Posted October 14, 2013
I looked long and hard at private schools before deciding to send my now 5th-grade son to Community. I have had concerns over the years about the strength of the curriculum, but one thing with which I have been consistently pleased is the teaching staff. They are top-notch. Many email or post weekly updates of class activities, they challenge the kids, and they focus on teaching good behavior. I see signs that the curriculum is improving as well. The much-maligned Math Investigations is gone this year, and there is now more focus on core concepts. As one other poster noted, there is no gifted program, and high-achieving students are not challenged enough. Some teachers do creative things, such as tag-teaming to teach kids of different math abilities, but it has not been consistent from grade to grade. There is some use of computers but they don't actually teach technology. But I am very happy with the influence of the new principal and superintendent. For example, 5th grade teachers now pair up so that one can focus on math/science and the other on English/writing. The PTO is absolutely amazing. Bottom line is that my kid loves going to school and I do recommend Community.

Community School 5

Posted May 06, 2013
My son is in his last months of kindergarten at this school. Although we don't have many years to review it, overall our experience here has been excellent. The expectations for kindergartners are high, but the challenge has been rewarding for him. The teacher has met with us a few times about his strengths and weaknesses and we've developed strategies together that have been a great benefit. The new principal is extremely dedicated to education and doing her best to allocate the schools limited monetary resources to making sure these students have what they need to succeed and to be challenged including new technology for the classroom. The PTO is very active offering many activities for the students that keep them engaged. I especially like the "Clean" after school enrichment program. Currently my son is learning about astronomy. If grades 1-5 are as good as grade K, I fully stand by this 5-star rating.

Posted July 09, 2012
Community is a GREAT school. I was given all I needed in supplies. This is rare in our cash strapped days. I was also comfortable in what I had been assigned to do and what I would be paid for it.All teachers were very helpful. I would only have asked that admininstration (they do not deserve a capital A" were a bit nicer. Cumberland school admin. is not great in my opinion at this date 7/9/12

Community School 5

Posted August 18, 2011
I've had the privilege of sending four kids through Community School. Two have graduated on to the high school and two are still at Community. We've had nothing but great experiences. The teachers are spectacular and parent involvement is always welcome.

Posted June 22, 2011
My child is finishing up 1/2 day kindergarten as I write this. Pros: The school was very responsive to my request for help with my child's social behavior at school. Their teacher in particular, was attentive caring and set up a daily (PBIS influenced) plan. Parental involvement (CSA) at the school is very strong and they encourage all to help out, volunteer and be a presence at the school. Cons: If you have a bright child, they may feel "underwhelmed." There are no gifted programs at the school. Children are placed into groups (in the classroom) by ability level- but this may not be stimulating enough for a very smart child- I have my child given extra books and papers to do while waiting for other children to catch up/during downtime. We are going to see how well my child does here after full day school next year.

Community School 2

Posted October 07, 2010
Disappointed with the school overall. It's certainly not school we heard so much about when and why we moved to this area.The general feel of a school starts w/ the principal, and the present one lacks command and direction. Mathematics is not strong. PTO is strong. Academics needs a boost. Great playground.An Ethics and Business class would serve the staff well.

Community School 1

Posted August 17, 2010
Was not impressed with Kindergarten at Community. The teacher quickly chose favorites and shipped kids that she didn't favor out of the classroom whenever she got a chance. Principal was not helpful, and response from the school was painfully slow on all levels (responding to email weeks later or not at all is not acceptable). Glad my child is done with this school!

Community School 0

Posted May 12, 2010
teachers are great, lots of extra curricular, principle is pretty concerned about the kids

Community School 0

Posted October 09, 2008
I wouldn't recommend it if your child is weak in math. Math Investigations can be a confusing program for some children (and parents). Traditional math instruction is left to the parents. Having a weak foundation, both of my children needed tutoring in math when they entered middle school. Otherwise, it's a pleasant environment and it has a strong PTO.

Posted October 01, 2008
So far I am very pleased with the teacher quality, parent involvement and leadership. This school has a positive environment that is conducive to learning.

Community School
15 Arnold Mills Rd, Cumberland, RI  02864
Last modified Community School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top