No rating

St. Laurence School

Private | PK-8 | 480 students

Living in Upper Darby

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $72,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Posted June 4, 2014

I am sorry to say that this is my child's last year at St. Laurence School. The new principal Sister Maryanne is so rude and has no sense of leadership at all. She is not equipted to deal with problem children and she just always looks so miserable. Before she came the school was great. Save your money.

Posted March 25, 2014

My child has been at St. Laurence for 7 years. I have never encountered a staff member that wasn't helpful. I have always felt that the faculty and staff have had the best interest of the children. There could be more extracurricular activities, and I wish there was some more parent involvement, they are my only real complaints. The home and school association has been brought back, and I think some school spirit will follow. These kids are ranking NATIONALLY in First in Math, NATIONALLY. I think it may honestly be one of the more underrated schools in the county. It's diverse, it's dynamic, it's a great place to learn, and I am honestly glad I chose to send my child here.

Posted December 11, 2013

New principal and new pastor = new school. This school has gone through many changes over the last several years. They have always had the students best interest at heart even if things were not perfect, but I see a new positive attitude. Bullying was a strong issue in the past; however, it seems they are actively handling situations and shows students it does not belong in the school. Leadership is strong and school spirit is up, which is definitely a reflection from top down. Leadership wants to be here and it shows! I feel confident in my children's education and well being. St. Laurence is back on track. Kudos to staff, teachers, and especially principal and pastor! THANK YOU!!!

Posted September 18, 2013

I will be pulling my child out of this school after he completes 5th grade. This is his 3rd year there and since he started at this school there have been 3 different principals! I don't think this school has these kids best interest at heart. For the amount of money that we pay in tuition I don't feel like our children are getting anything for it. Tuition is being raised and programs are being snacthed away from our children. WHAT ARE WE PAYING FOR? Communication at this school is absolutely horrible. Why are children responsible for bringing home papers communicting what is going on in the school? You could save a lot of trees there was a PTA that actually spoke to the parents face to face to let them know what is going on every month. The fundraisers are horrible. I think you could take a lot of pointers from neighboring school districts (i.e. Haverford) on programs they offer their students FOR FREE. There is no kind of school spirit that makes the children WANT to come to school and show their school pride. You send home papers for parents to apply for financial aid yet you give none! Please don't be surpirsed if you are on the list next to be closed!

Posted November 17, 2012

I read these reviews and still enrolled my child because his/my visit was wonderful. After 3 months I will be pulling him out of school. I hate to leave mid year but we are very unhappy. The art and music classes are great but that is it.teachers are old fashioned. Two examples, a child sitting next to my son was being teased because he was adopted. My child got out of his seat to let them know what was happening and he got in trouble for getting out of his seat. Really poor judgement, they didn't care to hear what he had to say, they just saw him getting out of his seat. Another example, during recess one child didn't got in trouble so the entire grade had to stand against the wall during recess. I don't consider this appropriate so we are leaving SLS.

Posted September 6, 2012

This will be my child's last year in this school. Initially a few years ago the school was pretty good and I thought I had made the right decision--the past teachers my child had were great and the principal at that time was great too but as time passed on a new principal came on board and she was terrible--always looked so mad in the face--bad with following up on addressing issues. Also, the teacher turnover rate is very high--the good ones are leaving and being replaced by very low quality teachers that don't really care and are only there for a paycheck. I am not wasting my money anymore especially with the low quality teachers arriving on board this school is going down hill quick with no breaks!! I am telling you it seems as though they are placing any teachers in this school.

Posted June 14, 2012

Continuing from my first post, there is so much hidden information you need to know about this school. They are very ignorant to pronouncing students' names properly (this does not include common typical names such as Amber, Jimmy, Mark, etc.) Instead they do not LEARN the proper pronunciation and instead pronounce it their way. The students helping the staff are the same way as well. Very unprofessional. FOR THE HOT DAYS: The school barely has any air conditioners.The only air conditioners to my knowledge are in the research room (now currently known as the teacher's area or lounge), the cafeteria, and the sisters' convent. We have to suffer through the hot days on the top floor with a huge fan that in most cases, does not work at all. PHYSICAL EDUCATION AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL! The female teacher is a nightmare and barely cares for her students at all. I have gotten HEAD INJURIES or have FALLEN in her CLEAR SIGHT and she doesn't even ask if I am okay. The only games are dodge ball, kick ball, or capture-the-flag. Of course running is involved too. RECESS PART 2 Many times, the school sent the students out in cold weather and in one case, after going outside it started POURING!

Posted June 5, 2012

My child has been at this school for years and the teachers are not that great. They seem like they don't want to be there. The students have been caught engaging in activities that an adult would'nt do in school. They bully each other on facebook. The staff treats you like your not welcomed always felt like an outsider. They care more about the children of the staff and alumne then other children. I never felt like I belonged or was part of the school or parish. They ask for volunteers but only pick the same people over and over again and they are always teachers who have kids at the school or alumne so why bother to sign up they always say we have enough volunteers already. The school is unbalanced some children get treated very well while others get left behind.Most of all my child was not ready for the demands of high school even though she maintained good grades.Over all If I could do it all over again I would choose another school.The one good thing was the security was good always locked up and they have security cameras. Your better off sending your child to public school and save the money for college.

Posted December 4, 2011

Was good until this year..Now the teachers/staff are becoming more concerned it seems about petty little things that shouldn't even matter...The principal is not the greatest to deal with...Save your money and go to a better catholic school such as Sacred Heart/St Denis/ or St. Anastasia

Posted December 8, 2010

The conduct of students here is extremely awful and some things have happened that are completely unacceptable. I would reccomend sending your child there but only up untill the fifth or sixth grade

Posted September 1, 2009

Saint Laurence is a great school. It has top notch technology and it's clean. There are friendly teacher and great learning.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 2, 2009

Teachers and principal know students by name. Technology is top notch. Curriculum is up to date. Students participate in academic clubs, as well as sports.

Posted March 2, 2009

Principal is not equipted to deal with problem children. Their is supposed to be a zero tolerance policy in effect but it is not enforced, leaving the good children subject to being hurt. Don't waste your money sending your child here.

Posted October 3, 2008

This is a great school with friendly teachers and very nice outgoing students. The education is great the programs really make it easy for me to study for tests. I love this school !
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 27, 2006

Three of my children have attended St. Laurence. They have succeeded academically because of the progressive programs the school has offfered: Honors math, spanish, relious studies, and an exceptional computer lab. I am very happy with my choice to send them here.

Posted October 15, 2003

My son attended 8 yrs of school at St. Laurence. The education is outstanding. The parents are VERY involved with the teachers and school. The discipline and structure at the school has resulted in a number of non-Catholic, public school children transferring to St. Laurence for the quality education. I highly recommend this school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 17% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (610) 789-1128

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Philadelphia

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8245 West Chester Pike