Dodson El School 3

Posted September 26, 2013
My daughter just started Kindergarten.Her teacher is wonderful and works w her 1 on 1 despite a classroom of 30.She is quite "shy"so this is very important.I'm let down that they do not acknowledge the fast learners or gifted kids &don't allow kids to skip grades &more frustrating because the children have to be 5 by September for K.If your child has a winter birthday,he will be behind if you move out of district/state!The policy w not letting parents in is frustrating. My daughter is 5 &scared to eat breakfast & I can't even go in to help.I don't like not being able to "check in",makes me anxious like the school is not being honest.I know theres safety issues but incriminating parents isnt the answer.Communication btwn administration&parents is hostile,secretaries are rude.Ifyou try to walk your child in the staff in the front rush you out.At pickup there is a lot of ignorance mostly from older children:cursing,threats of violence pushing,shoving&smacking motions.The staff doesn't address these issues,it seems they are afraid of the kids! I hope they deal with these issues but we may not be returning next year. Luckily my kid has a wonderful teacher which makes us bear the rest.

Posted June 19, 2009
There is no air conditioning in this building except in the principals office, every year the children start earlier in august and stay later in june these classrooms get swelting hot! The parents do not follow the rules regarding pick up, drop off, smoking, language, etc and no one enforces it! Their are no extracurricular activities, no clubs, etc. The pto has very low parent involvement. Most classes never have a field trip. I will say my child has had excellent teachers and the Pre -K Program through Head Start is top notch, cudos to them for the new playground and sidewalks! I only hope that their good example will encourage the school district to also invest in their own building and add more updates for these deserving students to benefit from.

Dodson El School 0

Posted May 19, 2009
Unfortunately, my child did not have the most positive experience for his first year of school here. For starters, in the morning, there is very rarely an adult at the front door and my son, who is 6, had to pull open the doors by himself. I or my husband would have to exit our vehicles in order to get the door so our son wouldn't get injured. The parents hoard on the sidewalks after school to pick up their children. They use vulgar language and smoke around the children. In the beginning of the year-a memo was sent out stating that new sidewalks were placed in front of the school and to not park on them. Everyday, parents continue to park on the sidewalks instead of walking to the entrance. Just a few of the issues that are not being addressed.

Posted December 18, 2008

Dodson El School 0

Posted November 27, 2007
I have 2 children that attend Dodson. Their teacher is great and they love her, which makes me happy. What I don't like is the fact that parents are made to feel like a criminal trying to tresspass when you attempt to enter the school. I feel that as long as my child is a student I should have every right to be able to enter the school and go to their class room just to observe. The children have no playground area which is very sad.

Posted May 17, 2007
I have two children at Dodson; we are completing our third year with the school. I was thrilled the first year -- first-rate teacher, good grades, happy child. Since then it's been downhill. Student behavior is out of control. Detensions/suspensions are regular occurences at all grade levels. There is little parent involvement (I've attended PTO meetings, with fewer than a dozen parents present), marginal supervision during recess and the teachers spend much of their time trying to control students, rather than teaching. I and numerous other parents are moving our children out of Dodson. And no extracurricular activities, except band/chorus. No gifted program.

Posted April 26, 2005
very good school - children enjoy it and get the attention they need from the teachers.

Posted August 27, 2004
Dodson is one of the best elementary schhols in the Wilkes Barre district. It is a shame that they want to close it. The teachers and the principle care about the children as individuals. The PTO cares about the children. They do a lot for the kids. This is my last year for Dodson my last child is in 6th grade this coming school year. Unfortuanetely he has to attend G.A.R high school which is not a very good school. It is just a pinch above Meyers.

Posted August 26, 2003
I would just like to say that Dodson is not a 'bad' school,the teachers seem nice and my 2 children had a good year at Dodson.This year is only the second year my kids will be attending this school. But as for what I have seen Dodson is a very Old school,not very modern in any way.It is an old building with old desks.The 'school yard'doesn`t have anything for the kids to do~no playground,etc.(if you are from somewhere else, more modern schools are what you would be used too).But if you can overlook the old time woodwork and the old desks,Dodson is a good school! My daughter was having a really hard time adjusting to a new school and new work and her teacher called me on the phone to discuss what we could do to help her.I must say the teachers that my kids had were very GOOD teachers,they went out of their way to help.Needless to say my daughter passed all subjects,thanks to the help from her teacher. As for school activities~I was not aware of anything but the school band.....If they did offer other activities,they didn`t inform the parents about them.So this year I will be calling the school to find out what they offer and when! Like I said this is a good school and I believe it is one of the better schools in this area. Oh and the kids~they think the school lunches are actually GOOD! The buses and the drivers are very nice and well kept,my kids enjoyed the bus ride home every day! We are looking forward to another year with Dodson! Although an upgrade of the school and the school yard would be nice,it is a well kept school.

Dodson El School
80 Jones St, Wilkes Barre, PA  18702
Last modified Dodson El School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dodson El School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews.