9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teachers call certain students degrading names and mock them., while other students get treated like gold. Only favorites are picked to play on sports teams, have to be a friend of a friend. Juvenile delinquents (literally run the school.) A depressing atmosphere, not a good place to send your child. This place should close immediately.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Effective ! Gifted ! Wonderful ! Excellent role models! Perfect in every way ! The staff are there for the right reasons.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is fairly assigned . Students are still able to participate in extracurricular activities because the amount of homework per class is realistic .

Develops character: Strongly agree

Academically incredibly, but more importantly , spiritually outstanding ! Children are taught to be morally upstanding citizens .

Absolutely , the best school in the area! Truly the best decision we made for our son .

If you live in the Hazleton Area and you are looking for a GREAT SCHOOL, you have to look at Marian Catholic High School. I live in a different state, but my brother's children were Marian students. I was able to compare my children's school academics and activities to theirs. I would highly recommend Marian to any family who has bright children who enjoy being challenged academically. There any many activities for the students who like getting involved, more than my children's school. With the sad state of the public schools in the Hazleton Area, I think Marian is the best choice. It is unfortunate that the priests in the Catholic Chuches in Hazleton do very little to promote this great school.

The person who graduated in 1976 should not be submitting his experience, and therefore, rating, over 30 years later. Administration and faculty have changed. It's sad to hear his story; hopefully, faculty have been become more attentive to individual needs since then. Having said that, Catholic schools historically seem to do very well with the broad middle group of kids, but not so well on the upper and lower ends. The apparently no flexibility academic tracking system is evidence of that. Because a kid may be sharp in, say, math, does not mean he or she is sharp in physics or foreign language, yet he or she seems to be forced into the entire track. Additionally, a little grade inflation would certainly help those seeking admission to the highly selective colleges and universities. Marian's brightest kids are competing with the brightest kids from larger schools nationally who don't mind a bit of grade-boosting because most of the admission decisions are made by the numbers. Would be nice to see more of our kids admitted to the Ivies and sub-Ivies (Swarthmore, Bryn Mawr, Williams, etc) as well as places such as University of Chicago, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke.

As a graduate myself, and mother of three graduates, I cannot speak more highly of the experiences we have had at Marian.. It is truely a family atmosphere based VALUES and MORALS. Outstanding academics are forefront and have been the foundation of my childrens' successfull careers. Marian is a special place flying way under the radar

I spent four years at Marian, and graduated in 1976. My class standing was roughly in the middle (Out of 149 graduates). I can honestly say that spending four years at Marian did little to prepare me for the outside world. Individual attention was nonexistent, and I was on my own as an Algebra One Student, for example. I had difficulty in this class, and nobody took notice. I was too shy to ask for help, and wound up spending the Summer doing the remaining lessons in the course, as I was that far behind. I passed by the skin of my teeth. If anybody out there thinks that catholic school is better than public school, let me just say that a Catholic School education is VASTLY OVERRATED. Furthermore, unless you fight back, you are an easy mark for bullies and aholes. I found that out the hard way at Marian. Had I fought back, I probably would have been expelled, and in retrospect if would have been worth it. Believe me, it was no fun being subjected to humiliating and degrading treatment at the hands of a few classmates, and a few upperclassmen. The faculty basically didnt care.

Marian provides the same basic education that they have for decades. Many students will find that Marian is unable to meet their needs as an individual. Tracking students are placed in an academic track prior to 9th grade. Students will either be enrolled in all honors classes or all regular classes for all 4 years regardless of performance. Math Even as an A+ math student, I was woefully underprepared for my first math class in college. Arts Studio Art/Theater classes are non-existent at Marian. There is culture of favoritism that exists throughout the Marian community. One-dimensional population: lower-middle class, white, catholic. Sheltered environment is a safe place. Students can attend without challenging any of their own beliefs. College Admissions college advising is not a service that Marian can honestly say they offer. There is no grade inflation at Marian which hurts them in obtaining scholarships. If admission to a selective college is important and your child is placed in track 2 leave - the most rigorous courses are not available to your child and their grades will be greatly devalued in the class rank.

Last modified Marian Catholic High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12