Wilkes Barre, PA
Students enrolled: 1,007

Posted February 05, 2015
I attended Coughlin back in the late 90's & don't have too many positive memories of the place to be honest, however, they are about average compared to GAR & Meyers. When I attended, the teachers were mostly fair. Physical fights were almost nonexistant unlike GAR or Meyers. The cockroaches were ALWAYS a problem, after 4 yrs you got used of them. Overall, all 3 schools are about the same.

Posted April 04, 2014
My school is sadly not very good because everything is outdated the school was built very long ago and they don't have enough funds to get any new stuff for example AC for the summer when it is really hot so that is why I am doing this review because I hope to win money for my school so that it can be a better learning environment for the students and the teachers who attend coughlin high school

James M Coughlin Junior-Senior High School

Posted December 19, 2009
I recently had a very difficult teacher/student situation and must say the principal was superb. The teacher was not at all willing to listen until until the principal intervened and brought some leadership and sense into the situation. She may be direct but she certainly knows her role as a principal and has earned this skeptic's respect.

James M Coughlin Junior-Senior High School 1

Posted August 25, 2009
I transfered schools the first quarter of my sophmore year. I was very upset because I managed to get into AP classes at my old school but Coughlin wouldn't allow me to take them until my senior year because the administration wasn't willing to be fexible and allow me to take the courses I worked so hard to get into ever since 6th grade. Not only was I not allowed into more challenging classes, but the classes I was in were extremely easy for me. Some teachers were excellent while others I believed were not even qualified to be in a classroom. The new school year is going to start in about a week but I haven't gotten any letters home concerning the new dress code or any registration papers. I've searched online at the school website and called the school but am still uninformed and clueless.

Posted September 25, 2008
Hello, this is my third year at Coughlin, and just to say these three years have been the best experience so far. The staff and teachers that work at this school are amazing. Yes, as you may know, Coughlin is a very old school, but look at all the other schools in our city of Wilkes-Barre, such as G.A.R, & Meyers. All we need are some renovations, and we'll be good to go. If your considering sending your son/daughter here, I would highly recommend it.

Posted September 24, 2007
I graduated from couglin in 2007. The building it self is old (the main building), however it is in good condition overall. The newer building (the one with the gym) is in very poor condition, and should be replaced. For the most part the faculty is decent.

Posted June 28, 2007
the school is great. Is my son's third year in that school. the only bad thing is that the school is kind of old but other then that, the teachers are nice, friendly, and helps my son with anything. My son was scard to go to that school at first because people gave bad reviews about it, but now all he talks about is this school. This school should be rated 10 not 9. His grades improved, and if he's happy, then anybody in that school is happy.

Posted December 07, 2006
As a student at Coughlin, I'd like to take this chance to say some things parents must know, if considering sending their child to Coughlin. Yes, the building itself is very old. But, honestly, my school has some of the best teachers and staff you can find. The teachers will help you in anyway they can, and the principal is very on top of things. Plus, there is a wide range of classes to choose from...Psychology, Visual Communications, SAT Prep, many AP courses, Law in America, Photography...not many schools can beat that around here. Plus, compaired to other schools around this area, the crime rate is minimal. All in all, I'm proud of Coughlin.

James M Coughlin Junior-Senior High School 4

Posted April 09, 2006
A nice variety of programs that are very good. Music, art sports and extracurricular activities are plentyful. Parental involvement fair to medium.

Posted October 24, 2005
I don't have anything bad to say about this school or the teachers. I just have a suggestion. Recently I attended the parent/teacher conferences. My suggestion is to make the school a little brighter. The hallways and the classrooms are so dreary and dull it's no wonder a large percent of the students are depressed.

James M Coughlin Junior-Senior High School
80 North Washington St, Wilkes Barre, PA  18701
Last modified James M Coughlin Junior-Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James M Coughlin Junior-Senior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top