Howard Hathaway School

Public | K-3

Posted December 15, 2011

My daughter was at a local private school for years before moving to Hathaway. I am extremely impressed by the individual attention that she is receiving at this excellent school. Good citizenship and outstanding values along with a well rounded curriculum make it a true gem in Portsmouth. Her teacher cares deeply about the students. She welcomes volunteers into her classroom and stays in constant communication with the parents. The office staff and principal are outstanding as well. I am thrilled that my daughter is part of this excellent school.

Posted February 25, 2010

My daughter has been here a year,I am NOT impressed. Office staff seems stressed and unhappy. My daughters lastl school we we were always there for plays, awards,family orientated activities,etc. This school has a very COLD atmosphere from the office staff down to the way it is run. The pick up/drop off situaion is autrocious to say the least,all jumbled together,no structure. The principal has little to no interaction with students. So dissapointed I moved my family to Portsmouth specifically for the 'better' school system. On the brighter my daughter excels and her teacher is FABULOUS! I guess that is what counts.Also the principal is retiring this year so hopefully things will get better. If not we go PRIVATE.

Posted September 17, 2009

Both of my kids have gone or are going there this year. When we first moved to Portsmouth my son was having problems adjusting to the difference in school curriculum since we were coming from 3rd grade in the city. The staff was always willing to try to dissect any issue that my son had. Instead of saying that he just needed to adjust, they took every measure to see why he wasn't getting it and it was those extra steps that made a difference in his learning process and now hes a Junior in PHS and he is and A and B student. This is my daughters last year there. She has special needs due to ADHD diagnosis and every year the staff and principal have always made her eager to learn and tackle any problems together with her and I, always having her best 'learning' intentions in mind. I believe that she would have gotten lost in the system any where else and her grades have proven that they know exactly how to mold young minds. They make you feel like we are all family and who better to take care of your child on a daily basis then someone who cares about them like a family member. Portsmouth community is lucky to have such a great school with such a great staff. I love this school!

Posted August 8, 2009

my son is going into the middle school and he loved his years at hathaway. this is a very great school that is filled with wonderful teachers, faculty, and the princibal was very involved with the students. i would certainly reccomend this school to other families.

Posted April 29, 2009

I am a parent of two children who attend this school and feel the only thing really wrong with it is the face that they dont have a school nurse other than that both my children seem to enjoy and are doing great at the school

Posted September 26, 2008

Hathaway school is an awesome school. The principal, teachers and paraprofessionals truly care about the students, and provide a rigrous course of study.

Posted April 3, 2008

My child attends Hathaway and I am so impressed by the principle and teachers. Thank you Hathaway staff for eveything!

Posted April 11, 2007

We moved here from New York and were both apprehensive and nervous about moving from one of the top 50 school districts in the country... to a small school in Rhode Island...But from the moment we walked into Hathaway to register, we knew it was going to be a wonderful transition... We were welcomed with open arms by Dr.Martin immediately and have been ever since by both her and the entire staff...Hathaway isn't just a school it is a family and my daughter is lucky to attend each and every day...She gets not only a premium education but a loving environment as well...She is priveledged to have access to the accelerated reader program and journey through books...Hathaway takes education seriously and your child will experience it while having fun and while being loved as part of a family all at the same time...You will never be disappointed at Hathaway...Brooke Latronica-VanCott

Posted April 4, 2007

I moved here from out of state and fell in love with this school. From the principal to the teachers. It is just such a family oriented school. I have never felt so welcomed and embraced by a school in my life. My son is in the speech program and it just been a great experience for him. It is much more hands on and we have noticed a difference. My daughter goes to the pre K and again she loves her teacher and she is recognizing all her numbers and letters. she has learned to write her name and is starting to identify small words. I just can't say enough good things about this school.

Posted July 21, 2005

My son came to Hathaway in the middle of the school year. He was accepted right away and connected with the students and staff. He has also become a very avid reader thanks to the Accelerated Reader program. He can't wait until school starts again in the fall.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2014.

96 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

2013

2011

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

96 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

2013

2011

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2013-2014 Rhode Island used the New England Common Assessment Program (NECAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. GreatSchools ratings currently reflect 2013 test data; the ratings will be updated when the latest NECAP science data is made public and available in the summer of 2014. The NECAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Rhode Island. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Limited English proficiency (LEP)n/a
Proficient in English82%
Non-migrant82%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Rhode Island Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A43%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

Tallman Ave