Posted May 30, 2013
I LOVE this school. During our military stay here in RI, I was THRILLED that my kids attended this school. The teachers are wonderful and adapt to each kids needs. All the staff are extremely friendly and polite and really have the children's best interest in heart at all times. They even have a military liaison for the military families. My children got a quality education while at Melville. The 10 star rating is 100% deserved.

Melville School 1

Posted June 06, 2011
Our three year run has been an unfortunate experience for us. We have dealt with issues ranging from staff questioning our ability to properly dress our child for recess in front of our child, to repeatedly not obeying our wishes for pictures of our son to not be published. We've dealt with teachers expecting our first grader to assist with behaviorally challenged students by holding him to a much higher standard. We've voiced concern over the fact that a group of 20+ second graders were left unsupervised in classroom on a regular basis. We've engaged the school over issues with inappropriate web links on teacher sponsored websites, and were forced to deal with inappropriate, and contradictory comments on a report card How about the assumption that taking the students on a field trip off school grounds without obtaining permission from the parents is permissable. Each and every time that we've engaged the staff, we've been met with little more than apathy. Military members beware, there is a distinct caste system in place that places the townies above the military kids. Ineffective leadership, and frustration- we'll be a happy to put Melville in the rear view mirror.

Melville School 2

Posted May 17, 2011
After 4 years at Melville if I would summarize in one word - mediocre. Some teachers are great & some are not so good. Leadership is lacking. Office staff is rude. Children are not permitted to speak in the lunch room.

Posted May 12, 2011
I have 3 children who are attending this school. The academics and staff are excellent. They seem to genuinely care for the students. The office staff is very friendly as well. The PTO is very strong. It is the reason why we chose to live in Portsmouth!

Posted February 19, 2009

Melville School 2

Posted May 19, 2008
I have to retract my 5-star rating from 3 years ago. Although some excellent teachers remain at the school, there a general sense of apathy has developed. The principal's leadership is ineffective.

Melville School 1

Posted August 21, 2007
- a former student
My daughter attended kindergarten at Melville. There were challenges with the developmental issues of other students. They were older and very aggressive and inappropriately handling her. It was not a pleasant or safe environment for her first experience. In addition, the 2 1/2 hours of classtime is a joke. They send home to the parent the other 5 hours of school work required to be done. My question is why they have only 2 1/2 hours, if I am to instruct my child during my home hours which results in fulltime schooling? It neglects their play free time at home with friends. It's like paying taxes for an education they require parents to fulfill on top of working to pay the taxes for the school.

Posted March 05, 2007
This is the best school my daughter has attended. The teachers are very kind and loving and really work at your childs level. They know just how to encourage your child to achieve the most they can. The field trips were fun and educational. Everytime I called the office they knew just who I was and which student was my child. I can't stress how great the teachers are. Many children are of military families. And made our school transfer very smooth. Parent involvement is excellent. They always keep you informed of your childs progress. The fall festival each year is wonderful. I loved the small town feel. Melville may be a small school but they are in a league of their own. Thank you Melville teachers!

Posted August 17, 2004
Having a child in school was a very frightening experience for both my daughter and myself. The staff at Melville eased all of our fears. The teachers are approachable, dedicated, and well equipped to handle the needs of young children. The office staff, outside activities are wonderful as well. You would not be disappointed if you were to be a part of this great school system. My daughter is now going into the first grade and can't wait! Without a doubt, this is due to the a+ teachers and staff!

Melville School
1351 West Main Rd, Portsmouth, RI  02871
Last modified Melville School is a Public school that serves grades PK-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Melville School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top