Public charter
Providence, RI

Highlander Charter School 1

Posted February 06, 2015
What was once a wonderful learning experience is now lackluster at best. I would attest that their elementary school program is still stellar with some of the best educators I have ever encountered. However, something changes when the children transition to middle school. I have to assume it is because of the focus of standardized testing that has shifted the focus of the administration from an engaging place to learn with supports for every kind of learner to a teach-to-the-test method that leaves most students struggling or underwater. The head of school is a wonderful woman who wants the best for her students, but it has become clear, over the years, that she has taken on perhaps more than she can successfully juggle. Parent engagement has all but dissolved and I no longer know the school in which I once felt so welcomed.

Highlander Charter School 3

Posted February 05, 2015
I have had 3 kids enrolled in Highlander.When their charter was in jeopardy of being revoked the administration changed to save their jobs. During that change they sold their sole and all they stood for. The administrator put such pressure,stress on the students that the creative teachers had to goose step into line.My children had leaning differences "one student at a time" motto when out the window.My kids now cried they hated school.The Special Ed department can't even follow or write an effective iep.One of my children didNt have a teacher but a TFA teach for America student.The administration was never forthcoming with this information.The TFA "teacher" would break down and cry in class stating to the kids that it was too much.But that was only a "perception" on my child.Next, my eighth garder read a book that was so violent and sexuallity charged in the name of teaching the kids about "choices".The main character was raped very vividly in jail.I would have movedHellandhigh water to keep the Highlander of the past open.Most of the staff are great people and awesome out of the box teacher's with a love of learning! For them who stayed true their values. I am thankful!

Highlander Charter School 1

Posted February 05, 2015
All is not what it seems. It looks good from the outside. Some wonderful teachers but they frequently change their teaching methods. When test scores are not great they constantly counteract with an excuse "we are no longer teaching that way". Or "Our kids have excelled and that one test doesn't reflect that". It went from a small family "big picture" school. To a large, now pre K thru 12 experimental school always working on the next best thing. Sad to see.

Posted April 17, 2010
Individual learning plans, devoted faculty and staff, arts based curriculum. Celebrated diversity in a small community based school.

Posted April 17, 2010
I doubt this space is large enough for me to write everything I love about Highlander. Let's start with the dedicated support staff and the wonderful teachers, or we could talk about the student-specific teaching style, or maybe I should mention how my children are genuinely engaged and excited by school. Perhaps, though, it would be our award-winning after school program that would catch your interest. The bottom line is after having had my children in Highlander, I cannot imagine putting them anywhere else.

Posted September 02, 2009
I love this school and one of the reason is because they focus on each individual learning process.

Posted December 18, 2008
This is my daughter's first year at Highlander. She attended a local Catholic School prior to attending Highlander and we are both very happy with the change. She is excited about going to school everyday and about learning. Socially, she is accepted here for who she is, and I feel blessed that she has the opportunity to attend Highlander. Her teacher has over eight years of teaching experience and has really made an impression on my daughter. I see her challenging herself and becoming more responsible for her work each day. Thank you to all the staff for creatng the school environments parents dream about.

Posted October 03, 2008
I've been a teacher here for 5 years now. I teach 8th grade math and science and I love my job and teaching children in Providence. The staff of the school is young (but experienced) and getting better every day,...I trust them and their management and creativity enough to bring my Kindergartner here,...we have a great chess team and field soccer, basketball and step teams,...

Posted January 30, 2008
Fantastic. Staff and Teachers are wonderful. As a parent I am always welcome in the classroom, I am informed of what the kids are learning. They really do teach every child including the ones that are not struggling. Great job.

Posted November 26, 2007
All the packaging is enticing, the extracurricular activities look good on paper but the achievers wait all day for the challenged students to try to get on task. Not the place for a student working at grade level. Young idealistic teachers, large turnover.

42 Lexington Ave, Providence, RI  02907
Last modified Highlander Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highlander Charter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top