Yardley, PA

Posted January 30, 2015
In my view, PARENTS must first teach respect not teachers. If PARENTS don't teach respec,t teachers efforts are undercut. Competent teachers have a difficult challenge if bullying and elitism are taught in the home. Experts advise that it is very difficult to reason with the parent of a bully. When one speaks in absolute terms - "never", "always", the "best" - to me, credibility is lost.
6 people found this helpful

Posted January 30, 2015
Went to open house and researched in community, totally unimpressed. To me, from my perspective, 1) heavy-handed marketing (desperately need students because enrollment down), 2) some parents yield too much power, 3) not enough diversity, and 4) the school rents the building and grounds.
2 people found this helpful

Posted January 29, 2015
This school not only has an outstanding family feel, but also has outstanding academics and extra curricular activities like basketball and soccer for sports, and STEM (science technology engineering math) and Math Counts for academic activities. At this school ,unlike others, the children welcome new kids and makes them and their families part of our community because of the respect that their teachers teach them. I wouldn't want my children going anywhere else.

Grey Nun Academy 3

Posted December 29, 2014
There was what some call a "significant" reduction in enrollment for the fall semester of this (2014-2015) academic year. Around 2011 or 2012 the Grey Nuns sold the school, home and motherhouse to the Holy Redeemer Health System, and now occupy the school and convent on a lease arrangement. Since (and somewhat before) the sale things have been somewhat in a state of flux. I wish the former principal and the vice principal, both of whom recently left the school, the best. Clearly there were issues that precipitated the sale. I believe to blame re-enrollment issues after the sale on any person or issue would be unfair and misleading. I think the situation is much more complex.
4 people found this helpful

Posted December 09, 2014
I have two children at Grey Nun Academy in the primary division and really love this school. To the people posting that it's not a school for shy kids, I couldn't disagree more. My older child is very shy and she is thriving there, thanks to the smaller student-to-teacher ratio, and loving, nurturing teachers she's had over her 3 1/2 years there. Teachers are caring, have a great sense of humor, and do a fantastic job bringing academics into the classroom in just the right way for each individual child. Families are nice and involved in their children's lives and education. The new principal is wonderful and warm as well, and I like the increased presence of the Grey Nuns there. It's truly the perfect private/independent school.

Posted May 07, 2014
Having been a part of the Grey Nun Community for ten years we couldn't be happier. Our child was not only very well prepared for high school but graduated from GNA with a great amount of poise and confidence. In addition to superior academics and small class sizes, students are taught strong values and respect for one another. Both the faculty and administration truly care about each and every child.

Posted March 13, 2014
I understand every family's experience with the school is different and I empathize with those families who may have faced difficulty. However, I am a strong advocate of GNA, particularly if you do have a child that is shy. Our daughter would be considered "shy", a label I hesitate to throw onto my child. I attribute GNA's beautiful, caring, and nurturing environment for the sole reason that my daughter's self-esteem has risen. The smaller class sizes, the tight friendships, and welcoming faculty and staff is the perfect environment for those kids who need the extra boost to feel special and important. I would highly recommend GNA to all families whether you have a child that is "shy" or not.

Posted March 11, 2014
I would not recommend for a shy child. Talk a great game to help but no help. Every year 6-7 kids leave because promises to the parents are not kept.
2 people found this helpful

Posted March 03, 2014
As a parent of a GNA student (for 7 years), I am quite surprised by the bullying comment below. I can t imagine a school where bullying is less likely to be encountered; have never seen any evidence of it at all (and my child is the quiet type, the type who might be picked on if that sort of thing was present). The faculty dotes on every child. Never had anything to complain about in all these years; very satisfied all around. I am suspicious of buzzwords like bullying . 10 years ago the concept of bullying was unknown to the media & pop-culture; now a bully hiding behind every tree & around every corner. There are times and places where an aggressive child needs correcting, but caution should be used when tossing that word around with no corroborating details. The word bullying has become an all-condemning sledgehammer. Children, like adults, have ups & downs, good days & bad, close friends at school and classmates that rub them the wrong way. This is not usually the result of true bullying . I don t think it is prudent to tarnish the reputation of a 50 year old institution like GNA, a winner of numerous academic accolades, by calling it a haven for bullies .

Posted February 13, 2014
Our son loves Grey Nun Academy. The school provides a warm and caring environment. The teachers and staff are very dedicated to the students and to the school. The academic program is top notch, and our son is much more advanced academically than his friends who attend other nearby private and public schools. The students are well mannered, and show respect for their teachers and fellow peers. The graduates all attend excellent high schools, including prestigious prep schools. We have never once regretted sending our son to this school, and we continue to highly recommend it to our friends.

Grey Nun Academy