No rating

Moses Brown School

Private | PK-12 | 805 students

Living in Providence

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $312,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,120.

Posted June 26, 2014

I graduated from MB nearly 2 decades ago. My time at the school was unremarkable and average at best. I have to agree with another poster below who had graduated over 20 years ago in terms of there being varying categories of students and how those categories of students were treated, encouraged and even taught by the teachers. I can recall many instances where there were certain students who could do no wrong and always were winning awards and goaded onto stardom. There were other students who were treated like pariahs and were never encouraged to do anything except to be average. In my opinion there appeared to be favoritism for certain students that was rampant from the teachers to the administration. There also seemed to be some teachers who practiced the favorite student religion more than others. It seems like the majority of those teachers have either retired or moved on from the days when I was a student. I am not denying that the education I received was superior. For someone who was average I went to college and really excelled and went on to become a leader in my field with 2 doctoral degrees. I can't deny that MB helped me a lot in this regards.

Posted May 30, 2014

Moses Brown The teachers and academia are superb, my child is in middle school and thriving, he's not an athletic child but chose to push out of his comfort zone with the support of his teacher and coaches and played sports every season and well as advancing his musical talent. The arts are a big influence on Moses Brown and I am excited to see what the new performing arts center will bring. In my humble opinion, there is no better school than Moses Brown and I will always be grateful that my son has had the opportunity to attend.

Posted May 23, 2014

If a strong academic curriculum is important to you, then I would not send my child to Moses Brown's Lower School Division. My kid learned more at home than he did at Moses Brown and I feel like we wasted our money. High school might be a different story, but we'll never know. There were some really nice people at the school, but I also came across a lot of unprofessional, rude, arrogant, conservative, elitist snobs. The negative posts by former students confirm my experience.

Posted April 23, 2014

We have 2 children hat have attended MB for the last 4 years. We cannot say enough about the world class teachers, thoughtful curriculum and forward thinking administration. We are proud to send our children to MB.

Posted February 13, 2014

As a current parent, I am grateful to be sending my boys to Moses Brown each day. They come home happy, having been challenged, inspired and cared for in their respective classrooms by both teachers and peers alike. With the school's high priority on acceptance and inclusivity, there is room for each child to explore, test and discover themselves. And when the kids trip and fall, the faculty and staff -- employing Quaker testimonies and CARES values and embracing teachable moments as they arise -- are there to pick them up, dust them off, and send them back in for more.

Posted February 9, 2014

I graduated from Moses Brown a few years ago and can't say enough positive things. Moses Brown prepared me with all the necessary tools to excel in college and now in the corporate world. Many of the exact things my teachers at MB taught me, I use on a daily basis today. Each teacher cared about me not only as a student but also a person. My only disappointment is that I am no longer a student at MB and can t partake in the incredible vision and direction the school is headed. I will be sending my kids to Moses Brown as well!

Posted February 8, 2014

As an alumnus and now a parent of two children in the lower school, I found the negative posts (most from many years ago) disheartening. In essence, MB is not an "athletic school", nor is it an "artsy school", nor is it a purely a rigorous "academic school". Moses Brown is a community of children, parents, staff and alumni who regularly strive to get the most out of your child through an experimental learning and expert teaching model. They help each and every child find their inner self and help that child mature into what excites them. For one child, it may be foreign languages, for another technology, for some it is athletics, and others it is music or drama. To label Moses Brown into one particular category is a mistake and does not reflect the well rounded experience available to your child.Yes, Moses Brown IS athletic, it IS arts, it IS academics and it IS Quaker. It is also many, many other things, which makes the close community you become part of so special when you are a student, a parent or an Alumnus. We as parents have had nothing but a positive experience to reflect on, and are looking forward to continuing to watch our children find their inner self.

Posted February 6, 2014

I am proud to send my children to Moses Brown School where they have attended since Nursery. Each grade has expanded both their intellectual and emotional development in a warm caring environment- the teachers there genuinely care for each child and are exceptional at their work! Parents are partners in the process that creates curious, engaged, joyful learners.

Posted February 6, 2014

As a not so recent past MB alum who has recently become active within the MB community I have to share how thoroughly impressed I am with the overall quality of the school, community and the vision for the future. From the school leadership to the tremendous faculty, students and staff, and a very engaged and supporting parent group, MB is on the leading edge of education on many fronts. I look forward to seeing what the future brings for this impressive institution.

Posted February 5, 2014

I am an MB grad and a parent of two current students. The teachers are excellent. The campus is well situated in the middle of Providence and there is a real sense of community. You often see kids from all three divisions collaborating and working together. My kids come home happy every day and look forward to going to school the next day.

