Posted January 06, 2014
My daughter is currently enrolled in this school and I feel that it is grossly over-rated. They tell you that the teacher/student ratio is 10:1 and that is nothing but a bold faced lie. Her classes average 28 students with only one teacher on the class. My daughter had a question of one of the teachers and the teacher replied " you really don't know the answer"? Daughter says "no". Then the teacher says"wow"..... And walked away..... My daughter was on the RI High Honor Society.... I would not recommend this school to anyone... V ry upset Dad......

Posted October 24, 2013
This high school set children with any kinds of problems up to fail. They try hard to remove them so the can try to score high on state testing and see them as a weak link.

Posted January 23, 2012
I am a former SHS student who was a RI Honor Society member, played sports, had lots of friends and never really had issues because I pushed myself. However, I saw many kids who fell through the cracks in this school and never came up from it. I attend a great business school in Boston and I struggled big time my first 2 years having to go to summer school for Math!! I had never fallen behind in any academics in my life and I must say, day 1 in college, I knew SHS did nothing for me Math wise. I was shocked at how advanced the other students were versus my skills. I also thought the guidance department was terrible, thankfully my mother helped with all college pre duties and setup interviews at my top schools. Someday I'll come back to RI and settle in Lincoln so I can send my kids there. They have the best public school.

Smithfield High School 5

Posted April 07, 2011
The school is great, a lot of activities to get into. As for the curriculum, some books need updates, but they are still recent enough to include all major changes in the past 5-7 years. Teachers treat the students like adults, which many actually want. As for the school programs, the construction has metal working, robotics, wood shop. The business department has the Academy of Finance along with law classes and accounting and such. All in all, an excellent school where students are pushed and even the lazy people actually get work done.

Smithfield High School 3

Posted July 07, 2010
The teachers are enthusiastic about teaching and helping students, but the curriculum itself is severely lacking. Math class needs to be reconstructed entirely, while MANY students lack interest in both Math and English. Morale and school spirit is high here, thanks to the very friendly faculty. The administration needs to start sitting in these classrooms and see firsthand what's working and what isn't. It isn't the teachers' fault for poor standardized test scores; it's the [out-of-date, heavy, and sometimes confusing] material they are forced to teach the students.

Smithfield High School 4

Posted November 29, 2009
my daughter came to this school from another state. The community her accepted her without prejudice. All the grades from 9-12 th as she states, hang out together, there are no cliques or groups, everyone is equal, bad language is rarely used here, which is great not what were used too. I couldnt believe how well my daughter adjusted here. Now its time for us to move and shes reluctant to do so. Im reluctant to as well because of the unusual positive experience shes had. I would recommend this school to anyone. It is very old and could use updating and new books. Maybe some new electives that would go with todays interests would also be a good idea

Smithfield High School 5

Posted October 08, 2009
I am a recent SHS alumni. I came to Smithfield as a freshman, and I believe anyone who wants to make friends can do so. A very close and accepting student body and excellent teachers made my time here memorable. I am now in a good college and feel quite prepared.

Posted September 03, 2009

Posted June 18, 2009
my grandson goes to Smithfield High and as one of the other parents stated, he has been stereotyped. There is only one teacher that who has taken the time to really get to know him, the others are just there to put in their time. I had heard so many good things about this school and have been greatly disappointed. When a teacher belittles a student in front of the whole class I don't feel that that is beneficial to any student, especially at this time in their. But I guess if it makes HER feel better about herself that's all that matters. I would not give this school a good rating & am upset that my tax dollars are going to waste.

Posted April 03, 2009
I have 2 students in this school, both with different needs and yet the younger one has been 'stereotyped' {Learning disabled, slow, below average intelligence} as if she were her brother. With the oldest I have attended IEP meetings, have been treated as if I don't know anything. Very poor communication and now we get a RECORDING from the principal if something is wrong {tardiness, etc}. Both of my children will be so glad to be out of there, but as another individual said, they were NOT prepared for life after HS {college}. I agree with shutting it down and allowing the students to go to another district!

Smithfield High School
90 Pleasant View Ave, Smithfield, RI  02917
(401) 949-2050
Last modified Smithfield High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smithfield High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top