PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

I graduated from Bay View in 2013 and now attend Columbia University in New York City. Currently in my last semester, I have done some serious reflection on where I am in my life now, how I got here, and what I want to do next. I can honestly say that the answers to all three of these questions contain an aspect of my experience at St. Mary Academy-Bay View. Receiving an all-girls catholic education not only pushed me to excel academically, but it also allowed me to foster my own feelings of independence, confidence, and self-worth. However, above all of this, being surrounded and supported by a faith filled community allowed me to really start to grow in my own faith. When I graduated from Bay View I felt more than prepared to enter the next chapter of my life. Deciding on a high school can be difficult today, especially with the increasing pressures of college and achieving "success." Just know, when you give your daughter, sister, niece, the opportunity to attend Bay View, you are giving her the tools necessary to accomplish great things. Bay View and all of the people I encountered during my time there will forever have a special place in my heart.

As a parent of two Bay View girls, I absolutely love the feeling of community at St. Mary Academy Bay View. There is a real sense of "family" among administration, faculty, students and parents. In addition to the beautiful faith-based community, the academic expectations at Bay View are very high. My oldest daughter attended Bay View from grade 8 through grade 12. She had a seamless transition from her high school classroom experience to her ivy league classroom experience. Our younger daughter started her Bay View experience in the pre-K program. She is absolutely thriving there.

Amount of homework: Agree

The classes give out a decent amount of homework. Depending on the level you are placed in the amount of homework varies. The average time spent on homework is usually 3-5 hours.

How disappointing that someone would feel the need to trash such an exceptional school, as we have found that our daughter has thrived at Bay View. The support she experiences from her teachers has been nothing short of wonderful. Parents should keep in mind that every child is unique and not every setting suits the child. If you are looking for a positive learning environment for your daughter with a values driven education, then this is the school for you.

We have been dissatisfied with the school for several years and have removed our daughters. The disciplinary techniques rely on shaming. The lower and middle school principal does not address or acknowledge problems. There is an overreliance on technology with relatively poor understanding of it among teaching staff. Parent input is not valued and in fact the parent association was unilaterally dismantled last year. It is an insular community where focus is on creating a community for their own alumnae and without regard for expanding the community (it is shrinking so rapidly that this is a real problem.) Many alumnae have removed their daughters to attend other institutions in the area. The influence of the Sisters of Mercy is declining and it is becoming just like any diocesan high school.

Changing to this school has been a great move for our daughter. The individualized teaching, accelerated programs and exciting use of technology has her enjoying everyday.

We were dissatisfied with Bay View on a number of levels, but the biggest one was the quality of teachers. If you want experienced, caring, enthusiastic and well-qualified teachers, look elsewhere. If you want teachers who went to Bay View themselves, this is the place for you.

It's an ok school, but it is going downhill. The girls are living in a bubble. There aren't as many students as threre used to be, and the girls are very cliquey, especially in high school. The school only cares about sports, and most of the teachers don't know what they're teaching with the exception of a couple good ones. I really wouldn't recommend this school.

Bayview is a wonderful school that prepared both my daughter and myself for our futures. We are both strong women who live life to the fullest. My daughter was well prepared for college and is able to balance academics with a job and friendships. Twenty-seven years after graduation, I still maintain close friendships with many of my classmates

We have been at BVA elementary for 3 years and have not regretted our decision for a minute. We travel 1/2 hr each way and it is well worth it! The teachers are wonderful and truly care about the girls. Every day they care about not only the academics but the girls as people. They could not be any more caring or supportive. Both our daughters are thriving. Our oldest is going into middle school next year and we only hope the middle school is as wonderful as the elementary. Thank you to all who work so hard to make BVA such a wonderful place for our daughters.

Last modified St Mary Academy-Bay View is a Private school that serves grades PK-12