Academy Park High School

Public | 9-12 | 1222 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 20, 2012

this school is filled with great people and a great staff of employees but there is just a little more bad seeds in the patch which gives Academy Park Hs a bad reputation. Us kids that actually care about education cant get the attention we need to actually learn and the teachers try so hard but cant handle the kids that like to smart mouth and talk back or just be plain ignorant but i am not rating this school on the bad kids in there because it is not fair to deny great scores to the kids that try and work their butts off and thats also why alot dont try because they figure that theres no point to work hard when noone is going to compliment me on it so they give up but i would like to give it up to the kids that care and try everyday along with the staff(bless their hearts)for putting up with this malarchy for this long You are GREAT SCHOOL!!!! no matter what some website says

Posted October 16, 2010

Academy Park is a great public school. The teachers are dedicated, the kids want to learn and the parents care about their childrens' education!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 26, 2009

I'm a current student and honestly there is nothing wrong with our school. Very few fights and when there is the problem is taken care of right away. I don't see what everybody thinks is so wrong with it. The last time I know there was a big fight was in October and since then none really. A quick argument and then the vice prinicipal or the cops come in and stop it. The school is actually a great school and alot of smart kids go there.

Posted October 5, 2009

Academy Park HS educated my daughter from 2002 until 2006. She's now a sr. in college and has made the deans list six semesters out of 7! APHS prepared her for the success she's seen in college.

Posted August 7, 2009

I am parent of a former Freshmen of a AP. The school academics I really do not have a problem with because the teachers do challenge the children when it comes to tht aspect. My main concern is that the School District and the Admininstrators are ignoring the fact that the school has a hugh Gang problem and nobody is trying to take control of the problem. My child said to me, 'Everyday he goes to school he has to watch his back.' Just because of were he lives or who is his freinds and evening the type of clothing he wears. I had to approach the school on many occasion about him being treatened by another child. Another issue is that the kids does not wear uniforms.

Posted January 31, 2008

I'm concerned about the academic advantages that AP will give our daughter. She is and has been on the honor roll since grade school. I want her to be prepared for college and I'm not sure AP can do that? I am very concerned about their Music program and other extracurricular activities. This is the only Public H.S. in Sedelco and I think they could offer a lot more for the students in this area.I also know that you can't base everything on test scores. You really must be a advocate for your child and the children in your community and stay active and involved.

Posted November 1, 2007

I was in the second graduation class of AP; I can say without a doubt that the teachers were the best thing about AP. I left the area and attended Jr. High and some of High school in Philadelphia came back to AP in my Jr. Year. The teachers at AP were the most involved and concern group of teacher I have ever met until now I currently have a child that attends an all girls private school on the mainline. Therefore, I am currently paying tons of money for the attention that my child receives, that when I was in school I got free. . These teacher are tools that we are supposed to use in conjunction with what we teacher our kids.

Posted September 10, 2007

Another thing the gets under my skin about AP is that whenever you try to contact someone in the school. You go straight to voicemail instead of getting someone on the phone to express your concerns. I think someone should be available to talk to parents.

Posted July 23, 2007

I have two children in Academy Park, everyone is quick to blame the kids for the poor test scores, but you must know that not much is being done to help raise them by the staff. Most teachers just want to do their 8 hours and get out. The school is just not getting the funds it needs to help these kids-and lets be honest, it's because of where the school is and who attends it. If you want great education, teachers and programs you would have to move further out into the county. Our society gives opportunities to those who can 'pay' for them. Nothing is equal opportunity not even free education.

Posted June 29, 2007

I am an alumnus of Academy Park HS. The school started off with great expectations, with a great athletic program and lot of potential academically after merging 3 high schools together. I hear some of the students support the school and I applaud them for their school spirit, but the bottom line is the majority of the students are not receiving an adequate education. The state, as well as colleges and others look at the schools academic performance and it s not making the grade. I have moved far away from the area and when I compare the scores of my old high school and my children s high school and I m disappointing to see less than half of the students are not performing at grade level Math and reading. Although the scores are not first rate right now I am happy to see the school is improving.

