Agora Cyber CS

Charter | K-12 | 8441 students

Best known for our individualized learning plans and award winning curriculum.

Living in Wayne

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $425,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,410.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted yesterday

Nothing but issues. My son is severly ADD but very smart and brick and morter was just too distracting. After enrolling him during summer break before 10th grade they completely changed the attendance policy relying solely on the teacher to take proper attendance and not decide to count the student absent because they "didn't engage or participate". We moved at the beginning of senior year and have sumitted a change of address twice that still has not been processed but they have called me twice about returning supplies that we never received because all shipments are on hold until, you guessed it, change of address can be confirmed. The icing on the cake was when my son excitedly checked the mail looking for his diploma only to find an empty envelope because it was mailed without being sealed and I still have not heard back from administration after leaving two voicemails over the last two days. The family coach is very flighty to put it mildly and never produced results when contacted. Do yourself a favor and keep exploring all of your options before choosing K12/Agora Cyber Charter.

Posted June 15, 2014

If you're interested in Agora Cyber Charter School, please, for the sake of your child, move on to another school. The curriculum is horrible, incredibly difficult or too easy, my daughter is in eighth grade and my son and other daughter that both completed college had trouble helping her. The family coaches are beyond rude and when calling to inquire about my daughter's report card I was hung up on. Before that I was told that I was "even lucky" that the "Family coach" had her phone with her. The teachers do not know what they are teaching, and the school at times has added on nonexistent absences when my daughter was in class that day. save yourself the headache and utilize another cyber school. The "principal & head of school" are more of a CEO figure and sends out automatic emails when you reenroll in the school each quarter or when they need you to go to Harrisburg and rally for them to get more money. and they send you boxes of books and materials that you NEVER use. For the sake of your child, don't choose agora.

Posted June 14, 2014

I believe the only parents that could like this school are those that are looking for the path of least resistance for their juvenile delinquent. Without a doubt the worst school I ever heard of. Some teachers are OK, they just don't have the tools.

Posted May 22, 2014

Agora Cyber Charter School seems to be set up purely to maintain their charter without regard to real results. Actual teacher led time was months below the standard, once false orientation, computer downtime, and teacher reassignment (teachers will cover off site testing facilities without a replacement assigned for students from other areas. The amount of time is significant. Teachers may not be available weeks at a time. The computer downtime is always inefficient, but at its worst can shut down the school. One outage this year lasted over a week. Worse is that the administrators categorize this time as student absences. Perhaps to disguise the downtime as student's failure rather than the schools.

Posted April 17, 2014

We are new to Agora this year, and new to cyber schooling as well. My four children attended a charter school for several years until bullying just became too much of an issue and I decided to do whatever I could to protect my children. Having four children in four different grades, and not being a big fan of technology,I was apprehensive to say the least.. I have to say the only regret I have is that I did not start Agora sooner. Things are pretty much self explanantory but you do have to be open minded and organized. Sometimes there can be minor computer issues but tech support handles them well and teachers are very understanding when there are difficulties getting into class.The curriculum is challenging, but I believe they are getting a much better education now than at their previous school. Our family coaches and teachers have been so accessible and helpful. The decision to cyber school was hard for us because we didn't know anyone else who had done it but sending them to their former school or our own school district was not an option . The staff at Agora made the most difficult decision of our lives the best decision of our lives.

Posted March 25, 2014

Agora is an excellent school and has helped us make great progress with our children! We where pushed out of old school district when we complained about violence and lack of education in the prior school.We actually got a postem from prior principal saying maybe cyber school. We pulled them that day and extremely impressed with the entire staff,caring enviroment,and the superior education that has helped our children make great progress. We did renew and tell everyone what a positive thing this has been for our family.

Posted October 11, 2013

Agora cyber CS. is working out GREAT!!! for our daughter she is in 7th grade and doing very well a lot better than if she was attending our local school distirct. You have to have GOOD PARENT SUPPORT AT HOME AND GOOD CONTACT WITH THE TEACHERS. We don't have anything bad to say about agora. It's working well for our family. So far everyone from teachers to family coach etc. has been quick to response back to us. Thank You Agora!!!

Posted October 10, 2013

So far I give it an three. I am in the process if enrolling my child. I have three stars cause I feel that the people whom I spoke with weren't all that warm and friendly, at all. Then reading that they call cps on you? Maybe we should not change schools, not liking these reviews!

Posted September 4, 2013

I have 2 children at agora! We like it, if they stay on task it's wonderful , if you fall behind in any assignments it takes a lot to catch up, the staff are very strict with attendance policy , with assignments but its ultimately to make agora work and that our children are successful! I would say we love it as long as we are consistent ,

Posted September 3, 2013

I am a student, about to be 18 years old so i have to complete the enrollment process for my mom and the school won't answer the phones! Put in a 40 minute wait line every time I call! Its appalling. Please fix the calling to customer care and calling to principles.

Posted August 26, 2013

My daughter excels at Agora. She loves going, the quality of the curriculum is amazing and the staff is helpful and welcoming. This is our 3rd year with Agora and I couldn't see going to another school!

Posted August 1, 2013

(pt.2) The teachers are also "very busy" and many times neglected to ever reply to me. The only thing thats good is the materials/ tech support people who are on the ball. Everything else was a completely rough ride and I was so happy to be done. Now tell me Agora where ism diploma I worked my entire life for!!!!!

Posted June 7, 2013

Agora Cyber Charter School has been a wonderful school. We are so pleased with how my daughter has grown and learned more! Best decision we ever made when we enrolled!

Posted June 5, 2013

I am an Agora student. The 2012-2013 school year was my first year, and I hate it. Agora's teachers aren't that nice, the work is too hard, the teachers rarely explain thoroughly what we have to do, and they give out way too much work. I did much better in public school.

