PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted July 21, 2016
As a parent of a student who will be a junior at Holy Redeemer High School this coming school year I can honestly say the school he came from, St. Nicholas-St. Mary School is one of the biggest reasons he is doing so well. You see, he is a High Honors Student with a 4.150 average and has been a High Honors student since 5th grade. He is well spoken, understands the high school material, works well with others, is compassionate, mannerly and very helpful. These are not just traits that I and my husband have instilled in him, but traits that have been nurtured throughout his years at St. Nicholas-St. Mary. Just because there is a new principal and some new teachers at that school does not mean the standards have gone down. The educational curriculum and after school activities still hold the same high standards as before. Some people just don't like change and that is ok, but this school still instills in our children the values of education, faith and compassion as it always has. I see no reason to change how I felt about this school before the new faculty and staff, and how I feel about this school now. I would not hesitate to send a child there now as I did not hesitate before. St. Nicholas-St. Mary School is the Best Catholic School in our area hands down! It still is a school of academic excellence and will remain so for years to come. It's Where Good Beginnings Last A Lifetime!

St Nicholas-St Mary's School 2

Posted June 29, 2015
I am an alumni and I would like to give my honest opinion about this school. I would like to say good things, but the last few years at St. Nicks weren't that good. The enrollment has dropped numoursly and the education has gone down the drain. I had a sibling attend this school and was very well prepared for high school because of the excellent teachers at the school, but things have changed a lot since my sibling graduated. The good teachers are either retired or are leaving. Nothing is the same as it was and it is so sad to see the school come down to this. I, other parents, and previous students have been so disappointed to see the school turn into what it is now. St. Nicks always had a fantastic reputation in the English and Literarure department and that has disappeared. Everything has changed, and with the new principal everything has really taken a plunge. He is LAZY, RUDE, and there is never any action taken by him. When you need to talk to him or ask him a question he is never in school! It is one thing to be absent sometimes because of illness or meetings, but he is never present in the school! A lot of students and parents miss the old principal because all events were beautifully organized and the school ran great! She really knew how to run a school with great events and a terrific education! Also, St. Nicks has always had a reputation for clicks. If you don't own a business, volunteer a lot of time and money to the school you are treated differently. The new principal is also very clicky. It is so sad to see what the school has turned into the past few years because it was really an EXCELLENT school!!! If you are thinking about sending your child here don't because the education is not the same, people are not polite, it's a terrible school, and it will be closing soon!

Posted September 29, 2013
High standards...highly effective teachers...great pre k and great kids. I love sending my kids to this school and they are so happy to go. Its worth the money.

Posted July 31, 2013
Do you miss family oriented schools, with high academic standards? Wish your school didn't teach to the PSSA test? Do you miss hearing Christmas songs at the Christmas play? Or are you simply terrified to send your kids into the ghetto that the WB schools have become.? We were too. Now we drop our kids off at school, knowing they are safe, loved, happy and well educated. It's worth the cost of admission. Great school, great teachers and a family atmosphere.

Posted August 05, 2012
I currently have a daughter going into 1st grade and I couldn't be happier . The quality of teachers at this school is superb and very hands on. They talk to the parents on a daily basis concerning there kids progress. The teachers keep the parents informed and encourage us all to volunteer. It's a small school so it doesn't take a long time to get to know everyone. This def. was a good fit for My daughter because she can't wait to go back to school.

St Nicholas-St Mary's School 4

Posted May 28, 2012
I ,as well, am an alumnist of st. Nicks. I am going write an honist review telling you what to expect and trust. I have attended St. Nicks since kindergarten and proudly graduated last year. St. Nicks taught me the values of honest, trust, patience, and compassion that is needed to be a good person. Like any other school there clics and bullies those who say there aren't are just flat out lieing. What other schools dont is our amazing teachers. Because of them,I was EXCEPTIONALY well prepared fo Holy Redeemer. The St. Nicks alums were the top in the literature and English department and the 2012 validictorian AND saltatorian were graduates from St. Nicks as well as other years. Please consider St. Nicks. Its better then Good Shepherd and you won't be disappointed.

Posted February 14, 2012
I am a Student currently at St Nick's and I love it. I don't get why there are so many hate-ful comments! There are no ' clics' at our school. I've never encountered with a bullie or either have any of my friends. The teachers are very nice and helpful. I've been going there since kindergarten. I love it there and there isn't any problems with this school. Except the school lunch is pretty gross.

St Nicholas-St Mary's School 2

Posted August 22, 2011
After having my both children at this school for several years I had to pull them. We had an awful experience with a teacher that NO parent/child should ever have to put up with. I must say this is a very "clicky" school, meaning if you are not part of the "group" you get treated very differently. I offered to help out at the annual winter bazaar and the "group" in charge never even had my name on the list to help out. They begged for help, then when you offer to help, they snub their nose at you. Just awful. The price is getting out of hand as well, as every day they have their hand in your pocket for more money.

Posted August 09, 2011
I currently have two children attending St Nicks-St Mary's, my oldest is entering 7th grade. The academic education they receive at this school is fabulous, as are the teachers. The teachers, as well as the principal are always approachable and willing to do what ever is in the best interest of your child. Financially, Catholic education as a whole is getting difficult to afford. However, this is well worth the sacrifice. I have read some of the comments on this site regarding the children's poor behavior at St Nicks. I have never seen this. As with any school, there will always be some behavior problems. However, they are addressed. When students from St Nicks interact with other schools during sports activities or social events, I can honestly say I am proud of their behavior. The parents of St Nicks-St Mary's are one big family of which I am proud our family is a part of. I would strongly recommend this school to anyone who is considering Catholic or private education for their child.

Posted March 15, 2011
I am an alumnist of this school. I can honestly say it is the best education around. I am currently an elementary education major and have observed in many other schools in the area. After seeing the other programs, I realized the education St. Nick's provided was above and beyond all other programs. It is a close-knit family. The teachers really get to know and care about their students. Morals and values are taught and engrained into the students. I feel i have grown as both and academic and a Catholic because of this school. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about it!

St Nicholas-St Mary's School
242 South Washington Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA  18701
Last modified St Nicholas-St Mary's School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8