Posted April 16, 2007

I am currently a student at academy Park (class of 2007) there is nothing really horrible about our school. their used to be a lot of tension but the new principles has straighted and strengthened the school's relationship with one another. With monthly 'bench-press' test, students have better chances of being prepared for pssa's and sat's. teachers are available everyday after school for daily tutoring and homework help. A lot is different now, new principle, new rules , and less problems.

Posted March 18, 2007

I went to AP and graduated in 2002. I had good times while there and learned a lot. AP gets a bad rep, but I think it is a good school. It does have problems, like any school does. However, it is no where near as bad as everyone tries to make it out to be. I had a lot of good teachers and made a lot of friends. My family did not have a lot of money, and I loved being able to go to a school every day where I did not feel sub-human because I wore cheap clothes or lived in an apartment.

Posted June 23, 2006

As a former student of AP, I think it is important to hear that there are stories of success. I graduated in 94 and have gone on to a very successful teaching career. This would not have possible if it were not for my teachers at AP. They changed my life, believed in me, and cared for all of us. I have been back many times, and I still see those same characteristics, so much so, that I would choose to teach there in a second. I was not a 'smart' student, or special in any way, I was a normal kid that worked really hard. Before you judge a school, look at yourself. Education is what you make of it;AP offers a lot, and if you want 'out' of the community,rather than complain,do something. I have my masters degree, and am working on my Phd at Penn. Thank you AP.

Posted June 18, 2006

AP used to be a good school. I had 3 children graduate from there and they have gone on to be sucessful adults. Now, there is a reverse racial problem, the dropout rate is unbelievable. If you have a child with any kind of special needs it is not taken care of and there are many children who are being pushed through who can't read. Parent involvement is not what it should be but to most of the teachers working there is just a job. The district has an awful rating and they are just worried about the PSSA scores, not teaching the children. Many children have and continue to fall through the cracks and there is no one to pick them up. Alot of us are stuck here for many reasons.

Posted May 29, 2006

APHS can be a great school. The teachers there are very involved and care about their students. More parental involvement is needed to keep kids out of trouble. You can only do so much with kids who are allowed to get away with murder at home. Unfortunately, it is a few bad kids that give the school a bad reputation.

Posted April 30, 2006

Problems do not all lie in the students alone. The faculty and administation are apathetic to the children on an emotional basis, and are even at times lazy. Some nice teachers, but it is a shame that they must make it so hard for a student to feell he/she is capable of doing more with their lives than working a minimum wage job or going to DCCC. They can't even believe it when seniors get into good schools! People can only live up to standards you set for them and urge them to reach.

Posted February 21, 2006

my child is now a senior at AP. I find that there is no help at all with the college process. The counsler for my child has slacked off. never being available for my child. My child takes honors classes. My other children are approaching high school level and i am praying that I can sell my house and get out of there as fast as poss. From the mouth of my senior ' Every year it gets worse and no student should have to deal with it' the discipline is out of control.

Posted August 22, 2005

As an alumni of AP & a parent with 2 kids there, I am pleased in some areas, while not so happy with others. Iwas not as prepared as I should have been for college, despite the fact that I was in the 'Honors' program. I am glad to see that things have changed and students are learning things that will help them in whatever field they choose. My husband also graduated from AP & vo-tech, which didn't prepare him enough for the real world after he found he didn't enjoy his career anymore. Because he didn't have algebra, etc., he couldn't enter his newly desired career & has now settled for something else. AP has changed this, too. My son is going to vo-tech while learning advanced math, etc. Many clubs & activities for all students to be involved in something! Some teachers care about struggling students, others don't.

Posted August 5, 2005

I went to this school from 8th to 12th grade and wouldn't want to have gone anywhere else.

Posted January 26, 2005

I was in the second graduating class of Academy Park and it hurts to see the reviews about a school that was so promising. As for the students who feel that the school is a great place. I can understand that and it's good to have school pride but as I look at your scores compared to the state you are not getting the job done. The school is not even making the state averages. Maybe some of the kids are getting something out but by in large you are not doing well at all. I have spoken to relatives and friends and Academy Park is failing its students. I no longer live in the area but the school my kids go to now always exceeds the state average and it s not just the teachers, it s the children and parents want to. Where is that AP pride?

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

178 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

185 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

179 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

201 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

White63%
Economically disadvantaged65%
Students with disabilities (IEP)33%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian 1% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

300 Calcon Hook Rd