Classical High School 1

Posted April 03, 2014
We went to the Classical open house and orientation. We were very disappointed in what was presented by the Principal and Guidance Counselors. It came across as all about them. The worst presenter was the guidance counselor who made it sound like the students received $10 million dollars in scholarships when in reality a few students received numerous scholarships to various schools. If this is the best public school in Rhode Island, the people of Providence and Rhode Island have a very low regard for their kids education. The only department that impressed me was the science department, yet the students at Classical do very poorly in science. It appears more emphasis is placed on the humanities than on subjects such as math and science.

Posted April 01, 2014
Excellent academic program with amazingly caring teachers foe an urban high school. A real tradition of excellence.

Posted September 01, 2013
It's a great school, the best public school in the state. But all of students wish that it were renovated. We don't even have air conditioners in many of the classrooms and the lockers are getting old. If we are the best, don't we deserve the best? If Central, that does poorer than us, have a beautiful school, can't we have one in return for our hard work?

Posted July 13, 2013
This school is great. It offers many APs, as well as honor courses. Most teachers are pretty understanding, and look for different ways to make sure each student understands what he/she is doing. This school also has nothing against gay people. It has a Gay Straight Alliance. It's a great example for all of the other public schools in Rhode Island. During the school year,(2012-2013), our sports teams got many recognition. This just shows that we, as students from CHS, aren't only smart but are also very athletic.

Posted August 20, 2012
Great all around school. Teachers and faculty challenge students both academically and also in the community. Great extracurricular activities. The most diverse school that I have attended.

Posted May 02, 2012
My son loves Classical. It has been a wondeful place for him. The students, staff, and teachers are great. Everyone seems happy to be there.

Posted November 09, 2010
This is the best school ever. The person behind me has to let their child expand and grow themselves; they cannot always be under someone's guidance. I love the freedom. Great academics too, they let me take AP calculus BC in freshman :)

Classical High School 1

Posted October 31, 2010
I regret ever listening to the middle school Principal and teachers that said Classical is the only place my child would continue to excel. My child was a wonderful student until setting foot in there. I went to orientations, asked about parent involvement, left my name number and email and never a single call or communication. I was told " we have too many students and can't keep up with all their issues". I do agree there are many students but when you have a parent in your face expressing concern and frustration it's a sign that there is a problem. I believe parents and teachers should have the same goal in mind. That goal should be to provide the best education to prepare them to be successful. Academics have gone out the door it seems and the teachers do not seem to be truly invested in our children.

Classical High School 0

Posted October 12, 2010
excellent learning environment, diverse and culturally rich!

Posted January 30, 2010

Classical High School
770 Westminster St, Providence, RI  02903
Last modified Classical High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Classical High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top