Posted February 5, 2014

My sons have been at Moses Brown since my oldest was in Kindergarten. He is now in 7th grade and my youngest is in 2nd. I feel that my children are receiving not only a world-class academic education but as well a day-to-day immersive experience in how to be ethical, cooperative, and creative problem solvers in an increasingly global, interconnected world which will face increasingly complex challenges. My boys are also - more essentially perhaps - being raised in a community that explicitly values kindness, inclusivity, and diversity. One of my sons is a typical "boy" - loves sports, trucks, engineering. The other is an artist, loves birds, loves to read. And they are both valued - not only by their teachers but by their peers - as the unique beings that they are. Moses Brown - is to my mind - more than a private school - it is a unique community that lives its Quaker values on a day-to-day basis. In the words of my 8-year-old, "It's the best school ever."

Posted February 5, 2014

We have 4 daughters and have attended 7 independent schools all over the country. Moses Brown is an excellent school for all our girls. It is large enough that each daughter is able to find her place academically, socially, spiritually, athletically and is able to develop a healthy sense of self. MB is unique in that the Quaker values provide a calming, quiet powerful start to their day and help to build a partnership with their teachers. Our world is changing fast and we feel that Moses Brown is focused on the world that our girls will thrive in bc of their experiences and problem solving skills. No school is perfect but from our experience we feel that MB partners with us as parents to help mentor our kids to be the best they can be, to help make the world around them a better place and to feel Confident in their abilities. It is a challenging school but large enough to accommodate different learning styles. When there are tough issues that arise the faculty addresses them immediately. Our family is active at the school because we believe in the MB mission and feel blessed to be a part of the welcoming community.

Posted November 20, 2013

great this is a great school and great kids quaker nation this is a great area to the school

Posted November 18, 2013

Moses brow is a great school it is known for it's sports, if you don't play sports and go there you are worth nothing and is weird

Posted July 8, 2013

I can't speak to the current situation, but having attended the school from 6 to 9th grade, I must agree that a culture of division between the "haves" and "have-nots" certainly existed. I left as a result and finished my education at Classical. It was a good change. Several of my friends left at that time as well.

Posted May 22, 2012

I graduated from Moses Brown in '93 and I had an amazing experience. I could not disagree more with some of the negative reviews here. Moses Brown to absolutely follows Quaker principles. I have never been in another environment before or after MB in which I was treated with as much respect as I was at Moses Brown. Every single student, teacher, and administrator is treated as an equal. I was not one of the rich kids that are described in these reviews. My family was among the poorer families, sacrificing a great deal to send me to MB, but I never felt that any of the teachers, administrators, or more important my classmates ever once treated me differently than anyone else. Academically we were given every opportunity. I had many amazing teachers (and some less so, of course). My classmates were all very gifted. We pushed each other to excel. I was not great a sports, but I was able to play on teams all 3 seasons. I was cheered and supported by every teammate, even when I was finishing a cross country race 10 minutes after the leaders. I never did drama, but my brother loved the drama program at MB. I can not say enough great things about MB.

Posted May 6, 2012

Academic side of the school is as good as it gets - wonderful teachers who are passionate and excited to teach. Sports side of it is lacking with lack of leadership in administration, particularly athletic director - disconnect between the two sides of the school. If you are looking for the total experience this isn't it, however if thinking of applying to the school for just academics there is no better place to be!

Posted November 21, 2011

I am a current parent of an MB high school student. We chose MB because it focuses on a balanced, high level education for a student. We have been extremely pleased at the education our child has received, the encouragement for students to advocate for themselves, the availability of students to receive help, and the quality of teaching. The new administration has focused and strengthened the underlying Quaker values and we believe that will serve all the students well in their lives. No school is perfect but MB is our third school and it is an honor to be there.

Posted September 27, 2011

I am a parent of a former MB student. The curriculum is adequate but rigid and rather dated. A child of average academic capabilities and with an love of team sports will fit in well at MB, especially if the family is able to give generously to the school. However, MB has little room for the child who seeks an academically rigorous curriculum. MB has little room for a child that is drawn to sports that do not involve a school team, or a child not athletically inclined. MB has little room for diversity of interests or culture. We were drawn to this school's claim of Quaker values, but the stated values are in scant evidence. While one cannot prove that children of parents with money are treated with favoritism, it is apparent to the children. Providence and Rhode Island is rich in excellent independent schools, but MB is not one of them. At my child's request she transferred to a school just down the street from MB. It is a delight to again have a child excited to go to school in the morning. And great to have a school with greater academic rigor, greater real diversity, and a flexibility that MB would not consider providing.

Posted April 9, 2011

I am a parent of former MB students On the surface, MB appears to be one that puts community, academics, kindess and respect for ones's self as well as teachers and fellow students as a priority. However, we encountered a number of issues including favoritism towards big donor families, a riding on its reputation rather than a focus on bettering itself, faculty and administrators did not address serious bullying issues (particularly with big donor family children) and there was a zero tolerance for a student or family view/opinion that differed from the school's liberal teachings. We had hoped the school would really practice what it preached with its Quaker values. We were sadly disappointed. After awhile, a number of famlies besides our own, decided to leave MB. On a positive note, some of the faculty members were spectacular and really embodied the spirit of what I believe MB used to stand for, but unfortunately there were not enough of those shining stars to justify us staying at the school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Friends
Associations
  • FCE
  • NAIS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

250 Lloyd Avenue