No rating

Jewish Community Day School Of Rhode Island

Private | PK-5 | 75 students

We are best known for warm, respectful community.

Living in Providence

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $312,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,120.

Posted September 2, 2014

The warmth of the community is truly unique and the new Head of School is phenomenal! My kids are loved and accepted for who they are, and yet push to be their best. I have nothing but positive things to say about my family's experience at JCDSRI... I only wish they had a middle school!

Posted April 28, 2014

JCDS is a great place -- the new head of school brings great leadership, creativity, and energy to the place -- the teachers are terrific, the community at large is warm and welcoming and simplhy exceptional -- it gives a fantastic general education (its graduates go on to the best middle schools both public and private) while producing Jewishly informed students (and families) -- remarkably it simultaneously feels comfortable to families with a very wide-range of Jewish observance and commitment, including people ranging (for example) from membership in orthodox synagogues, conservative, reform, and reconstructionist, to unaffiliated, with a number of interfaith families as well -- JCDS must be doing something right if such a wide range of people are happy there! (Again -- terrific secular education, and terrific Jewish feel -- perhaps that's it!) ... We love the place, all three of our kids are students there, and people should check out this jewel .....

Posted November 14, 2013

I love this school so much! I wish I had sent my two older sons here as well as my youngest, our daughter. Unlike the public schools my sons went to, my daughter is asked and encouraged to think critically and creatively as part of the regular curriculum, she is learning a second language, she has wonderful art, music, and gym classes, she is encouraged by the school to develop a sense of her own values and morals, and she gets recess every day which helps keep her healthy, balanced, and ready to learn. We also have a strong and incredibly supportive community here. I simply cannot recommend this school highly enough, it's been so wonderful for our daughter and our family!

Posted November 12, 2013

JCDS-RI is an amazing school with a wonderful community of teachers, staff and families. It is my son's 2nd year and he loves being there. The size is perfect for an elementary school- it creates an environment of learning and friendship throughout the school. One of the many great gems about the school is that there is buddy system- the PreK is matched with the 3rd grade "buddies.". It teaches the older students about mentorship and the younger ones are thrilled to have this special person as their friend for the next three years. This is just one example of the innovating teaching and learning that occurs at JCDS. Above all, the teachers & staff are so committed to their students- it is not uncommon for one of them to call after hours "just to check in." Through Jewish learning, they are helping me to raise my son to (hopefully!) be a thoughtful and kind person.

Posted November 8, 2013

Both my daughters graduated from JCDSRI (the youngest last year). They received a stellar education, provided by teachers who are passionate about their craft and invested in their students. The school's focus on the "whole child" is exceptional; every student is valued for his/her own learning style, interests, and temperment. The community of families is diverse, warm, and committed; we felt a real sense of belonging. The Head of School is a remarkable progressive educator and leader and is providing a strong vision and sense of excitement. I encourage you to check this school out if you are looking for a loving, joyful, diverse, welcoming, progressive place for your children. They will love learning, take pride in their increased resiliance and self-efficacy, further develop their character, help make the world a better place, and learn to be a responsible and engaged members of their communities!

Posted November 7, 2013

This morning, before breakfast, my kindergartner son asked "is it a school day today?" When I told him yes, he did a Tiger Woods-style fist pump and said 'YES!' That is the energy that my kids (K and 3rd grade) show each day, coming and going from JCDSRI. Much has been said below about the warm community, progressive education and excellent faculty and leadership - so true. It's just one of those places that you have to see (and feel) to believe. I can't wait for our third child to enter pre-K in 2016!

Posted November 7, 2013

We are so happy with JCDSRI. The education is excellent, and the school is very individualized for the academic and emotional needs of each child. There is an emphasis on community and caring that is unusual in a school these days. Financial aid is available so tuition costs should not make a parent hesitate to apply. The school is pluralistic and welcoming to all families. It is a wonderful option!

Posted November 1, 2013

My child came into this school in second grade and everyone at the school has been welcoming with open arms! The teachers keep excellent communication with the parents. The school is really a community that you belong to. The go above and beyond to make everyone feel apart of it too!! I am so happy with the choice we made to come to the JCDS and our child is very happy here!

