Tamaqua, PA

Posted January 27, 2013
If you live in the Hazleton Area and you are looking for a GREAT SCHOOL, you have to look at Marian Catholic High School. I live in a different state, but my brother's children were Marian students. I was able to compare my children's school academics and activities to theirs. I would highly recommend Marian to any family who has bright children who enjoy being challenged academically. There any many activities for the students who like getting involved, more than my children's school. With the sad state of the public schools in the Hazleton Area, I think Marian is the best choice. It is unfortunate that the priests in the Catholic Chuches in Hazleton do very little to promote this great school.

Marian Catholic High School 3

Posted October 07, 2012
The person who graduated in 1976 should not be submitting his experience, and therefore, rating, over 30 years later. Administration and faculty have changed. It's sad to hear his story; hopefully, faculty have been become more attentive to individual needs since then. Having said that, Catholic schools historically seem to do very well with the broad middle group of kids, but not so well on the upper and lower ends. The apparently no flexibility academic tracking system is evidence of that. Because a kid may be sharp in, say, math, does not mean he or she is sharp in physics or foreign language, yet he or she seems to be forced into the entire track. Additionally, a little grade inflation would certainly help those seeking admission to the highly selective colleges and universities. Marian's brightest kids are competing with the brightest kids from larger schools nationally who don't mind a bit of grade-boosting because most of the admission decisions are made by the numbers. Would be nice to see more of our kids admitted to the Ivies and sub-Ivies (Swarthmore, Bryn Mawr, Williams, etc) as well as places such as University of Chicago, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke.

Posted August 05, 2012
As a graduate myself, and mother of three graduates, I cannot speak more highly of the experiences we have had at Marian.. It is truely a family atmosphere based VALUES and MORALS. Outstanding academics are forefront and have been the foundation of my childrens' successfull careers. Marian is a special place flying way under the radar

Posted April 30, 2012
I spent four years at Marian, and graduated in 1976. My class standing was roughly in the middle (Out of 149 graduates). I can honestly say that spending four years at Marian did little to prepare me for the outside world. Individual attention was nonexistent, and I was on my own as an Algebra One Student, for example. I had difficulty in this class, and nobody took notice. I was too shy to ask for help, and wound up spending the Summer doing the remaining lessons in the course, as I was that far behind. I passed by the skin of my teeth. If anybody out there thinks that catholic school is better than public school, let me just say that a Catholic School education is VASTLY OVERRATED. Furthermore, unless you fight back, you are an easy mark for bullies and aholes. I found that out the hard way at Marian. Had I fought back, I probably would have been expelled, and in retrospect if would have been worth it. Believe me, it was no fun being subjected to humiliating and degrading treatment at the hands of a few classmates, and a few upperclassmen. The faculty basically didnt care.

Marian Catholic High School 2

Posted December 17, 2011
Marian provides the same basic education that they have for decades. Many students will find that Marian is unable to meet their needs as an individual. Tracking students are placed in an academic track prior to 9th grade. Students will either be enrolled in all honors classes or all regular classes for all 4 years regardless of performance. Math Even as an A+ math student, I was woefully underprepared for my first math class in college. Arts Studio Art/Theater classes are non-existent at Marian. There is culture of favoritism that exists throughout the Marian community. One-dimensional population: lower-middle class, white, catholic. Sheltered environment is a safe place. Students can attend without challenging any of their own beliefs. College Admissions college advising is not a service that Marian can honestly say they offer. There is no grade inflation at Marian which hurts them in obtaining scholarships. If admission to a selective college is important and your child is placed in track 2 leave - the most rigorous courses are not available to your child and their grades will be greatly devalued in the class rank.

Posted April 18, 2011
My son graduated from Marian in 2008 and he could not have been better prepared for college. He has maintained a 4.0 for the past three years at a University in Philly. We have always been impressed with the family atmosphere that exists at Marian, as well as the excellent teachers, staff, and administration. If you want moral developemnt, discipline, caring,and an excellent education for you child then you want Marian!

Posted January 18, 2011
The main reason I did not like this school is because they make you feel inferior if you don't have money. When the parents cannot pay tuition on time, they punish the kids by withholding graduation cap and gown and they are not discreet about it. Which is humiliating to the child even though its not their fault. That is just one example. The teachers are sub par to say the least. They cater to the athletes and let them get away with everything and if your not one of those, it seems you're not relevant. Its is a VERY political school.

Posted January 31, 2010

Posted October 27, 2009

Posted November 17, 2008

Marian Catholic High School
166 Marian Avenue, Tamaqua, PA  18252
Last modified Marian Catholic High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Marian Catholic High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top