Cluny School

Private | PK-8 | 188 students

Living in Newport

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $300,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Sweep tile

Posted June 20, 2012

Preschool program was very weak. Very little enrichment or learning. Most children were capable of early reading but the program is purely social and we had to excessively supplement. Art projects were unoriginal. Music program is fairly good as is the Spanish but daily I wished we had kept our child at home and done playgroups rather then send her to to this school. Also, wish the school would just raise the tuition rather then constantly request donations through the annual fund, raffle tickets, pennies from heaven, hitting up the grandparents on grandparents day, etc.

Posted February 28, 2012

I have to say my oldest son has been attending Cluny for 5 years now and it is the best decision we have ever made. The teachers have been wonderful. Mrs. Caswell is the best thing to happen to that school in years. She has a fantastic attitude toward the students and she definitely is a terrific educator and is very fair in the way she deals with the students. Cannot say enough good things about Cluny. My husband went there and my son has had at least one of the same teachers. A really community feel to the school and when they say you are a part of the Cluny family they truly mean it. Two thumbs up!!!!

Posted February 27, 2011

Cluny School is a fantastic school. The teachers work so hard to teach each student individually and at their own level. I have had nothing but positive experiences at Cluny. I am at the school quite often and have never seen any type of bullying. Overall I feel that my children are getting a wonderful education from the hard working teachers at Cluny School!

Posted January 5, 2011

Upon receiving military orders to Newport, we began shopping for great private preschools in the area. Received conflicting and confusing information over the phone and opted not to enroll. Kept searching and finally ended up putting our daughter in Silveira. Couldn't be happier. Great school, great teachers. Our daughter, my wife, and I love everything about it!

Posted December 14, 2009

We are a military family and our kids were welcomed into Cluny with open arms. Mrs. Caswell, the new principal is wonderful. She has taken the time to get to know the kids and is very active at the students' level. The adademics have kept my kids challenged. I am impressed by the sense of community felt there and with the large parent involvement. Great place!

Posted October 13, 2009

I have been at Cluny for 8years. I will be graduating this year and i think that the school is great. If we have any problems the teachers are always there. The new pricipal is great too. She is nice and understanding.

Posted September 16, 2009

Wonderful atmosphere for children, great teachers, great facility, family values, caring environment

Posted July 25, 2009

I have been attending Cluny for...wel my whole life. I will be returning next year as a 8th grader. I always felt that I could express myslef and although we have problems like any other school I feel that the bonds and friends you make will allow your experiences at cluny to be crazy fun! This year I will be returning to a new principal and I couldnt be more excited.

Posted July 21, 2009

I have been a student here for 8 years and I haven't had any problems with staff, bullying or lack of communication. Every Monday they send home a 'family envelope' with news of whats happening that week or any important events in that month. To get the older kids envolved with the younger we have 'buddy classes' it teaches the older kids reponsibility, gives the younger kids someone to look up to and also brings the cluny community even closer together. We are pretty good with sports but our players should definitly be granted the sportsmanship award. I play for the soccer team the coach is the best! Everyone works together like brothers and sisters. Cluny is an insparation and has giving me many goals and the teachers have taught me nothings impossible. This will be my last year and i will miss it very much!

Posted April 23, 2009

My child has only been at the school for a year but we love the atmosphere and the teachers. The children that I have met in the older grades are some of the most polite and courteous children I have met. I am glad my child is a student at this school.

Posted November 25, 2008

We are thrilled w/ our experience at Cluny thus far. In the 2 years our child has gone here we have enjoyed the academics and the sense of community. I am always amazed at how friendly and caring the students seem to be, especially the upper-classmen w/ the young kids. The principal and teachers are stellar both in their treatment of the children and the parents. Pleasant and caring yet firm. It is a very welcoming environment. Another assest is that there is help for students who excel and for those who are struggling. For example, early readers are encouraged w/ additional instruction to keep them excelling while those children struggling get the extra help they need to get on par. This was one of many selling points which sold us on cluny. Our son loves Cluny and so far we do too. Great environment!

Posted November 10, 2008

This is our five year old's first year at Cluny. We love it, better yet, so does he. After just 6 weeks, he announced, out of the blue, 'Thank you for sending me to Cluny. I love it!' Need I say more? Last year, he attended a pre-k program at Newport's high-end, terribly overpriced, private pre-k through 8th grade school. We had an awful experience. They tout individual attention and small class sizes, baloney. The school was a disappointment. Save your money and sanity -- enroll your child at The Cluny School. Watch them learn and thrive. The children are happy and well behaved. The staff genuinely enjoys teaching. There's a palpable sense of family and community. The icing on the cake, the school has been completely refurbished, including 2 new wings. Brand new early childhood and middle school areas opened this year. Cluny is a blessing. You'll love it, too!

Posted October 10, 2008

It is so sad to see a parent down grade a school because their son or daughter had a bad time. My experience has been that when a student has left either the parent has been super protective or the student knows how to work that parent to get what he/she wants. My son has been at Cluny for years. The principal is extremely caring and does not allow bullying....or excessive whining....need I say more?

Posted March 29, 2008

I was very disappointed in the principal for many reasons! His lack of care for the students well being! Allowing bullying and threats of children because the child's parents had more money! How sad the situation was that after pulling my child from this school where earning straight A's , had difficulty in another school !

Posted August 6, 2007

We are a military family that is only in Newort for a short time. Cluny is a jewel. I could not ask for my children to feel more welcome or more a part of the Cluny family. The class size is fantastic especially when you compare it to the public school. The academics are very good and I find Cluny's traditional approche to teaching very refreshing.

Posted June 9, 2007

Cluny has a wonderful sense of community. The parents are very involved and the kids are kind to one another. They focus on 'catching kids being good'. Every week they publicly name a 'good citizen' in each class (grades K-3). Academically they are on par. My daughter feels safe and welcome at Cluny school. It has been a very positive experience for her.

Posted May 18, 2007

I would highly reccomend cluny. I am vey impressed with my daughters teacher she hasbeen wonderful and has made a wonderful impact on my daughters education.The teachers one on one participation in my childs education has impressed me.

Posted May 2, 2006

'We have been very pleased with the education and environment at Cluny. We also switched over from the 'high end' school in Newport and it turned out to be a great move for us. The children at Cluny are respectful and the teachers and administration are excellent. This school is definitely all about the kids and we are thrilled to be able to send ours there. The extracuricular oportunities include choir, chess club, french club and piano. We did miss the sailing team this year and hope it returns next year. I was distressed reading comments about bullying and was shocked. I have not seen or heard of any such incidents and the comments are very hard for anyone familar with the school to believe.

Posted April 22, 2006

I am very disappointed with the curriculum at Cluny. Class projects and assignments are all very rote and unchallenging. There is not any effort by the teaching staff to do projects in which children can exhibit their independence or individuality. The staff and other parents seem cold and exclusional. At parent/teacher confernce time, I received no explanation or examples of my child's work other than 'fine' and they're 'right on track'.

Posted January 11, 2006

We transferred our son form the 'high-end' private school in Newport with some reservations. (Primarily, no one in my family is Catholic) However, after four years, I can unequivocably recommend Cluny as a caring and academically challenging school for the average to above average student. They give tremendous value when compared to independent school tuition(less than half)and place thier graduates in the same high schools. They have also been very tolerant of our religious diversity. Finally, the Principal is a gem. Big building plans are in the future but, fortunately, they are not going to increase the total enrollment.

Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian 0% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Providence

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

75 Brenton Rd