Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Teachers spend a lot of time teaching kids "testing tricks" instead of the material. Math is neglected. Science is theoretical, with little experiments and real life examples. Music, art and library teachers are fantastic.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Not enough "regular homework", such as math practice problems. Poor quality of teaching. However, too many "special projects" that eat into 2-3 weekends at the time and cost $$$ in supplies.

It is clear that the PTO runs the show here. Their children all get the preferable teachers and their children are in the same classrooms each year. It is a very segregated school in this way. Parents are not very friendly. Quality of education is fine but as with every other school in America, the common core standards and NECAP testing stresses out these young kids and it's making school almost military like. My daughter's class was not allowed to go out for recess on most days and their mid day break was playing games with their head down on their desk. Also my child reports a lot of favoritism among teachers and class mates. Also, self contained teacher was not friendly at all. The class room vibe was very cold (as was the teacher).

The test scores will tell you 1/2 of the story (this school has great scores!). But parental reviews are important because they tell you about the atmosphere. I have two kids - one in Stephen Olney, one in Graystone (special ed). I like Stephen Olney atmosphere much better. The PTA is amazing. I've never seen such hardworking group of parents. They organize lots of fun events and activities, like Chinese Acrobats visit, the World Champion in jumping rope visit, field days etc. That said, lots of the events they organize are very $$$ ($25/person+) so not all families can attend. Family dinner, Father-daughter dance, Mother-daughter brunch - are all in this range. They are fun, but I wish more people could participate, instead of being priced out. That said, the Principal Corsini is the best Principal I've met. He knows all the kids by name and all the parents. He walks kids to the bus and opens milk containers and peels oranges for them. The teachers have all been very nice and approachable. Parent involvement is encouraged but not forced. Most parents have grown up in town, and never left - not very worldly. There is no yard/playground - just a cement basketball court. Big minus.

Good school, good teachers. Some communication needs to be improved between parents and teachers. Overall good school educationally.. Along with the town no sidewalks, so kids and parents walk in streets. Never shoveled properly in the winter. Walk thru ice, snow, mud and water in walkways. Parking lot will be clean but walkways for kids, not so much. Several times almost fell holding my infant child. Kids play in what is essentially and over exhaggerated parking lot. If it wasn't for education being good, I wouldn't complain. Seeing how much we put into taxes and fundraisers problems could definitely be worked out between school and town. No one chooses to do so. So kids suffer.

As a teacher at SOS school, I feel very fortunate To work with wonderful children and a great staff Everyday. The school as a warm feeling Set by the principal. It's wonderful and I feel lucky Everyday I go to work!

This is a great school with a caring staff. The principal Mr. Corsini knows all the children's names and is always available. The school has been a successful school for many years and was a Regent's Commended School for 3 years in a row! The teachers are caring and give 100% everyday.

I am a single parent of five children that all attend schools in North Providence. When ever I was in need of any kind of assistance Stephen Only school was there for my family and myself. Three of my children go to Ricci school and my other child goes to Centredale school. Stephen Only welcomed me. The principle, the nurse, and the secretary are such amazing people. I am so thankful for them. They helped my family get through difficult times...God Bless them!

I LOVE STEPHEN OLNEY!! My son loves his new school...He loves his teacher and the principal is very personable and is always there if you have any questions or concerns...And that makes me feel very happy to know that my son is happy and safe...and that makes it easier for me to drop him off at school and know that he is safe and happy...

I am very pleased with the school. I feel my child will be able to reach all his goals in life, with the knowledge and life lessons he is learning.

Last modified Stephen Olney School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.