South County Montessori School 1

Posted January 30, 2012
My family had a terrible experience at this school. Since leaving I learned not all teachers are fully Montessori certified and they are Montessori "like" which means in the case of my child who has ADD (and we told them about before enrolling) that they decided after 8 weeks the child could not remain. The most awful and painful part they told me this over the phone and left me to explain it to my child. Cruel and humiliating experience that I hope no other family goes through.

Posted May 09, 2011
It is impossible to describe in words how wonderful South Montessori School really is for both children and their parents. It has to be experienced to be believed. This is truly a community of kindness and caring, with strong academics. As a working mother, I felt confident leaving my 2 children for a full day for the past several years. The childcare program is outstanding. No commercialism! Healthy foods! Fresh air and outdoor exercise several times a day. The classroom enviornment focuses not only on rigorous academics, but also on building self esteem, morals, and independent living. I do not believe it gets any better than this school.

Posted February 09, 2011
I have been affiliated with SCMS for more than 10 years....first as a caregiver to 3 children that attended in the past and now with my own 3. This school is amazing. The teachers are experienced and caring. They constantly go above and beyond. The building is wonderful and full of character. The outdoor space is huge, full of a large range of fun and exercising choices. SCMS gets the children outside everyday unless the weather is horrible. The Montessori education is nothing short of incredible. It produces capable, responsible, caring, interested children. Practical life work choices are some of my favorite. While Montessori allows for the children to make lots of choices for how they use their time, the teachers still give gentle guidance to ensure each student works in all areas of the classroom. My daughter attended through 2nd grade. In 3rd grade at a public school she is repeating everything she already learned the year before at SCMS....actually not even getting to everything...kind of sad. I highly recommend SCMS!!

Posted September 26, 2008
South County Montessori School is a complete gem in every way. The teachers are dedicated, neurturing, caring and above all, intelligent. Their enthusiasm for learning and life is passed on to the children and the school exudes warmth. The children are caring and considerate and in addition to academics, there is a rich creative and cultural emphasis If only all schools were like this!!

Posted February 10, 2007
- a former student
I am 12 years old. I went To South county Montessori from when I was 3-8 years old. It is the best school ever. I wish everyday that I could go back there. At South County Montessori everyone is nice and we were all friends, all the children and all the adults. The school was fun and I learned a lot. I learned things that other kids are just learning in Middle School. As a child there, I thought the most important things I learned were the lessons in the Practical Life area, like how to cut carrots and make orange juice. I now realize that I understand the concept of respect and responsibility in a far more mature way than most people. I love my South County Montessori School. I would give everything a perfect score.

Posted March 11, 2006
I can not say enough about South County Montessori. My son is a student in one the primary classes. I am proud to say that every day he comes home to report the new & exciting things he has learned in the day. He has a lot of energy and the teachers have redirected it to his work. I am thankful every day to be part of a wonderful school. My youngest child will be attending next year.

Posted March 12, 2005
We had two children at this school for two years and were delighted in every way. We had to leave due to a job transfer but only wish we could find a school like this in our new location. The students are able to achieve remarkable things academically, but what really made the difference for us was the atmosphere of caring and acceptance in both students and teachers. Where else would you find all the 'big' second graders, girls and boys, greeting our little four-year-old as we arrive in the morning? The children's culture here is refreshingly free of cliques, commercialism, and one-ups-manship. Our oldest girl went from shy and fighting school, to eager and outgoing. SCMS is a treasure.

Posted February 02, 2005
I can't say enough good things about this school. I wish I was 4 and could go there myself. This is the second school my son has tried and it has made all the difference in the world. He went from fighting the trip to school in the morning (at the old school) to asking to go to school on Saturday and Sunday too. He loves it there. The parents are involved and the teachers are wonderful. Snacks are healthy and the playground is big and full of fun. The summer program is so good that my son asks me all winter if it is time for summer camp yet.

Posted July 22, 2004
I am the co-ordinator of the Montessori Teacher Institute in Norwich, CT. We train Montessori Teachers. I have visited S. County a number of times. The quality of the environment is excellent, bright, rich in materials and curriculum, warm, with excellent teaching staff. The extended childcare room is far more than 'childcare' and expands the Montessori day with a magical environment. I highly recommend this school. Barbara Barton

South County Montessori School
1239 Tower Hill Road, North Kingstown, RI  02852
Last modified South County Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-3
South County Montessori School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 9 reviews.