St. Mary Academy-Bay View

Private | PK-12

Student diversity

Living in Riverside

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $180,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $930.

Sweep tile

Posted March 26, 2014

Changing to this school has been a great move for our daughter. The individualized teaching, accelerated programs and exciting use of technology has her enjoying everyday.

Posted September 24, 2013

We were dissatisfied with Bay View on a number of levels, but the biggest one was the quality of teachers. If you want experienced, caring, enthusiastic and well-qualified teachers, look elsewhere. If you want teachers who went to Bay View themselves, this is the place for you.

Posted July 25, 2013

It's an ok school, but it is going downhill. The girls are living in a bubble. There aren't as many students as threre used to be, and the girls are very cliquey, especially in high school. The school only cares about sports, and most of the teachers don't know what they're teaching with the exception of a couple good ones. I really wouldn't recommend this school.

Posted March 30, 2012

Bayview is a wonderful school that prepared both my daughter and myself for our futures. We are both strong women who live life to the fullest. My daughter was well prepared for college and is able to balance academics with a job and friendships. Twenty-seven years after graduation, I still maintain close friendships with many of my classmates

Posted February 1, 2012

We have been at BVA elementary for 3 years and have not regretted our decision for a minute. We travel 1/2 hr each way and it is well worth it! The teachers are wonderful and truly care about the girls. Every day they care about not only the academics but the girls as people. They could not be any more caring or supportive. Both our daughters are thriving. Our oldest is going into middle school next year and we only hope the middle school is as wonderful as the elementary. Thank you to all who work so hard to make BVA such a wonderful place for our daughters.

Posted January 6, 2012

Bay View is without a doubt an amazing school. My cousin went to Bay View and she always told me how wonderful how wonderful the school was (and is), but I took her comments with a grain of salt. The only reason I took the admissions test was because a friend of mine didn't want to take it alone. Well, I got in -- and the rest, as they say, is history. I had a terrific experience at Bay View. Going from public to private school (and not being around boys every day) was tough at first, but I got used to it. The teachers are fantastic. To this day, I still talk to some of them (and I graduated in 2008). Bay View prepared me so well for college, and I'm now holding a 3.98 GPA at one of the top schools in the country, with plans to go to graduate school for speech-language pathology. Bay View is well worth the money and I would recommend this school to any young woman looking for an excellent education,

Posted December 3, 2011

Don't listen to these negative reviews. There are no "all girl" problems, just that that is the Elementary School, and kids don't know any better. I am in middle school, looking for high schools next year and I have no hesitations about staying at Bay View. The all girls atmosphere has helped me concentrate on my learning and not have the distraction of boys around, unlike other coed schools in the area. The connection and care that comes from the teachers is tremendous and you couldn't ask for anything better. We are most definitely up to date on math and science departments, and our school is not falling downhill. As many of my other classmates will agree, Bay View is like a second home to us, and all the teachers and administrators care about us. I would never think about changing schools because the atmosphere is just so amazing. We have an amazing preforming arts and sports program, yes, but our academics are outstanding.

Posted October 19, 2011

Bay View doesn't compare to any other school in RI. It out ranks them in academic achievements, regional and national testing scores, athletics and college preparedness. It teaches young woman to be self confident, competitive and independent thinkers. Their mission is to "prepare young woman for the challenges of the global community of the 21st century". It is a school of opportunity that fosters excellence. One of the first comments from returning alum is that they were well prepared for college and how much they appreciate what BVA has given them. It is money well spent.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 12, 2010

I am a parent in the Elementary school. Bay View is excellent acadmically, however, they could be better at dealing with social issues and all the 'all gir' issues have to offer.

Posted November 13, 2009

crushes sense of individuality. Also is too narrow in teaching ways and in learning style

Posted September 18, 2009

In a few short weeks, my daughter has learned more at St. Mary Academy-Bay View than she did in an entire year at her previous school. The teachers are motivated, creative, and sincerely care about their students. The school strikes a perfect balance of being nurturing and challenging, while emphasizing values of respect, responsibility, compassion, and honesty. We are so happy our daughter is at Bay View. She loves it, too!

