Wexford, PA
Before care: Yes

Posted November 24, 2014
St. Alphonsus gives children both a solid education and lessons in being a person of quality. The children excel educationally and socially and a sense of community is felt throughout. My children feel safe and at home here.

Posted June 12, 2014
St. Alphonsus School is a wonderful, highly academic, spiritual environment that I am thrilled to have been a part of for 11 years now. I am a teacher in the public school system and I can tell you that there are many teachers there who " need to retire" as well but overall, the teachers at St. Alphonsus push their students to excel and care about each and every one of them! As for bullying, it is everywhere and has been for generations...........St. Alphonsus does deal with it, and unlike public schools, problem children are asked to leave. St. Alphonsus has many rules and expects them to be followed. My children have learned discipline, respect, and moral values along with the academics which placed them in all honors classes going into high school ( Central Catholic and Oakland Catholic ). The majority of the families feel this way at St. Alphonsus, unfortunately a few disgruntled are always the ones speaking loudly.

Posted June 12, 2014
St. Alphonsus in Wexford continues to provide a top-notch education with strong Catholic teachings. Two of my children have graduated and are now in the public high school. They've excelled in Honors and AP courses and were very prepared for the advanced high school classes. The new Principal has great leadership abilities, has constant communication with the teachers and parents, and knows each student and family. Parent involvement is what makes St. Al's special. Spend a day at the school and you'll be blown away by what gets accomplished by the teachers and parents. My two younger children are still at St. Al's and I believe the school is always finding ways to improve. Any problems or issues are handled quickly as bullying and other inappropriate behavior is not tolerated. Come take a look at St. Al's!

Posted June 12, 2014
St. Al's has been a great learning and spiritual environment for my three children. They look forward to going to school everyday. The St. Alponsus support community is even better! The families involved in the school are reason enough to send our kids there. After 7 years, I couldn't image choosing another school.

Posted June 12, 2014
St. Alphonsus School is a wonderful community of concerned teachers and involved parents. Our teachers will stop you in the hall to talk about your child because they know them and they care. This is not happening at the public school because you can hardly be a presence during the school day. If you are seeking the whole package of education, values, sports, and parent involvement, then come join our St. Alphonsus School family!

St Alphonsus School 2

Posted June 04, 2014
St. Al's used to be the best school in north Pgh until the past few yrs. They have a huge problem now that is ever growing: bullying & violence. 2013/14 has been the worst for it in the over 21 yrs I've been involved in this school. The principal & admins, perhaps because they aren't mostly nuns anymore, refuse to adequately address it. New fads of violent "games" (testicle punching,back smacking) pop up monthly. Bullying kids through exclusion,names,teasing,happens daily. Downright fights & violent acts every few months. All mostly un-reprimanded or under addressed when it actually is disciplined. Their simple suspensions,etc aren't working & they refuse to take broad action to change the culture. Even worst is bullies parents are school monitors. They may teach religion & have mass, but that's where ideals stop. And staff is too focused on chasing donations than doing an adequate job. Or too overworked to care. They don't care about actually being a top notch academic or moral institution. Go with the smaller local Christian schools that actually care, unless you're wealthy & want the hot social-status school, where mean rich kids & stuck-up parents & school officials rule.

St Alphonsus School 1

Posted August 31, 2013
Teachers need to retire. Way behind public school in math and language arts. When my child switch to public, she had to be tutored for a year in order just to keep up. And lets not talk about fundraising. Open your checkbook and keep it open for this school!!

Posted May 31, 2011
We transferred to this school and are completing our 2nd year there. We have found it to be an excellent environment for our children. The principal is outstanding and knows each and every student by name. The teachers that we have had have been fantastic and creative, yet experienced. They know how to get the best out of their students and they command it. Any behavior issue has been dealt with swiftly and fairly. The school has a "we always listen, we always act" bullying policy that I have seen enforced. Add to this that the academics are strong and have been suited to the gifted child. I would recommend St. Al's to anyone without hesitation!

Posted September 13, 2010
My daughter attended this school with wonderful results. The school was like an extended family to us, and it gave our daughter an exemplary education with teachers devoted to giving the students the best education. We will always have a warm place in our hearts for this outstanding school, its teachers and principal.

Posted September 01, 2010
Both of my children attended this school.It was excellent. Keep up the good work.I would recommended it to anyone.

St Alphonsus School