Posted August 14, 2014
It is a wonderful school I go there myself so don't be worried it has a huge gym and if you are going to Thompson for the first time and entering 6th grade then you will be able to do soccer and all of the other things to so don't worry and come to thompson I will great you I hope the others will to. So come and have some fun learning

Posted June 10, 2014
Great school - administration and teachers are top notch, great facility in downtown area, good security, challenging academics, and variety of extra-curricular activities.

Posted May 05, 2013
TMS is a warm, inviting school with teachers who will go the extra mile to help students. There is an extensive after school program that offers academic as well as enrichment opportunities for all students. Teachers at this school work very hard to help all students learn.

Posted December 19, 2012
I, too, was concerned about sending my 6th and 8th graders here...the low score on this site is definitely misleading. We found the school to be led by a young, energetic principal whose own children attend here. Both of my kids are in the advanced clusters and we have been relieved to find caring and encouraging teachers. Could basic standards be higher? Yes- but tour the school and see for yourself that this is a special place in the heart of Newport.

Frank E. Thompson Middle School 3

Posted March 06, 2012
After researching area districts I was hesitant to send my 6th grade son to this school for our year here while attending the Naval War College. Several months into the school year, I have been more then pleased with the school, administration, teachers and families I've met. The school offers a diverse population, motivating teachers and a safe environment for learning. I'm not sure the Rhode Island standards are overly challenging and there is definitely room for improvement. However, I feel the staff at the school is dedicated to working with students and parents.

Posted February 22, 2012
The atmosphere at TMS is a positive, energizing, and welcoming one. The teachers are always encouraging and pushing the students to absolutely to do their best and assist them on their journey to be the best they can be. They have a leader (the principal) who is just fantastic. Thompson's climate is one of diversity where all of welcome & I can't think of a better place for the middle-school ages to be. We are truly fortunate here in Newport.

Posted February 21, 2012
I have a 5th grader at Thompson and a freshman at Rogers. My freshman couldn't have been more prepared to go to high school after going through Thompson. The teachers' high expectations for the students are as high as my own. My children are excelling in a challenging, safe and nurturing environment in the heart of the town. If feel lucky to have a 2nd grader as well so I can experience Thompson for a third time.

Frank E. Thompson Middle School 2

Posted October 13, 2006
I've have a 7th grader in this school.My oldest who is a freshman this year also attended TMS for 2 years.I'm not overly impressed with a few of the teachers and but both my boys had ok experiences here.

Posted October 13, 2006
Sixth grade was okay, but seventh grade has been the highiight of my time at Thompson Middle School so far.My teachers were my friends, they loved and cared about me. Each of the 4 core instructers of 7C3 wanted to see every student succeed and do their best on everything. They not only taught us book-related knowedge, but skills for the real world as well. I never wanted to leave that yellow & brown hallway. So if you are interested in sending your child to Thompson Middle School, it is truly a growing enviorment.

Posted September 21, 2006
We had some initial concerns about Thompson based on the 'word-of-mouth' and Test scores we saw on-line compared to other local schools. However, although we are only 3 weeks into the school year, we have been nothing but impressed with the professionalism, caring attitude, and flexibility of the Thompson administration and teachers. The leadership of the school seems committed to making the student experience a safe, fair, and nurturing experience. The facilities have been newly renovated and very adequate. While we cannot give a full assessment based on less than a month at the school we can say that our son and us (his parents) are happy with our choice to send him to Thompson.

Frank E. Thompson Middle School
55 Broadway, Newport, RI  02840
Last modified Frank E. Thompson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Frank E. Thompson Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top