Tyrone, PA

Grier School 5

Posted October 15, 2014
Grier School is a top notch college prep school for grades 7-12. Being an all girls school is a positive, we've noticed our daughter gaining confidence and determination. The teachers are overall good, of course there's a mediocre one in every school. Grier has a wonderful art and music program, and many activities. We are happy that our daughter is happy at Grier!

Grier School 1

Posted March 16, 2014
I went hear for 8th grade. The education was better than public school, but being a dance and horseback riding school it was not the best. The atmosphere is appauling to me, but perfect to others. It is very casual and careless. While that may be good to student lookig for a getaway, I was looking for a sophisticated prep school with serious and intellectual student. Most students were not that nice and a huge portion of my grade were people who enjoyed harassing others. They were not bullies but more like trouble makers. The teachers are okay. Some are very nice. But as I've heard multiple times the school doesn't care about the kids. They only care about the money. They do not have the student's best interest at heart in the slightest.

Grier School 5

Posted October 06, 2012
Grier has been transformational for my daughter -- smart but with some emotional and learning challenges. We knew when we set foot on campus that Grier is a happy place. The program is highly structured but in a relaxed and supportive way, with an effective system of "carrots and sticks" that help motivate the girls towards greater responsibility. While Grier isn't specifically a therapeutic school or for LD students, it supports both needs effectively through add-on programs. The staff are wonderful to work with and have been extremely responsive when I've had questions or concerns. My daughter has gone from hating school to loving it. She has gone from nearly failing to As and Bs in a challenging curriculum. The phys ed and recreational programs are plentiful (though some are expensive). The campus is remote but very beautiful with first class facilities. Grier has turned out to be all that we'd hoped for. Since 80% of girls live more than 100 miles away, and a high percentage are international, parents aren't much involved day-to-day. That said, they are enthusiastic and supportive of school events and needs.

Grier School 0

Posted March 19, 2010
Great school! It isn't often that a place lives up to their ads, but our experience, with a daughter entering in 10th grade, has been great. The faculty care about the girls, the administration is very well organized and responsive, the principal knows every student and their families. My daughter had problems with her first roomate, and they bent over backwards to help, and moved her until she was happy. Actually, every time I visit, which is often, all the girls seem very busy and happy. They make friends here, and meet girls from other countries. I would say that Grier exceeds their advertising.

Grier School 4

Posted April 25, 2007
My daughter entered Grier 2 years ago at the tender age of 11. The challenges that she had previously faced in a co-ed school, concerning body image and other social issues, seemed to vanish as she was immediately welcomed into this warm school community. Her class schedule was tailored specifically for her skill level. They allowed her take take High School Algebra and Science, even though she was just a Middle Schooler. Their athletic programs, especially equestrian, are second to none. My daughter has been able to try all sorts of new things and explore many new interests in athletics and Fine Arts. Parent involvement is minimal due to the fact that this is a boarding school. However, the 'housemoms' go over and above the call of duty to create a comfortable living environment for the girls. My only complaint would be in the political views of the faculty being incorporated into the curriculum.

Grier School