Bad
Good

As a military family moving around every two to three years I didn't let the 4 rating of this school sway my decision to have my daughter attend her 6th grade yr at TMS as I had herd a few positives none the less. I had high hopes for this school, but from the beginning it's been one disappoint after another. Never in all the schools my daughter has attended has she ever come home with more disappointing and discouraging feedback about some of the 6th grade teachers. Stories of teachers being in bad moods, not allowing kids to go to the bathroom, one teacher even giving her opinion about my daughters top, stating in the hall way, "I don't like your shirt." I can't imagine the stress teachers go through, but at TMS they seem to reflect it in the classroom. Hard for kids to have a positive attitude when the teachers don't even have one. We've had to addresses other concerns at this school some of which were handled okay, but for the most part, I would not recommend this school to any new families coming to Newport.

It is a wonderful school I go there myself so don't be worried it has a huge gym and if you are going to Thompson for the first time and entering 6th grade then you will be able to do soccer and all of the other things to so don't worry and come to thompson I will great you I hope the others will to. So come and have some fun learning

Great school - administration and teachers are top notch, great facility in downtown area, good security, challenging academics, and variety of extra-curricular activities.

TMS is a warm, inviting school with teachers who will go the extra mile to help students. There is an extensive after school program that offers academic as well as enrichment opportunities for all students. Teachers at this school work very hard to help all students learn.

I, too, was concerned about sending my 6th and 8th graders here...the low score on this site is definitely misleading. We found the school to be led by a young, energetic principal whose own children attend here. Both of my kids are in the advanced clusters and we have been relieved to find caring and encouraging teachers. Could basic standards be higher? Yes- but tour the school and see for yourself that this is a special place in the heart of Newport.

After researching area districts I was hesitant to send my 6th grade son to this school for our year here while attending the Naval War College. Several months into the school year, I have been more then pleased with the school, administration, teachers and families I've met. The school offers a diverse population, motivating teachers and a safe environment for learning. I'm not sure the Rhode Island standards are overly challenging and there is definitely room for improvement. However, I feel the staff at the school is dedicated to working with students and parents.

The atmosphere at TMS is a positive, energizing, and welcoming one. The teachers are always encouraging and pushing the students to absolutely to do their best and assist them on their journey to be the best they can be. They have a leader (the principal) who is just fantastic. Thompson's climate is one of diversity where all of welcome & I can't think of a better place for the middle-school ages to be. We are truly fortunate here in Newport.

I have a 5th grader at Thompson and a freshman at Rogers. My freshman couldn't have been more prepared to go to high school after going through Thompson. The teachers' high expectations for the students are as high as my own. My children are excelling in a challenging, safe and nurturing environment in the heart of the town. If feel lucky to have a 2nd grader as well so I can experience Thompson for a third time.

I've have a 7th grader in this school.My oldest who is a freshman this year also attended TMS for 2 years.I'm not overly impressed with a few of the teachers and but both my boys had ok experiences here.

Sixth grade was okay, but seventh grade has been the highiight of my time at Thompson Middle School so far.My teachers were my friends, they loved and cared about me. Each of the 4 core instructers of 7C3 wanted to see every student succeed and do their best on everything. They not only taught us book-related knowedge, but skills for the real world as well. I never wanted to leave that yellow & brown hallway. So if you are interested in sending your child to Thompson Middle School, it is truly a growing enviorment.

Last modified Frank E. Thompson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.