PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

St Michaels Country Day School 1

Posted March 01, 2016
I hated my experience here. From my point of view, it didn't feel like the teachers were working together as a team. The school didn't have a bell between classes and the classroom clocks were not in sync (something people would bring up but the school would never fix). As such people would always be late to their next class because the previous always went overtime. And so one of my most common memories of this school is everyone getting in trouble for being late to class when it was not their fault because the previous teacher kept them late. It seems unprofessional on the teacher's part, since they seem to be stepping on each other instead of working as a team. Furthermore, from my point of view it didn't feel like the teachers had a grasp on classroom management. It did not seem to me like they were good at getting things back into control when things got out of control. It took until I got to high school for my frame of reference to broaden enough for me to realize that it wasn't normal for teachers to say "shut up" to their students. Also, with the exception of science, eighth grade felt like a complete waste of time -very unproductive year. Teachers in general went off topic a lot. When I was a little kid I was an intellectually curious bookworm. As such I was one of the "smart kids"- whatever that means. However throughout my time hear my intellectual curiosity DECREASED because I felt like teachers thought that I was a burden for being smart. I felt like intellectual curiosity and being on the smart side was discouraged overall- I remember a teacher saying that my intelligence was unfair to the other students. Another teacher called me weird. I feel like this school is not worth the money, I don't feel like I received an intellectual advantage from going here. If anything, like I said earlier, it hurt more than helped. Socially, this school felt incredibly snobby and mean. Just think of the stereotype of the private schooler as the mean rich kid. This school felt like that cliche. Lastly, I'll end on this: Throughout my childhood/middleschoolhood/beyond I was judged for having gone here. The fact that I went here is on a need to know basis because it has proven to be only a stigma for me. I would never send my future kids here. Send your kids to literally ANY other school on the island.

St Michaels Country Day School 1

Posted June 06, 2015
I really don't get where some of these reviews were coming from. From my experience, it's an overpriced mediocre education in an EXTREMELY pretentious environment. Honestly, this school feels like it was set up for a very specific community- the Newport upper class "Bailey's Beach" crowd. If you were not already born into this community, you will be a second class citizen here. When I got to high school I realized that I was NOT ahead of kids that grew up in the Portsmouth/Middletown public school systems/St. Philamena's. These peers were at my level academically/intelligence-wise, and their families spent less/no money.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted June 06, 2015
Some are good but most are mediocre and cannot control a class full of kids.

St Michaels Country Day School 4

Posted October 29, 2014
This school is really amazing. I have been at this school for a really long time and I think I know it very well. At SMS there is a ton of homework. Like for example in eighth grade someday I have five hours of homework. There is a really strong language program with a trip to Quebec and top ten national French and Spanish Exam rankings. The math program is rather challenging but prepares you well for high school. The English program could be stronger in some places but is quickly fixing itself. In history class we always are doing something new and interesting in our journals. And finally science class expecially in eighth grade is amazing. The teachers try to make every class exciting and to fit everyone's learning styles. It's great. The teachers are very strict and it can be highly stressful for some people but most are able to deal. The sports program is quickly expanding to include squash and tennis. This school is so small there is no "popular" or "bullying" . I really love this school and I think you will to.

Posted April 27, 2010
very hands on, lots of opportunities for all types of learning; big on theatre programs, small classes

Posted February 04, 2010
St. Michael's is a beautiful, academically challenging school where students thrive in small classes with very involved, caring teachers. Both of my Middle school children are gifted and were thrilled to be put into a school where they were academically challenged and accepted by other students. Parents are very involved in the school and were very welcoming to new families. Classes are small and every student becomes a part of the community. Sports are required in Middle school but that has turned out to be an excellent experience. Both of my students have grown emotionally and socially in this environment. They will be more than ready for High School! Don't let the cost turn you away. Visit the school and learn about financial aid.

Posted January 24, 2010
This school does not seek to understand a child's behavior but rather jumps to punishment. It does not encourage creative problem solving or emotional development. I would closely observe your child's interaction with teachers because what is marketed may not be what you are receiving.

Posted April 24, 2009
A Great Schhol- the 'Best' on the Island. We lloked at whcih school offered the best education, the smallest class sizes along with the best secondary school placement record for our children and only St. Michaels Country Day School rated Tier 1.

Posted August 14, 2008
I'm in sixth grade at st.mike's and it the best school ever. We all get a great education even the three year olds. I really don't want to leave st.mike's in three years. But I have to.

St Michaels Country Day School 3

Posted June 12, 2008
As one other parent noted, many of the teachers and administrators are parents of the students. This can be a huge problem as far as objectivity of the staff and principal. Discipline is a big issue as well. Kids do seem to mostly like it though.

180 Rhode Island Avenue, Newport, RI  02840
Last modified St Michaels Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8