Posted May 15, 2013

2012-13 was my son's first year in Agora. Coming from a school that stripped all but the core classes, it was a bit overwhelming to suddenly have so many classes. There is also a lot of testing, but in my opinion, if a teacher isn't sitting in front of your student every day, collecting classwork, how can they ensure your child is learning from the program? It seems perfectly logical to have a face to face assessment several times throughout the year. I am not a fan of PSSA's, but that's a statewide public school test, not Agora's fault. As for all the online assessments, classes, then you have to find time for your lessons... it can be frustrating. However, it IS worth it. Last year I spent every day from the moment my son got home from school, until bed time fighting about homework. NOW he has 3x as many classes and while we do sometimes work long hours, we have the flexibility to take a day, morning or afternoon off! I read reviews complaining of attendance issues, tech issues etc. In September we had some tech issues, Tech support was wonderful & when we were down, we used our time wisely, doing offline work. Attendance we had no problems at all. Just email the office!

Posted April 24, 2013

AGORA'S TECH & ATTENDANCE DEPARTMENTS ARE LAME (pt. 2) 4. Their attendance office is a joke, but they're not funny. Our children have ONLY MISSED ONE DAY combined (older son a few years ago) when he had the swine flu. However this year we received a truancy notice, threatening to fine us and call Children and Youth, because we did not call with excuses. The letter also noted that our family coach had tried to reach us several times, unsuccessfully. She (FC) has acknowledged that this was incorrect (by the way, she is superb), and that Agora had made a mistake. Agora eventually found their mistake, but now they are telling us that our other child has been absent without an excuse 4x. They will most likely be losing us, not because of their teachers (who are wonderful), but because of these inept departments. A note to Agora's administration: 1. completely revamp your tech department and 2. Don't send letters to parents, threatening fines or C & Y involvement, without being ABSOLUTELY SURE that you're attendance department is CORRECT in their data collection! And even if a student has unexcused absences, you should first call the family before sending a threatening letter.

Posted April 17, 2013

I have 2 children who have been with this program for several years. Every year it's gotten worse. This is mainly due to the amount of testing. They have four face-to-face tests every year, four required turn in's, 2 4 hour tests online, the PSSA's, and every day a 10 question test on what you learned. Plus: Every month they test in reading and math. It's gotten to the point where it's just excesive testing. It exhausts the kids and teachers. IT DOESN'T HELP! Nothing is important in education BUT the PSSA's scores. There is NO music, art, charecter building, or history. This is just sad. If you want to teach your kid one of these...go ahead but they will not assist you. If you have a high achiever student, they may benifit because the daily online classes will be optional for the "advanced learners". If not...then your kid is stuck doing classes for hours PLUS a daily plan of books, and online cirriculum. That doesn't nec. follow the online teaching. It's confusing for the students, and I don't think it leads for a well rounded students. We're looking at options to get out of this particular cyber charter school program. Good luck!

Posted April 8, 2013

"I'm a student in this school" continued. If you're internet isn't working for the day or the morning and you don't call tech support you get another illegal absence as if tech support can fix my home internet! Overall if you end up on the academic plant for not submitting work although the teachers don't say a word about it till its past due, your life will become a living hell till the school day is over. I have about 20 and counting illegal absences although I've completed all my work or as much as I can in the small time period and I attend every live session of the day, the attendance office tends to just mark you absent for a few random days too, and when I "kmail" my family coach the attendance office says its they're fault but never anything about them being excused. I've kmailed my teachers and learning coach multiple times about having way too heavy of a work load to have it all completed by 4 and all I ever get back is. "I understand the academic plan is hard to keep up with and how it can seem very hard to do but I cant do anything about it on the academic plan". Just never send your kid here or pacyber it'll be the biggest regret you make!

Posted February 24, 2013

My child has attended Agora for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. Overall it is a great academic program and the teachers are very experienced. We supplement with some other group classes in sports and the arts to gain social interaction. The kids also socialize before class starts each day and at organized school outings every week or two. The program allows you to work ahead if your child is gifted in an area and provides focused specialists if your child needs help in math or reading. It is a lot of work for the parent to supervise a younger student but the overall result is very rewarding. In recent surveys, parents using the k-12 program have 90%+ positive feedback.

Posted January 31, 2013

I have 3 children enrolled in Agora (1st, 3rd, 4th) this is our 2nd year with Agora and we love it. The curriculum is catered to their individual learning styles. The teachers and family coach are always available to answer any questions I may have. There was some technical difficulties the beginning of the year but all the problems were worked out. I plan on keeping my kids enrolled until highschool, because I do want them to have the high school experience. They play sports 4 times a week so I don't have to worry about them socializing with kids their age. Great school!
—Submitted by a teacher

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

322 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2012.

321 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2012.

295 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

295 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2012.

297 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2012.

355 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 65% in 2012.

352 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2012.

341 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

428 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2012.

433 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

503 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2012.

505 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2012.

557 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

562 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2012.

549 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 73% in 2012.

549 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

680 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

680 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

663 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

672 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students44%

Hispanic35%
Economically disadvantaged43%
Students with disabilities (IEP)23%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students50%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 54%N/A49%
Male 46%N/A51%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Brick and Mortar Public School
Colleges most students attend after graduation Drexel University
Pennsylvania State University
University of Pittsburgh
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math club

• Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
  • Debate
  • National Honor Society

• Sharon Williams
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Part-time study
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • Direct instruction
  • Honors track
  • Independent Study
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Standards-based
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

• German
  • Latin
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Acceleration
  • Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
College preparation / awareness resources offered

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Astronomy club
  • Science club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights