Portsmouth, RI

Posted June 03, 2015
It's that time of year! We are PCSing and digging up as much info as we can about our upcoming duty stations. I'd just like to share a school experience for those moving to RI. We loved Portsmouth Middle! My 6&8th graders really enjoyed their experience here. NOTE: In life, you are always going to have those teachers and administrators that you and your children don't click with. However, as long as you and your children are respectful, communicate, stay positive and ensure you know and support your children's best interest all will be fine. Overall the teachers and administrators were excellent. We felt they were nurturing, supportive, firm and fair. The same was felt from the students and fellow parents. My gifted child was challenged even though they didn't have a gifted program (like say Florida or California does). My ADD had the tools and support for success. They were able to learn and grow with their participation in things like band, strings club, arts club, yearbook, soccer, robotics club(Lego based) and student council. Granted my kids are quite outgoing and adjust well with the support of their home base but I have seen them, and their friends, take others who were not as outgoing under their wings. I also had no problems communicating with administration if I had an issue, which was few and far between. They were very effective and efficient when something needed to be addressed, from the ladies in the front office to the teachers and guidance counselors. Also as a Military family everyone was open and welcoming especially Mrs. KELLOG! As she is a military wife herself she is the unofficial Liason between us and the rest of the school admin as she understands and can translate our unique challenges. Other military families are always open and helpful with any questions or concerns we had. Good luck with wherever you chose but, in my family's opinion, you can't go wrong with PMS!

Posted May 31, 2015
We moved to Rhode Island because my father was in the navy and I went to this school, people at Portsmouth middle made fun of me just because I wasn't from Rhode Island. I didn't even get on the school basketball team because I wasn't from Rhode Island a teacher humiliated me in front of the whole class. This school is the WORST school I have ever been to.

Posted September 03, 2014
Portsmouth's elementary schools are excellent; and that's about it. It goes down hill pretty quickly after that. They have 4th and 5th graders in the Middle School and that is just awful. There is a lack of extracurricular activities in this school. In addition, the teachers and staff are rather distant and unwelcoming. We have seen other school systems are we are unimpressed by Portsmouth Middleschoo and its staff.

Posted May 13, 2010
My daughter had a wonderful experience at the Portsmouth Middle School. She is currently a sophmore at PHS and PMS prepared her well, both academically and behaviorially. She was challenged academically and the rules and consequences were clear and fair. She was givien the opportunity to have classes in many 'special' areas such as: computer graphics, ceramics, cooking, and wood shop just to name a few. Well done PMS!

Posted June 24, 2009
I have 2 children at this school and I am a teacher in Portsmouth. I find the faculty and administration to be unsupportive and uncooperative. Extra curricular activities are lacking and academic areas need to be upgraded.

Portsmouth Middle School

Posted April 20, 2009
I have 2 children in PMS. Although we have been disappointed in the extra curricular activities; sports options are limited (please bring in field hockey for girls!) and the music program is not comprehensive (but at least there is one!), PMS has managed to keep some options open, as well as having a late bus for kids to stay after for extra help since all of my kids' teachers have been available for extra help. I am satisfied, but more importantly my children like the school and their options.

Portsmouth Middle School 3

Posted June 12, 2007
My child is in the 5th grade. I haven't been impressed by PMS so far. The faculty hasn't been terribly warm or friendly. I don't feel welcome when I visit. During the parent orientation there was a definite sense of 'us' against 'them' between the parents and the teachers rather than a spirit of cooperation. The school organizes the daily schedules calling the days A, B, C, rather than Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. This is so confusing to kids and parents. This school would be a lot more user-friendly if the faculty attempted to put themselves in the parents' shoes. I also feel that the teachers should discipline the children rather than sending notes home. If a child misbehaves in class, (s)he doesn't learn a thing if (s)he isn't punished for it immediately.

Portsmouth Middle School 2

Posted June 11, 2007
We have a 7th grader. Over all we were disappointed in the Middle school. We have been in many different school systems both public and private. The most important thing is that they do not have an Honors Program. Next is that they should have enough books, so that the kids would be able to take home on a daily basis without having to check them out. Last but not least not enough extra curricular activities. We realize some of this is due to the money issue that school system is having. With all of that said we would not choose to let our child stay if we were going to be in RI longer. We have children in the Elementary school and the High School too. Some how the Middle school got lost ??? We are pleased with the Elementary and High School.

Posted May 25, 2007
As a former teacher at this school, as well as parent of a student currently at this school, I am extremely dissatisfied with the lack of leadership and uniformity within and across grades and curriculum. My child will not return to this school next year.

Posted September 28, 2005
Portsmouth Middle School is an excellent school. The teachers are all highly qualified and put every ounce of energy into every student. The students are wonderful, respectful, and polite boys and girls. This is a great district that will enhance your child's education and abilities.

Portsmouth Middle School
125 Jepson Ln, Portsmouth, RI  02871
Last modified Portsmouth Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 4-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Portsmouth Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top