Posted October 27, 2013

We decided to move our daughter from a Providence public school to JCDSRI in first grade and we could not be happier. It is such a gift to have our daughter come home from school raving about her day and we are pleased to see her in an academically-challenging but incredibly nurturing environment. Already this year, the second graders have gone to the park to study the life cycles of plants, built cars in the school's design center to study balance and motion, met with visiting Nigerians and learned about their culture, and mastered Hebrew script! And it's only October! As an interfaith family, I was concerned about how I would fit in to the school community as the non-Jewish parent but this has been a non-issue. Everyone is very warm and welcoming and I have been so pleased with my daughter's religious education. I feel like the emphasis is on developing kind, compassionate, thoughtful kids and not at all about memorizing dogma. My husband and I believe in public school but it was not meeting our daughter's needs. It was a difficult decision to move her to JCDSRI but we are so thankful we did. We have zero regrets and would recommend this school to anyone!

Posted October 24, 2013

Welcoming All. We have been at JCDS for 2 years now and love it. Their approach is child centered and progressive. The kids are respected, challenged and supported by their awesome teachers and staff. The community of parents is amazing too. Very open and down to earth. I love the emphasis on Jewish values and spirituality. There is a range of families: interfaith, secular to modern orthodox, single parents, LGBT, varying socioeconomic income, AND all are welcomed!

Posted October 21, 2013

I have two children at JCDS and I am beyond thrilled with the quality or education they receive everyday. It is a community that is welcoming, engaging and inspiring. Every teacher is warm and nurturing while instilling a love of life long learning. My children are given a rigorous and progressive curriculum. They are taught to care for each other and the community that they live in. I am confident they will be prepared academically for all future endeavors.

Posted October 13, 2013

JCDS has a wonderful Pre-K program. My daughter comes home each day content. The teachers are warm, caring, and dedicated to the work they do. The room is set up to create a wonderful atmosphere that allows for exploration, learning while providing places for children to have alone time. The class is set up to focus on emotional intelligence, teaching children self-calming skills and mediation skills. As well, the class is set up to allow children to engage in children and teacher-directed interests, scientific method, and meaningfulness behind Jewish practice. It is an incredible program

Posted October 9, 2013

JCDSRI is a warm and caring environment where my daughters feel safe taking intellectual risks. They are truly growing into mensches who are passionate about learning and about caring for our world. JCDSRI addresses the whole child, and because of this school, my children are in a place where progressive educators nurture their neshamot.

Posted October 9, 2013

This school has done great things for my son. He generally has anxiety, and they have helped him to grow and learn since he's been here. He is generally more confident in learning now. The small but inclusive community is very welcoming to families of all backgrounds.

Posted October 9, 2013

JCDS is an amazing school! It has it all - a supportive and nurturing environment for our children, strong academics, great teachers and a caring parent community. It is also a wonderfully diverse place that reflects the pluralism and inclusiveness of the Rhode Island Jewish community.

Posted October 9, 2013

My school is really amazing in terms of the education, the vision and the support given to the students, parents and teachers. Our students benefit from a value-based education which also emphasizes creativity, the sense of wonder and academic rigor. I have been both a teacher and parent at this school and have witnessed it undergo a number of transformations. I must admit that this year, I am the most excited about where I see it heading in terms of its educational vision and approach.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 9, 2013

JCDS is a fantastic school that allows children to be the best of themselves. It values students as individuals while engaging them in a strong community. Teachers are compassionate, creative and empowering. Students learn Jewish values, skills, pride and knowledge while having a great deal of fun!

Posted October 9, 2013

JCDS is an amazing school that is rich in cultural diversity, academic excellence (both Judaic and General Studies), and has created a tight-knit, welcoming and caring community of children, parents and staff. Children are encouraged to become independent, critical thinkers and develop a strong sense of self both as Jews and individuals while at JCDS.

Posted October 9, 2013

My son in is Pre-K and the teachers are amazing! The level of enthusiasm, professionalism, commitment and dedication to their job is truly unique and outstanding. Having just moved here from NYC, where my son attended one of the best preschools in the country, I was skeptical and nervous to make the transition to this school. However once I spoke to his teacher and met her in person I felt immediately relieved, and excited about the way he would learn and grow here at JCDS-RI. His teachers are committed to a child-led, teacher-inspired learning where children's interests and desires inspire a majority of the curriculum; but because the teachers are incredibly skilled and have a strong sense of child development and early childhood pedagogy they are able to intertwine the children's interests with core learning concepts, challenging the children to grow and at the same time strengthening their social and emotional development. I have every confidence that my son will leave Pre-K with a stronger sense of himself, more resilience with peers, and a deeper love and understanding of what it means to be a Jew and how valuable his voice and mind are in this community.

Posted October 9, 2013

What attracted me to JCDS RI was the sense of community I felt the first time I came for a tour. My child just started his 4th year here and he loves school!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Music room

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Irene Rudnick
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Jewish
Associations
  • SSDS
Fax number
  • (401) 351-7674

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Art teacher(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Remediation
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Art room
  • Garden
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom