Portsmouth, RI

Posted August 22, 2014
This school is wonderful! We have recently left the area and have been so sad to leave Hathaway behind. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming, the teachers made our kids look forward to going to school! Thank you Hathaway, you have a set a bar for all other schools to achieve in the eyes of this military family!

Posted December 15, 2011
My daughter was at a local private school for years before moving to Hathaway. I am extremely impressed by the individual attention that she is receiving at this excellent school. Good citizenship and outstanding values along with a well rounded curriculum make it a true gem in Portsmouth. Her teacher cares deeply about the students. She welcomes volunteers into her classroom and stays in constant communication with the parents. The office staff and principal are outstanding as well. I am thrilled that my daughter is part of this excellent school.

Howard Hathaway School 2

Posted February 25, 2010
My daughter has been here a year,I am NOT impressed. Office staff seems stressed and unhappy. My daughters lastl school we we were always there for plays, awards,family orientated activities,etc. This school has a very COLD atmosphere from the office staff down to the way it is run. The pick up/drop off situaion is autrocious to say the least,all jumbled together,no structure. The principal has little to no interaction with students. So dissapointed I moved my family to Portsmouth specifically for the 'better' school system. On the brighter my daughter excels and her teacher is FABULOUS! I guess that is what counts.Also the principal is retiring this year so hopefully things will get better. If not we go PRIVATE.

Howard Hathaway School 0

Posted September 17, 2009
Both of my kids have gone or are going there this year. When we first moved to Portsmouth my son was having problems adjusting to the difference in school curriculum since we were coming from 3rd grade in the city. The staff was always willing to try to dissect any issue that my son had. Instead of saying that he just needed to adjust, they took every measure to see why he wasn't getting it and it was those extra steps that made a difference in his learning process and now hes a Junior in PHS and he is and A and B student. This is my daughters last year there. She has special needs due to ADHD diagnosis and every year the staff and principal have always made her eager to learn and tackle any problems together with her and I, always having her best 'learning' intentions in mind. I believe that she would have gotten lost in the system any where else and her grades have proven that they know exactly how to mold young minds. They make you feel like we are all family and who better to take care of your child on a daily basis then someone who cares about them like a family member. Portsmouth community is lucky to have such a great school with such a great staff. I love this school!

Posted August 08, 2009
my son is going into the middle school and he loved his years at hathaway. this is a very great school that is filled with wonderful teachers, faculty, and the princibal was very involved with the students. i would certainly reccomend this school to other families.

Posted August 04, 2009

Posted April 29, 2009
I am a parent of two children who attend this school and feel the only thing really wrong with it is the face that they dont have a school nurse other than that both my children seem to enjoy and are doing great at the school

Posted September 26, 2008
Hathaway school is an awesome school. The principal, teachers and paraprofessionals truly care about the students, and provide a rigrous course of study.

Posted August 15, 2008

Posted April 03, 2008
My child attends Hathaway and I am so impressed by the principle and teachers. Thank you Hathaway staff for eveything!

Howard Hathaway School
Tallman Ave, Portsmouth, RI  02871
Last modified Howard Hathaway School is a Public school that serves grades K-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Howard Hathaway School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top