York Co School Of Technology

Public | 9-12 | 1559 students

Posted October 23, 2014

I'm in the adult education part , everyone is professional and treat you as a person and not as a number.

Posted February 24, 2014

This school has incredible technical programs and academics are on the rise (ever so slowly) however the violation of student rights by the staff here is so awful that I see it almost every day and have been a victim of it many times. Some teachers try to detain students in detention merely for not doing homework, nothing illegal is going on but they are as close to the edge as you can get with rights violation as I have ever seen in my life anywhere. School should not feel like an unconstitutional checkpoint at any point in time but it is commonplace at YCST. Bottom line: go to the school to get your technical certifications it's not bad, but be ready for a bumpy ride!!

Posted March 19, 2010

This is my son's first year at the school. He came from Dallastown. We bothe knew it was going to be the polar opposite, I just had no idea that I would shed tears. I won't go into details of what we are going through right now. Since the beginning of this year, I left a total of 26 messages with myt son's shop principal yet I have only been able to speak to her on the phone 3-4 times. I think that they should never complain about parent involvment again.

Posted January 26, 2010

This school has given my daughter a great education. She is a Senior this year and on the Honor Roll; she is in the Electric Field. I t is great that if the child doesn't like the field he/she has chose can be changed @ least once.

Posted September 27, 2008

there's alot wrong with this school. materials are extremely outdated!! this needs to be inspected b the state

Posted April 13, 2008

I am currently a freshman at school here. I like most of my teachers, but some of them don't even help you, one of my teachers gives us reviews and just tells us to do them and makes us watch movies, then just gives us a test and expects us to know it. All the other teachers I have help you but this teacher will just tell you to do it. I am very good in school but have a horrible grade in that class, it makes me angry, because I want to do good in school so I can excel and when I get my report cards with that grade on them I feel like I can't. Also with all the people that come into this school being so different there is alot of fights, it honestly scares me to say anything to anyone.

Posted March 31, 2007

I attended this school from 9-12 grade. I was extremly satisfied in my education in my shop(Graphic Arts) and my academics. I have now pursued my career, and I am now a susseful Graphic Artist.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 14, 2006

This is my 3rd year in York County School of Technology. Overall, I am pretty disappointed with this school. Most of the material is outdated, including some the material used in the technical programs. The recent construction on the school looks very nice. As far as academics go, I'm not impressed. Some of the teachers just throw materials at you and then give you worksheets. Some of the teachers are teaching subjects outside of what they are qualified to teach. They are now trying to implement a new dress code. They are changing rules all the time which makes things very confusing. This school is very unorganized and I only hope it gets better because I doubt it can get any worse.

Posted January 10, 2006

This is my son's first year at York County School of Technology as a ninth grader. My first impression, unfortunately has not been a very good one. There seems to be a lot of disorganization with the curriculum and the present rotation schedule they have in place is very confusing to both students and parents alike. Currently, my son is in an afterschool program initiated by the 'No Child Left Behind' federal program implemented by President George W. Bush, Jr. This program, according to my son is not adequately preparing him for the PSSA test that it is intended for. Both my son and I are very disappointed in the current structure and academics of this school.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

314 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

312 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

314 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

325 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

White80%
Economically disadvantaged72%
Students with disabilities (IEP)50%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Technology

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Technology
  • Vocational education

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2179 South Queen St