E-ssential tips: A parent's guide to assistive technology
An overview of current technologies to help parents select the right tools for their children with learning problems.
From audio books to classroom sound systems, many families have found that assistive technology (AT) can provide a crucial boost — to struggling students' academic performance and self-esteem. Need some guidance when it comes to choosing the best tools for your child with a learning disability? Learn more about AT and how to find the right fit for your child's needs and strengths with this collection of articles developed in collaboration with Marshall Raskind, Ph.D., an expert on assistive technology.
- An overview of assistive technology — what it is and how it can help kids with learning disabilities bypass areas of difficulty.
- A summary of how AT tools address various types of learning disabilities: listening, math, memory, organization, reading, and writing.
- An article describing a research-based method for finding the right tools based on a child's needs, the tasks she struggles with, and the settings where she will use the technology.
- A practical worksheet to guide you through the steps of matching AT tools to your child's learning issues.
- Consumer tips for evaluating assistive technology products.
- Recommended resources: Books, articles, and websites.
Download your E-ssential Guide to Assistive Technology (21 pages), print, and go! (Note: You'll need the Adobe Reader/Acrobat Reader to download the files.)