K-8 & Ungraded
Public charter
State College, PA
After care: No

Posted April 02, 2015
Young Scholars of Central PA continues to impress us. Listening to our son share with our family what he loves about school brings a smile to my face.

Posted January 24, 2015
Both of my children go to Young Scholars of Central PA Charter School. We could not be happier there! I am a very involved parent and communicate often with the teachers. Contrary to some posts, I know that all of the teachers that my children have had are certified elementary teachers with some even having a masters degree. All of the teachers that we have had experiences with are very caring and have my children's best interests at heart. The staff is all very friendly and I love that the principal knows all of the students by name. I would highly recommend YSCP to any family that is looking around at schools.

Posted January 24, 2015
Between two states, and 3 other school districts, Young Scholars has been the best fit for my son. He has never been this motivated to learn to read. Speak Chinese, as well as English. And genuinely happy to go to school in the morning. I have not met a teacher, or administrator, that is not willing to go above and beyond to help him, excite him, and motivate him.

Posted January 23, 2015
YSCP aims to treat everyone, whether student, staff, or parent, like a family. I was welcomed into this family from day one, and I can tell you that I have never worked with such a caring, friendly, knowledgable staff before. Every teacher bends over backwards for the students at YSCP. The staff is not only highly experienced, but many teachers have multiple certifications and degrees. I am proud to call this school home.

Posted January 22, 2015
Inexperienced teachers combined with weak, ineffectual administration. We might as well be home-schooling our children with the amount of time we spend tutoring on material that was not taught effectively in the classroom. Too much "independent learning" (placing the burden on parents to teach the children) and too much classtime spent in front of Disney videos.

Posted January 20, 2015
YSCP does an excellent job as a multi-cultural school in educating children K-8th grade. The middle school students love the small classes and the friendliness of their classmates in a tight-knit environment where they have great relationships with teachers. Students learn Chinese and Spanish in all grades and they can also learn Turkish. The after school program runs until 5:15 pm and is very affordable.

Posted January 19, 2015
We are very disappointed: As educators, we know that the foundation for a high-quality education are engaged and engaging, highly skilled teachers who foster a love for learning. The higher the grade, the more disappointing our experience at Young Scholars: less efforts to instruct the kids (lots of computerized testing in addition to PSSA-prep), lots of screen time (with non-educational content), not much willingness to have parents involved in classroom. There is no way we will stay there for middle school! Actively looking elsewhere right now!

Posted October 23, 2014
I love how close knit the school is and the Director knows all the kids names which is amazing.

Posted October 20, 2014
I think that Young Scholars is a very outstanding school. All of their testing average is above the State average. The staff is extremely helpful to the parents and students. From the children's perspective, the teachers get them involved in what they are doing. The school offers extra-curricular activities such as extended clubs, science and math clubs throughout all of the seasons. They also offer plenty of free after school activities with parent permission. This school truly gets students interested in learning. They offer the students many things from the languages such as Chinese, Spanish, to playing an instrument, choir, Science Olympiads, Mathcounts, art shows, and more. This is a truly genuine school.

Posted May 29, 2014
In looking at the reviews, I was surprised to read that middle school has been problematic since 2009. Middle school continues to be a problem today with high teacher turnover -- consistently through the academic year. To boot, there are personnel absent in key positions-- guidance counselor and school nurse for example. Overall, we have been disappointed and will not be returning.

Young Scholars of Central PA CS
1530 Westerly Parkway, State College, PA  16801
Last modified Young Scholars of Central PA CS is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Young Scholars of Central PA CS Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top