Posted June 5, 2009

Bay view is an excellent school. we learn discipline, religion, and everything every school is supposed to offer. Although there are no boys, which may be disappointing at times, it's easier to concentrate on our work without them. I am currently in 7th grade, in the all honors class, and maintain an A average. i doubt that if i was in Johnston public, i'd do this good. The teachers are wonderful because they really get to know you and they try to make learning fun. they Want you to learn, and that's the most important thing. For any child who's looking to attend the middle school, well there are midterm and final exams. try to do your best and the teachers will like you. it's an amazing school and if you dont attend, your missing out on great oppurtunity.

Posted January 16, 2009

Bay View is hiding behind its former excellence. The school is rapidly slipping downhill and is falling behind in math and science studies. The administration puts too much value on sports excellence because they know it will bring the school publicity, but this is at the expense of its academic excellence.

Posted March 4, 2008

Coming to Bay View was by far the best decision I have ever made. I left Smithfield High School because I absolutely hated it, and I found everything I was looking for in terms of preparation for college, at the Bay.

Posted March 13, 2007

I'm a ninth grader at Bayview and I can honestly say I look forward to school everyday. It's my first year here so you would think transition would be hard, but it's just such a comfortable and empowering place, one can't help but love it. I've attended several different schools in the past few years and have decided that BVA is the place for me without a doubt. The girls are great, the teachers are great, and the whole system just adds to the acedemic experience. The sports teams are some of the best in the state, and there are extracurricular activities galore for anyone and everyone interested. We put on an amazing Cabaret as well and many of our girls are musically and artistically talented. Parents can be as involved as they want, but the school can usually handle itself. It really is a great place to be.

Posted February 21, 2007

I attended Bay View for high school. It was an amazing experience that has changed my life in more was than I can describe. In short, the academics are fantastic, I was barely in the top third of my class and I am currently attending one of the best colleges in the country. The teachers are amazing: they pushed me beyond what I ever imagined I could do and prepared me extremely well for college. The extracurriculars are fanastic, especially the arts. The administration was great, they were personally involved in the students' lives. Finally, the student body was incredible. When I entered high school I was extremely shy and passive. I have become a much more active and aware citizen and have made friendships that will last a lifetime. Going to Bay View was the best decision I ever made.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 8, 2006

I am a student at Bay view and I think this is one of the best`schools in ri. I am getting a great education.I have`met lots of great frends. when I first visited was given a tour of the elementary school by fifth graders they knew so much about their school and were proud of it.Here there are music, art, spanish, and library classes. there is also a computer class. I have attended scince pre k and am now in fifth. I love my teacher and my school

Posted September 21, 2005

My daughter started at BVA in the 4th grade. She came from a very small private school. The teachers were very attentive to her need for adjustment and now as she enters her freshman year I have nothing but good things to say about the continual guidance that the school provides. I feel the school provides more than just an excellent academic program. They turn out young women not afraid of exploring and reaching out to accept new and diverse challenges of today's highly competitive environment whether it be in the arts or the sciences. It is nice to see taditional values being imparted to the girls in a wonderfully modern way without stifling their growth. Truly a gem of a school. ~nd

Posted April 9, 2005

I have attended Bay View ever since the First Grade...now I am in the 8th grade. I love it. Although it is an 'all-girls' school, the friends you make, and the teachers are excellent. Teachers strive to make it an educational and fun loving experience. Based on my years at Bay View, I have always loved Middle School the best, you recieve a lot of responsiblity but we do have our fair share of dress down days which is a plus. If you can send your child to this school at an early age or starting in the 6th grade, you will have no regrets. The atmosphere is wonderful, and generous, basing all of it's values on love, edcucation, woman's awareness, and participation, the ethnicity in this school are so diverse and fresh among even the uniforms, I cherish BVA.

Posted January 5, 2005

Our daughter is a freshman and is thriving in the positive environment. She finds teachers are demanding and challenging. Her love of the arts is nurtured through the music and theater programs. We feel a real partnership between parents and administration to give our daughter the best opportunity to succeed.

• All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NAIS
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious