Academy Park High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted January 7, 2005

I was a graduate of Academy Park High School and later went on to work there part time, so I have seen both sides of the desk. I have to agree with some of the reviews here. Since I have graduated (1990), the quality of education has gone down hill, but if defense of the staff, some of the children make it very difficult to want to put in 150%. I have had a desk thrown at me by a student and then threatened because I asked him to stop disturbing the class. He then went on to bring the teacher to tears with his behaviour. What are you to do in a situation like that? Talk to the parents? They had more threats to add to the sons...the problem starts at home and carries on in school. Start there and you will be amazed how much better A.P. will be.

Posted December 26, 2004

As of the academic 2004-2005 school year I was a senior attending Academy Park HS. I was appalled with the lack of attention that the Advanced Placement students received from the faculty at Academy Park, most notably the principal. I was enrolled in the Advanced Placement English course and met great difficulties with the staff. Our teaching instructor retired mid-way through the year (made well known to students and faculty alike) however the problem was the whole week after her departure our AP course went without a teacher. Finally we requested a meeting with the principal to discuss the situation and so forth; the principal refused to answer our questions, was very rude, and deceived us. I, of course, was very displeased with the principal's inability to uphold standards within the high school; a negative atmosphere hovered over the High School. The teachers are very helpful and love their jobs.

Posted December 20, 2004

Academy Park High School is one of the high schools that is failing our children in the district of south east delco. the teachers have no time to help some of the children when they need it and if you are waiting for a call back well you better keep waiting. also the school has a program for alternative lifestyles. yes, they show your child if he or she is having a sexual identity problem you can go to a support group ran by the teachers and they will show you how to handle yourself when you talk to someone who is not living an Alternative lifestyle. I can not afford to take my children out of this school but I will let others know how they are. as a former student I'am ashamed to say that I or my children go to Academy Park (I went to sharon Hill high).

Posted October 15, 2004

I'm a junior at AP, and these reviews make me very upset. I am in all but one honors class and i am even in Advanced Placement history. I have gone to southeast delco schools my whole life, which means if a student actually works hard, and is willing to learn they will do great. Parents have to stop whining on here about bad teachers and a lack of education, and realize it is probably themselves, or their children who made their experience at Academy Park bad. Also, I am glad i go to AP, and not a school like Interboro, because i will turn out an overall better person by going to school with a mixed student population. Go AP!!! C/O 2006. --A.Z.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 8, 2004

My daughter attended 9th grade the school year of September 2004 to June 2004 and her experience as a student and mine as a caring parent was a nightmare. The academics are lacking and she was in advanced courses! Racism in reverse (black against white) is at an all time high in this school and my child being an African American student was jeered daily by other students because she chose not to fit in with the ruling (Black) status quo. The school superiors are quick to discipline a student for failing to adhere to the dress code but they allow the student mass to violate the state legislated laws against 'Bullying' within/outside their premises. I would not recommend this school for any parent to send their children to because the conditions are deplorable!

Posted June 7, 2004

I am an Academy Park graduate of the Class of 01'. I am appalled to see what some people have written in and so I will tell you that they are wrong! I am an average learner but a hard worker and that is why I made the grades I did. I was never 'pushed' through a class, if I didn't understand something, I asked! All of my teachers were happy to help before, during or after class. I have never met teachers who cared more about their students! Perhaps the school's state test scores are so high but I can truly say I was 100% pepared for college, which I succeed in as well. I have a 3.51 and will be graduating in one years with my B.S. in Business. Here's a tip: Try working hard! Take some responcibilty parents, get involved that too makes a difference!

Posted May 11, 2004

I'm not a parent of this school but I actually am a freshman. Now I've heard many bad things about this school. I've heard that the teachers don't care and the students are extreme (in a bad way). But actually, I've only heard this from people who are on the outside looking in. I'm here everyday and let me say, I love this school! I'm not extra smart, I'm average but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. At first I was afraid to go to this school but now I'm afraid I'll have to leave after senior year. So I hope you don't let what other people say about this school determine your decision to come here. It's a great school that's just infamous because of it's location.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 2, 2004

I was a student at this school, and graduated in 2000. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. Out of my four years there, I had five good teachers. Five! That's disgraceful. I guess what really sums it up about most of the teachers in this school, is that they simply don't care unless you're a 'gifted student'. That means that you are in programs such as Enrichment, for the smarter students, and can make the school look good by winning debates, which is completely ridiculous. When I went to college, I was in a lot of trouble the first semester, because I didn't learn the things I was supposed to in high school. Thanks a lot, AP.

Posted April 23, 2004

I took my son out of this school in his senior year. This school is the pits. Most of the kids there are failing but when they leave and go somewhere else they do great. My son will be graduation from another high school and I'm so glad that his diplomia will not say that he graduated from Academy Park High School. I only have one child but if I had it to do over again I would send my son somewhere else from the beginning. I feel so sorry for my neices and nephews that have to go there. My family can't afford to send their children to a private school like I did.

Posted February 16, 2004

I was a student at Academy Park and I have to say I didn't learn very much. I had a class called Problems of Democracy and in that class we did nothing but one page worksheets each day. I did have a few good teachers but about 90% of the teachers there do not care at all. I think they are too hard on the students and they pressure them too much. I graduated in 2000 and I felt as if the only reason I graduated was because they pushed me through.

Posted February 8, 2004

I've dealt with a few schools since I have 3 children. My youngest goes to Academy Park. I cringe everyday that she is there. The counselors and administrative staff have nothing but good things to say about the teachers but they each say almost the exact same thing like their reading from a script. While speaking so highly of the school and teachers, they're not listening to a word the students have to say or their needs. My child has only been there for about a year and a half yet in that time I feel like I've been beating my head against the wall. They've tried to schedule her for classes she has already had. The classes she is required to take and needs are always full. They try to put her in College Prep courses even though she needs applied courses (the reason she needed to be put in another class is because she failed the applied course). Yet, they tried to replace this course with a College Prep course. The College Prep classes are the only classes that always have room. What does that alone say to you? This school is only good for a child that is extremely intelligent or is able to learn on their own. All the others are just pushed along. It seems like more than half at this school are the others. I'm not saying all the teachers are not good. My child has come across a few good teachers. If you don't get one of the few, you can count on your child failing.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

178 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

185 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

179 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

201 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

White63%
Economically disadvantaged65%
Students with disabilities (IEP)33%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

300 Calcon Hook Rd