Wormleysburg, PA

Posted May 15, 2015
Harrisburg Academy has been a great fit for our family. We love the school community and the faculty and staff are second to none! Its not just about what our kids are learning, rather how they are learning. Our kiddos are becoming knowledgeable, well-spoken, caring young citizens, excited every day!

Posted May 15, 2015
I am a mom of three Harrisburg Academy students (6th, 3rd, and 1st grade). All three children have been at the Academy since the three year old HATS program. I send my children to the Academy because I love the community of students, parents, and faculty. There is a great partnership between all because each Academy family is strongly committed to the education of their child/children. I love that the students are exposed to the world of fine arts, music, drama, and creativity while being in an academically challenging environment. The Academy offers a wonderful opportunity for each of its students to thrive.

Harrisburg Academy 3

Posted January 17, 2015
The Harrisburg Academy is an overall decent school. I have gone there since kindergarten and have made some very close friends. Some of the teachers are very supportive and nice while others are terrible. The food at Harrisburg Academy is awful. It tastes fake and the silverware has old food on it. The elementary school is very good, but the middle school does not offer enough extracurricular activities. The drama options are low and the only sorts offered are basketball, lacrosse, and soccer, because there are not enough kids to play.

Posted October 27, 2014
Personalized college counseling with a dedicated and knowledgeable college counselor is one of the best unsung heroes of Harrisburg Academy s upper school program. The college counselor is great! She advocates for our students and helps colleges understand the caliber of our school. She s really focused on getting to know the students first hand teaching the college prep class twice a week to all of the juniors of course I know this will help her tailor letters of recommendation, when the time comes! Other parts of the college prep program include having the students participate in a mock application review process and hearing from guest speakers. Her knowledge, energy, confidence, and enthusiasm serve our students well. I also love her open door policy it sounds clich but it s not! This type of service is clearly an advantage of being in the Academy s upper school. I cannot imagine there is another school in our area that has a college counseling program or person like this.

Posted October 23, 2014
I love that the students enter the classroom with a love of learning. This provides the catalyst for teachers in every department to work together with students and parents to develop the whole child. The students are actively engaged in learning. Their education is supported by caring teachers and parents, and they are challenged academically from the age 3 to 18. I feel fortunate to be able to establish a building block in each child's development and work together in our family community.

Posted October 22, 2014
Choosing Harrisburg Academy is the best parenting decision we have ever made. The benefits of a Harrisburg Academy education are too numerous for one note local school districts continue to delete or minimize the non-core subjects (like orchestra, music, art, foreign language) while increasing class sizes. Our children need the well-rounded education (like that offered at the Academy) that enables a well-rounded mind and attitude -- a necessity in a shrinking global economy and world. We also love the small school community and the attention that each student receives at Harrisburg Academy, allowing a student-teacher relationship that focuses on growing THAT student and not just teaching to a test or the lowest common denominator.

Posted October 21, 2014
We are a family with a child enrolled in Early Childhood at the Academy and we love it. I think an asset to our experience has been the cheerful greetings on display at the beginning (and end) of every day. Whether it be on the curb while exiting the car, being greeted by a hello or a good morning, or assistance in holding the door while juggling backpacks, musical instruments, gym bags, etc, or speaking to the teachers as they prepare for another day, the warm welcoming faces and interactions are a huge asset to the school community. At the end of the day, staff sending children home from the lobby with motivating thoughts on a most productive day, is like passing off a baton in a relay. At most other schools, teachers and staff would be in their offices preparing for their busy work day, and greeting parents and students for twenty minutes every morning would not be an option. But this short, yet valuable, "face time" that occurs at the beginning and end of every school day is unmatched. It makes me as a parent feel at ease knowing that I have passed the baton into capable, caring hands. I leave the parking lot with a smile and I feel I have made the right choice.

Harrisburg Academy 1

Posted September 22, 2014
Every child deserves a school better than Harrisburg Academy. There are practically no extracurricular activities for older kids. There are some good teachers but more that are lackluster and seem to be marginally engaged with the whole process. FYI this fall 2 well liked teachers quit with, in one case, 1 day's warning, and last year the college counselor left suddenly, leaving the seniors in a bind. What does that tell you about the work environment? The kids backbite, harass and bully each other, with no intervention from the teachers. Course choice in high school is extremely limited. The graduation class contained 19 students last year, so there really aren't enough kids to offer curricular variety. Considering the cost of enrolling your child here, you would do better in the public school system. It's such a disappointment.

Harrisburg Academy 2

Posted February 17, 2014
DO NOT MAKE YOUR CHILD ATTEND THIS SCHOOL! I'ts it very specific, the kids are snobby and are so rude to other children. They have no respect for each other! The teachers favorite many of the long-going student attending the academy. if your child is behind, they don't pay attention to you, you have to find a way for yourself! if your ahead your set! many of the teachers do not know how to teach and don't give you enough time and resources in class to understand the curriculum. The schools curriculum is very vigorous and tough. The school is pretty much a big contest. i am a student here in 8th grade. all the kids i talk to say that they hate the school and look forward to high school so they can potentially leave! i don't recommend this school. luckily I am going to McDevitt next year

Harrisburg Academy 3

Posted December 01, 2013
Harrisburg Academy, has been a disappointment to our family. We expected our child to be challenged and the school to have stronger academics than the local public schools, it does not. The Academy's art and music program as well as lunch and nutrition program are simply phenomenal. The smaller class sizes as well as the exclusivity of the student body should be a perfect pairing enabling the school to create rigorous individualized curriculum, instead the academy teaches to the center of the room leaving the children below, behind, and the children above, bored. Not what our family expected from the top private school in our area!

Harrisburg Academy