently. NO kid is treated equally. I've been here where students vote the "best years"...worst school ever. Avoid if possible. Those students must have had the LOWEST expectations on Earth! Your kid will be bullied and the teachers will pick on them no matter what! STUDENTS THAT ARE IN SIXTH GRADE: this school is TERRIBLE it is full of wannabe gangsters and the teachers only treat you that way because that dont want your parents to pull you out of this school. ive been in this school for the "best years" it was terrible. The teachers are angry people with no experience (except Mr. Lavelle and Mrs. Bray who are awesome!) who are paid to sit at their desks and read something completely irrelevent like a newspaper or something like that while the kids do the worst and most non-challenging work that you learn absolutely nothing from and you NEED to learn or you would be nowhere in the world.

Posted April 18, 2012

My child is a smart, motivated & well behaved student who clearly does NOT belong at this school. First of all, she never has any real amount of homework. There are never any grade appropriate take home projects to work on. She talks about doing "busy work" and classes that are clearly out of control. Nothing positive to report on the academic front. She is not being challenged at all. The grades are clearly padded to pass everyone along. I've never been at a school event that could be characterized as impressive. Generally speaking, the student body is loud, rude and completely disrespectful of the faculty and one another. I understand that the demographic for this particular school isn't the easiest to deal with but the school's administration with support from district officials has got to step up the effort. In addition, there are too many faculty members who are just going through the motions. Little to no parental involvement is a problem there too. The time spent at this school has proven to be wasted time during crucial years of development. I've always been a proponent of public schools but, this one is awful. Bottom line: Go elsewhere if it is possible.

Posted April 17, 2012

Worst school. Ever. None of the kids are treated equally. If a smaller, quieter, prettier girl wears a purple tank top all the teachers will flock to yell at her instead of yelling at the Bigger girl. The teachers will pick favorites and pick on one specific student. A boy was in my class and said one small word to his neighbor, and was told off by the teacher who decided to target him instead of the whole disorderly class. It honestly shocked me. Did i mention its very dirty? Well, it is. I found a cockroach on the floor of the caf. I dont even know where the taxes we pay go because half the classes cant afford a book. I wish I could give this school a zero but there is no option for that. Also, many students think youre a nerd if you get good grades. But its cool if youre failing....If youre expecting a good education thats way to high of an expectation.Seriously.

Posted April 25, 2011

Horrible communication between teachers and parents. Angry people getting a paycheck to sit at their desks and read the newspaper while kids do 'busy work'

Posted January 6, 2011

Northeast Scranton Intermediate needs to treat all the kids the same way when it come to fighting but they don't. if there is no teacher or adult to see what happen or what is going on or hear the child saying thing about other child then just one child should not get in trouble both or all childern fighting or talking about each other should. they should not only go by what other children say. This kid was saying thing about two of my kids and my kids was saying thing about her. I think she should have gotten suspended to not just my two kids. this kid just got into a fight with another kid were they where hitting each other and she did not get suspended but the other kid did. my kids didn't hit her and they got suspended. this is there first time getting in to trouble at school. they did not get no warning or write warning. it not fair that my two and the other kid got suspended and she did'nt. it becouse she is a stright A student. she should not get treated any better the all the other students just becouse they are stright A students. All the students should be treated the same way if one gets suspended then both party should

Posted February 5, 2010

This is so true, I never know what is going on. only a phone call the night before any event.

Posted January 19, 2010

This is the worst school any of my children have ever been in. There is no comunication between teachers and parents and the administration has a no care additude in regards to whats best for the children. So poor I'm now paying for private school.

Posted January 14, 2010

This school is horrible. It's top two administrators are horrendous and very difficult to deal with. My son, with autism is struggling dearly without much support. This is by far the worst school he has ever attended. I rate this school a 0- a big fat zero!

Posted December 3, 2009

well this year im not toohappy my daughter was disiciplined for something and i was never notified of this. I would have liked to have been more involved with this process. I thought parents and teachers were towork together.

Posted October 7, 2009

I just started here as a sixth grader! i love it!!! my favorite teacher is mrs. stanchak! i love miss regan and ms. fox as well!!!

Posted June 11, 2009

North east is the best school ever. The teachers there are really nice especially mrs. Nicastro and mrs. Petrillo they really taught me a lot unlike west where everyone over here doesnt even know what a 90 degree angle is or a thesis statement. North east gave me lots of good memories and i wish i could go back! neis is best

Posted March 1, 2009

This school is a great school, all of my friends go there which is also what makes it great. Some things i definitely dont like is that we have to have assigned lunch tables!! I am in 7th grade and the 7th grade has to have assigned tables by number. Mrs. Rose counted individually like 'Sit at 1,2,3,4,5,6...' and soo on. I sit at 11 and i sit with people i dont talk to, that i dont get along with, and i am very squished. But I think that everyone agrees with me on this lunch thing. It is not fair when people get written up for being 1 min. late. I can see if it is constant but if it is there first time? We have Mr.Schaeffer which likes to do diff. things and have fun! I have one more year and id like to make the best of it!!

Posted September 24, 2008

I am currently a student in NorthEast and its my 2nd year. Its a really good school, but I think that some things aren't fair. Such we have to eat at assigned lunch tables. Last year we had to be absolutly quiet before we could, so sometimes I had to eat late and go to classes late! I think they should change that rule because lunch is supposed to be for talking with your friends not people you don't like or don't even know. My teachers are great this year and the new princaple.

Posted June 3, 2008

I have been going to Northeast for three years. I have met so many new people and have made so many new friends. I have learned a lot, and have made many fun memories. But, I have also run into some teachers who were, well, not my favorite. I also did not agree with some language directed towards students, and thought some punishments were unnesscessary, such as assigned lunch seats. I also think students get written up for absurd reasons such as 30 seconds late. I will be leaing Northeast this year and I will miss it, but then again I will be happy to leave some of the things I do not like about it.

Posted June 4, 2007

The school is extremely diverse and lots of fun! I think it needs improvement on parental contact. There is no school calendar provided and they are not using the phone mail system. Finding out about early dismissals is difficult. Faculty and staff are very dedicated.

Posted October 14, 2006

Northeast is the best school ever, I was really nervous when I came but now it is the best school I have ever been to the teachers are sooo nice the push you to do you best and mrs.dixon and mr.bersinski are sooo nice I never want to leave :)

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

240 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2012.

240 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

255 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2012.

256 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2012.

209 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

208 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2012.

216 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 73% in 2012.

209 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students65%

Economically disadvantaged45%
Students with disabilities (IEP)20%
English language learners11%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students66%

Students with disabilities (IEP)53%
English language learners60%

Asian 1% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

Adams Ave and Gibson St