Providence, RI
Before care: Yes

Posted October 07, 2014
As a recent alumnus of FASRI I feel the school has prepared me extremely well for high school. I really, really enjoyed my time at the French American school. The environment has, at least from my student's standpoint, never been anything but incredibly warm and welcoming, and I started in pre-school. Academically, I am ahead of most of my peers, even at a demanding high school, as is the rest of my graduating class. I love FASRI and I believe it can show even more improvement, as it seems to be doing, according to my younger siblings. I'm so proud to be an alumnus of this school, and not just because I speak fluent French. In fact, even though it's important, I could consider that a mere party trick compared to the rest of what FASRI has taught me. I personally believe that this school is, as someone said, a gem, and I wish more people knew it.

Posted July 17, 2014
The French-American School of a Rhode Island is the hidden gem of the City. Its tuition is remarkably affordable. The founder and head of school did a remarkable job with very little means, developing a unique dual language international program and nurturing an inclusive community. The school employs over thirty people, and provides twice as much volunteer opportunities. It is a very good place to work at, allowing its staff to grow, develop and learn. Teachers who left have returned. People are cared for by a thoughtful administration.Teachers appreciate their resources. Professional and self-development are priorities, as well as evaluation and self-accountability. Change is part of the school culture, and is not a challenge for the visionary founder and former head who moved the school forward successfully and developed all areas of the school simultaneously. She is missed already.

Posted June 16, 2014
The bad news is that there is a new head of school. The current head of school is fantastic. She has devoted her life to the school and many ungrateful parents seem to forget that the she is, in fact, the founder, and that the school wouldn't be where it is today if it hadn't been for her. She has, with the help of dedicated teachers, created a top notch curriculum promoting creativity and philosophy starting in pre-school. It has a implemented the 21st century education and is always trying to better its curriculum to better suit its students. It is an excellent school. It has given so many students the opportunity to learn an other language and be aware of diversity. It teaches its students to be open-minded. All unsatisfied parents should probably look at the alumni's achievements before criticizing the school ( McGill, Brown, La Sorbonne...). The head of school and the staff devote their time and energy without counting extra hours to ensure FASRI students have the best education. This is also due to the head of school's amazing leadership. I would recommend this school to any parent wishing to ensure the best education for his/her child.

French-American School of Rhode Island 2

Posted May 26, 2014
The good news is that a new Head of School will be coming for the new school year. Thank goodness the board got rid of the previous one who was just awful. I agree that the parents are excellent and a really great part of the school. There are some good teachers, but there was a lot of unrest in the past few years over poor teaching and some who really should not have even been teachers in the first place. Some really good teachers left because they got fed up. Really it was all due to lack of good leadership. I am hoping that the new Head of School will be able to do the job that the previous one could not do. This can really be a great school. There is no other one like it in Rhode Island, so hopefully, things will finally look up again.

French-American School of Rhode Island 2

Posted September 29, 2013
Great school for having your children grow up to be bilingual. That is a wonderful and rare opportunity. There are some serious concerns though. This school is not what it used to be. There are definitely some teachers who take away from the good of this school. I don't understand how some teachers' contracts are renewed at all. At the same time, some really good teachers got frustrated and left. This is not good. This school used to once really be great and I would have recommended it in a second. I cannot say the same now and that bothers me. I think leadership needs to look more objectively at teachers and not select favorites. If they're not doing the job well, they have to go. This school can be great again, but it is going to take a lot of work. The greatest and most consistent asset of this school are the parents. They're involved and supportive. I hope that the leadership of this school will remember what is important and get this school back to what I (and so many other parents) saw it as. It can be done, but it's going to take real reflection and work.

French-American School of Rhode Island 3

Posted July 30, 2013
Did the middle school have a class assignment in April where the students had to all write a positive review for greatschools.org and rave about this school? Why did the students all write in during the same week? This seems so phony. My experience with this school is that too many of the teachers are bullies. Some of them are ridiculous. I know of several families that left over the recent years because of poor teacher attitude. The principal needs to screen who she hires much more carefully and follow up in making sure that they're doing their jobs without terrorizing the kids. Some of the instruction is of very low quality as well. You should see the below grade level work the students are asked to do. This school needs work and it had better get in shape before it goes down the tubes. The principal needs to keep a closer watch and make sure that the right things are happening. She is CLEARLY not doing this.

Posted June 18, 2013
Fine bilingual education. Small school, small community. My son has been with the school for over 7 years now.

Posted April 09, 2013
I am currently a student at FASRI. I am in 7th grade. I have been studying here since the age of 3 and the same goes for the majority of my classmates. We are in a very small middle school: only 17 students. We have a great relationship. We consider each other like family! I am sure that when we all graduate from this amazing school that we will missed each other greatly. I'm actually really surprised about all of the negative comments. We are all COMPLETELY bilingual, which may I say, is quite a feat, AND we are at an advanced level in English language arts! We are always improving. We have incredible teachers that not only teach us the skills required for high school, but also constantly motivate and support us. There is a no bullying policy and the environment is so welcoming and supportive! I am so thankful that I have been able to spend so much time here! :)

Posted April 05, 2013
This is a great school. Not only does it deliver a wonderful bilingual education, but it is also a really great environment to learn in. The teachers can be slightly strict, but they are also extremely encouraging and they teach very well. All the students and parents and teachers are very dedicated. I went to this school for 10 years, including the Middle School, and I cannot sing its praises high enough. I have made many wonderful friends here, and since it is a very small school everyone forms a very tight bond. I could not imagine going anywhere else. I come from a completely American family, but now I am bilingual. It is really and truly an amazing thing! I was very upset by the negative comments that I saw below, since neither me nor my friends have ever experienced any of the things that they referenced. Merci beaucoup, FASRI!

Posted April 04, 2013
I am a middle-school student at FASRI and I think this school is great. Since it is a small school, students are more engaged and participate more. I have been with this school since the age of 3 and most of my classmates as well. Everyone in our class is now fluent in French and English and now we are also learning Spanish. We hope none of you take the negative reviews seriously. Thanks, from The Middle Schoolers

French-American School of Rhode Island
75 John St, Providence, RI  02906
Last modified French-American School of Rhode Island is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
French-American School of Rhode Island Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top