Forest Avenue School

Public | K-3 | 375 students

Posted May 28, 2014

Forest Avenue exceeds in every area! My son and daughter have both attended this school and not only did they love it and feel welcomed but so did my husband and I. The teachers were always helpful whether it be a concern with academics or peers. Every employee deserves credit for making this a school I was proud to send my children to. I have never seen a principal as involved as Mr. Ponte. As we are military we will be moving this summer and I am sad to say I may never find another school as great as Forest Avenue.

Posted May 9, 2014

We love Forest Avenue and recommend it to any and every incoming family! From the committed, compassionate and professional educators, to the Principal, Mr. Ponte, not only knowing each child's name, but promoting physical activity, we can't say enough about Forest Ave. As a Navy family, we were touched at the constant inclusion of not only military families but our international military families as well. The Parent Teacher Group is very active planning fun family nights, and the teachers! We just love the teachers! I highly recommend this school and am so glad my sweet little kindergartener started her school career here. 5 Stars all the way!!!

Posted April 17, 2014

Forest Avenue School, Middletown RI has exceeded in the success of our daughter graduating this year, and is ready for her next school years.

Posted October 1, 2013

Forest AVe. Elementary schools is exceptional. The environment is one of caring, nurturing, and rigor. Students and staff share in the highest standards and expectations. By far, Forest is the best elementary school in Rhode Island!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 1, 2013

Forest Avenue is a wonderful elementary school full of dedicated staff and faculty, engaged families & yes, sweet & curious students! I am so excited to be part of this Professional Learning Community! Kristen Ramsey Art Educator Forest Avenue Elementary Middletown, RI
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 30, 2013

Great teachers and great staff!!! Everyone is so friendly and helpful. Teachers are caring and support their students in any ways possible! Everyone goes above and beyond to help our kids learn!!

Posted September 30, 2013

Forest Ave has been a wonderful new school home for our kindergarten! The teachers, principal and fellow parents are enthusiastic and engaging with the students. Our daughter comes home excited to tell us about all the neat activities and cool things she is learning each day.

Posted September 30, 2013

Forest Avenue School is a very comfortable and nurturing school for all families. We have a high population of military families and overseas families who are studying at the local War College. I have had 3 children complete their elementary years at Forest Ave and one in third grade now. All 4 children have had positive experiences and they all love to go to school every day. The Parent Teacher Group has monthly activities at the school to get families involved in their child's school experience. I recommend this school for all!

Posted September 30, 2013

Forest Ave. School is a perfect example of what a neighborhood school should be. The principal knows most of the children by name, he plays kickball during recess with them almost every day. The children love Mr. Ponte, and also respect him very much. The teachers are dedicated and caring professionals who are committed to doing whatever it takes to meet the needs of their students. I have 4 children and have had at least one child attend Forest Ave. for the past 11 years - they are so lucky to have had such a positive elementary experience!

Posted September 30, 2013

I am sure you can check out the outstanding academia of Forest Ave. without me telling you in this review. Here are some side facts that you may not know. It's located in a naval town, get quite a bit diversified student body. It's off main road, no traffic noise to interfere lessons during school. The lunch menu is great. For elementary I think they have a wide range of healthy balanced meals. The bus ride to/from school isn't long and the drivers are very nice. The principal, teachers, even the PTG are very active and supportive of the school's operation. Beside normal school hours, they offer fun events to bring school, parents, and students together like a social gathering.

Posted September 30, 2013

Forest Ave school is an amazing learning community. The faculty, staff and parent volunteers truly care about each and every student in the school. There is a strong focus on academics, as well as community and character-building.

Posted September 30, 2013

This has been our first experience with public schools and we have been very happy so far. The teachers are great, ours kids love going to school and feel very comfortable there.

Posted September 24, 2013

Forest Avenue School is the most amazing school not only for the quality of teachers and staff but also by the atmosphere is had. It's incredibly warm, inviting and refreshing to see my child grow and learn the love of education. She is a great student who is always striving to do better and it's welcomed by her teachers. She looks forward to returning to school every September and can't wait to see what new teacher she'll have. I wish every school was as inviting to parents as Forest Avenue has been to my husband and I.

Posted September 19, 2013

Kindness and responsibility seem to be the cornerstone of the school community. My first child just started kindergarten and we are already thrilled to be a part of the school. The principal has such great energy that is contagious! Positive reinforcement appears to be a hallmark of the school. There is a Forest Avenue School rap and school songs about sharing and other important qualities. The principal plays kickball on the playground everyday at recess. There is even a kickball night on Sunday - student vs. principal and parents. I have never heard anything other than glowing reviews of the teachers and staff at the school.

Posted September 18, 2013

Forest Ave. is a wonderful, caring environment. My children love being there. On the first day of school this year, I asked my 3rd grader if he liked his new teacher. He said "I Loved her." Mr. Ponte, the principal, knows most children on a first name basis and serves as a wonderful role model for the children. He is outside daily at recess playing kickball with the children. The teachers are constantly giving their time to create great enrichment opportunities during and after school to the children. They not only teach reading, math, and the usual subjects, but they teach a sense of community. A organic garden whose harvest is given to local shelters is one way Forest Ave gives back. I am a teacher and I am proud to have my children go to Forest Ave.

Posted June 7, 2013

Both of my sons have attended this school and we love it! The teacher and staff are great at communication and Mr. Ponte the principal is awesome! The boys love Mr. Ponte! He knows all the children by name and you can tell he cares for the children. Being in the military and having to move can be hard on children but at Forest Ave the transition is so easy and refreshing. The school appreciates the military families and welcomes them with open arms!

Posted June 7, 2013

We are U.S. Coast Guard and moved to the area in 2008. My first experience with Forest Ave. was on the first day of school I did the drop off which moves very smoothly. As I was sitting in my car waiting for my turn to pull up to the sidewalk I watched the principal Mr. Steven Ponte say good morning to each child and get high fives from every student. From then on he has done nothing but amaze me. From the office staff and the classroom teacher to the janitors this staff is here for you and your child. They are always doing something special and parent involvement is huge it is great to see so many parents helping out. They do a dedication day to the Military children that will bring tears to my eyes every time I think of it. The Military is a big part of this community and they make you feel important. Forest Avenue Elementary school is one big family and I love it. We will be leaving at the end of this school year and that makes us all very sad to say good bye. My children will always have great memories of the beginning of their school careers because of Forest Avenue and their dedicated staff. Thank You for EVERYTHING Forest Ave. The Dorsey Family

Posted January 14, 2013

Phenomenal school for military families! From day one, we have felt included in the school community - just a wonderful, welcoming group that has made it clear our kids are their highest priority. We will be sad to move on, but are so thankful that our son had the opportunity to attend Forest Ave, and especially that he was fortunate enough to be in Mrs. O'Neil's class!

Posted August 6, 2012

I cannot say enough positive things about this school. Our son was very fortunate to attend Forest Ave. Mr Ponte, the principle, is amazing. He know all the students by name. He is very involved in their daily life. He plays kickball before school and at recess with the students. All the staff is wonderful and truly do care about your child.

Posted June 18, 2012

We are very impressed with the school and all of the staff that works there. They go way and beyond to make sure all of our needs/concerns are met. My child loves to go to school so much that he is sad when there are vacations, breaks, etc.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

2013

2011

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

2013

2011

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2013-2014 Rhode Island used the New England Common Assessment Program (NECAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. GreatSchools ratings currently reflect 2013 test data; the ratings will be updated when the latest NECAP science data is made public and available in the summer of 2014. The NECAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Rhode Island. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Limited English proficiency (LEP)n/a
Proficient in English67%
Not migrant67%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Rhode Island Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

School start time
  • 8:35 am
School end time
  • 2:40 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 1:00 p.m.
  • Coed

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

315 Forest Ave