Bad
Good

Please think twice before sending your child to the MET alternative school. Both my daughter and son went there before I had to pull them out. The MET is an alternative school that simply does not do basic academic things such as reading and writing. Admin says the focus on "Real World Learning," however the community is quickly realizing that graduating students cannot handle college academic work and especially skills needed in a workplace. My children, and their whole advisory say they sat around their one teacher all day gossiping about the school. Apparently, this is all day, every day type of learning. I believe my children lost a full year of school. However, now they are doing great in a regular public school. I have talked to other parents and students state wide who have had similar disturbing experiences. What's worst, we as RI state taxpayers, are paying for the MET alternative school because the MET is considered a RI public school. I believe there should be a public investigation of what they are doing with our money as the MET administration shows no accountability for whatever strange alternative things they are doing with our children. Why and how are they getting tax payer's money? Why isn't anyone holding them accountable?

Develops character: Strongly agree

the teachers build close bonds with the students as well as the other students in your advisory

i have been a student in this school for 4 years now and i have to say its one of the best schools i have ever been in. the teachers create personal bonds with their students and always help them out whether it be with school related problems or personal problems, you can always count on one of the teachers to help you out . when it comes to the students i have never met a group of students more kind and accepting sure there are your bad apples but name a school that doesnt have any all in all i am quite glad i decided to enroll

I love this school. I have one child that graduated two years ago and has taken all that this school has offered and is flying high with a 3.97 in Engineering as a Sophomore in College. I also have a Junior who will graduate from HS with an Associates Degree. This school is phenomenal if opportunities are taken. If you graduate from this school lazy as when you started than that is your "bad". There is so much available, but it is up to you to grasp on and run with them. Its the first life lesson in being responsible for your own Destiny and this school affords students the opportunity to live life and succeed through real world experiences! Love this Place!!!

The Met is the kind of school that isn't for everybody. All of the other reviews are true, where you have kids that sit around for years and still get a diploma. We learn through real world applications, which doesn't necessarily prepare us for college level calculus. However, this school does give you the freedom to explore different subjects. Classes are available, as well as tutors and self study guides. This school is what you make of it. I do agree that we need the staff to be more strict when it comes to being rude, loud, and disrespectful. I agree that we should step up our game. This school isn't meant to be for "at risk" students. It's meant to be for motivated students who want to learn. I have thrived only because I decided to do so. It takes work. The truth is, we advertise in a way that makes the "slackers" want to join us. I think we ought to change the way the public SEES the school to make it more rigorous. If the public demands a certain level of rigor, we ought to rise to the occasion and provide it. But hey, that's just my opinion.

As a former "advisor" at this school, I found the ideals and approach interesting. Unfortunately, the facts on the ground do not support the results of this particular school. What really happens here is a lot of kids sitting around doing nothing nearly everyday, for years. Much of the data is basically fake. Nearly everyone does graduate- because there are no verified graduation standards! I remember numerous students who had done pretty much nothing for four years and missed every senior year requirement given a last-last-last chance. Basically, write a couple of pages and call it a "project." Another statistic is the continuing education rate. The school claims over 90% enroll in post-secondary programs, but this includes community college applications, with guaranteed acceptance - and does not reflect whether or not the student actually ever attends. The school will even fill out the application and pay the fee just to create the data! One of the founder's favorite lines is "compared to what?" as a defense against criticism. By this he means that the kids would be dropouts, so anything is better than nothing! This place desperately needs new leadership.

A school cannot be a great school unless it has a strong academic component. Unfortunetly the Met doesn't even come close. One of the ways it keeps it graduation transition to college is by clearing its classes by purging failing students and having them redirected to other providence schools. What a shame. This could be a goood alternative school for students at risk if it didn't try to be all things for evryone.

As a student of The Met, I have to say that I am highly disappointed. I was told prior to my enrollment that this school was different and that the kids at this school are accepting and generally non-judgemental, which they knew had been a problem for me in the past. They told me that they had a no tolerance for bullying. Unfortunately, even on my first day, I realized that none of this was true. The kids are rude, disrespectful and entirely ignorant. But the larger problem is that the teachers/ staff members do nothing to reprimand them. Overall, all I can say is that I'm really hoping to be transferred to another school by next year.

My daughter came to the Met as a straight A student. She Graduated with a report card that got her many scholarship offers. When she arrived on her college campus she found that she was so ill prepared! She was unable to do the freshman college calculus or chemistry because she never took a real class in those areas. When she went to her adviser, he stated that according to her Met transcript that she exceeded the standard in those areas. When she explained the "real world approach" He was mortified. Even with a tutor she is failing. That is my opinion that the school failed my child. Shame on them.!!

The MET is an effective, pragmatic model school. It serves the true needs of the students and actually prepares young Americans for technical jobs in the 'real world' after graduation, along with building a powerful foundation for future university study.

Last modified Metropolitan Career Tech Center is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.