PK-3|Private

Bad
Good

SCMS is the best. To understand this school's philosophy, you should visit and observe the classroom. During "work" time, they learn how to self-correct, like a child who completes a rubic's cube after concentrating, within strict boundaries. Dr. Montessori's book, The Absorbent Mind, won her nominations for the Nobel Prize. The book's 2nd half is glorious, relating her belief in the individuality of each child, no matter what culture or race, creating peace within a diverse community. A child will ring a bell and say : "Billy and I have something to show you!" Then each child will tell the class about their collaboration. You will be amazed what this can do for a four-year-old's confidence, explaining to her or his peers the result of their labor. The staff Marika chooses is exceptional. Some teachers have been there for 30 years. But in childcare, it's time for play! These are happy children, eager to come to school, sometimes unhappy to leave! Their playground is a masterpiece. Students thrive. Sign up now! Places are limited.

We have two children at SCMS and have been at the school with our oldest (age 6) for 3 years. I cannot say enough positive things about SCMS, from the knowledgeable and caring teachers and staff to the warm and engaging physical environment of the classroom and grounds. It was important to us that our children start their experiences with school at a place that was welcoming, enriching, and developmentally appropriate, and we found that at SCMS. The focus on initiative and self-direction in learning along with the positive school community has been so wonderful for our kids. It is obvious in speaking with and observing the teachers and staff that they care about and know their students very well, and they use that knowledge as they guide the students toward building necessary skills. The available before/after care and vacation care/camps has also been so helpful, and the kids love going! I would recommend SCMS to any parent looking for a place to get their kids started on a positive educational path.

My family had a terrible experience at this school. Since leaving I learned not all teachers are fully Montessori certified and they are Montessori "like" which means in the case of my child who has ADD (and we told them about before enrolling) that they decided after 8 weeks the child could not remain. The most awful and painful part they told me this over the phone and left me to explain it to my child. Cruel and humiliating experience that I hope no other family goes through.

It is impossible to describe in words how wonderful South Montessori School really is for both children and their parents. It has to be experienced to be believed. This is truly a community of kindness and caring, with strong academics. As a working mother, I felt confident leaving my 2 children for a full day for the past several years. The childcare program is outstanding. No commercialism! Healthy foods! Fresh air and outdoor exercise several times a day. The classroom enviornment focuses not only on rigorous academics, but also on building self esteem, morals, and independent living. I do not believe it gets any better than this school.

I have been affiliated with SCMS for more than 10 years....first as a caregiver to 3 children that attended in the past and now with my own 3. This school is amazing. The teachers are experienced and caring. They constantly go above and beyond. The building is wonderful and full of character. The outdoor space is huge, full of a large range of fun and exercising choices. SCMS gets the children outside everyday unless the weather is horrible. The Montessori education is nothing short of incredible. It produces capable, responsible, caring, interested children. Practical life work choices are some of my favorite. While Montessori allows for the children to make lots of choices for how they use their time, the teachers still give gentle guidance to ensure each student works in all areas of the classroom. My daughter attended through 2nd grade. In 3rd grade at a public school she is repeating everything she already learned the year before at SCMS....actually not even getting to everything...kind of sad. I highly recommend SCMS!!

South County Montessori School is a complete gem in every way. The teachers are dedicated, neurturing, caring and above all, intelligent. Their enthusiasm for learning and life is passed on to the children and the school exudes warmth. The children are caring and considerate and in addition to academics, there is a rich creative and cultural emphasis If only all schools were like this!!

I am 12 years old. I went To South county Montessori from when I was 3-8 years old. It is the best school ever. I wish everyday that I could go back there. At South County Montessori everyone is nice and we were all friends, all the children and all the adults. The school was fun and I learned a lot. I learned things that other kids are just learning in Middle School. As a child there, I thought the most important things I learned were the lessons in the Practical Life area, like how to cut carrots and make orange juice. I now realize that I understand the concept of respect and responsibility in a far more mature way than most people. I love my South County Montessori School. I would give everything a perfect score.

Last modified South County Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-3