Wakefield, RI
Students enrolled: 1,057

Posted November 03, 2014
SKHS is overall a good school. The teachers and administrators are great. The only problem is the guidance department, which is seriously lacking. If they had a professional and effective guidance department I would have given the school 5 stars.

Posted June 10, 2014
My son has been attending this school for over a year, and his experience has been excellent, the teachers are extremely professional. I only agree with a couple of points from the previous review- administration staff are lacking both people skills and direction, kids are disrespectful, and taxes are horrible in Rhode Island. Welcome to Rhode Island, I don't like it either. If you want an extraordinary experience you should try a private school or try showing your children that they can be better than the handful of lacking individuals that surround them. They are going to be surrounded by them all their lives as adults in the real world. I would recommend South Kingstown High school over so many in Rhode Island that I researched.

Posted May 24, 2014
Not sure who is in charge when you walk through the door(students or administration/faculty). Of course there are good teachers, there always are. Are they supported in facilitating appropriate learning in mixed classrooms-?? If your student is middle of the road, do not expect much to inspire or develop. Basic requirements of the state is what you'll get. Little respect for faculty(calling teachers by their first names-), hats on, pants barely covering butts..ect..Not a lot of follow through with discipline. Unfortunate as the tax rate is one of the highest in the state.

Posted January 21, 2014
The teachers are extremely professional. The school principal is very involved and on target. This is the best school in Rhode Island.

Posted December 26, 2013
i am currently a freshman at this school and i enjoy it very much. i am soon moving to new jersey so i am very sad that i will be moving on from this amazing school. When i started at SK i was new to the state and knew nobody, the people are so welcoming and nice. most of the teachers are great, there is obviously the odd few that i don't like, but thats normal, every teenager has the one teacher they hate. i am a straight B's and C student with your odd A here and there. i would recommend sending you child/teen here because i can guarantee they will love it!

Posted September 17, 2013
Wow, so many bad reviews here, or maybe a lot of them are outdated?? Everyone's experience is different, and it's really what you make of it that matters, unless you're having a seriously bad experience, which is rare. On average, teachers are good, bullying isn't a huge problem, administration usually knows what they're doing. Biggest problem: "Guidance counselors" who neither guide nor counsel with care. My personal counselor never meets with me unless there's a problem with my HS schedule, and we have never once discussed college....and I'm a senior. But aside from Guidance department, it's mostly good.

Posted January 28, 2013
Everyone's school experience doesn't necessarily match the reviews, the ratings or the gossip. We have been nothing but pleased with the way SKHS has met the needs of our son. We initially sat down with his counselor who was very careful to consider his learning style and personal needs when arranging his class schedule. She made sure that he knew her door was always open and she was available to help him out if needed. Each of his teachers has been a great fit for his learning style and his personal needs. Having just moved to the area, we were a bit anxious about his adjustment from a small private school to such a large public school. Quite to the contrary, he has done exceptionally well and is enthusiastic about school. My only issue is some of the behaviors my son has described regarding other students. For example, disrespecting teachers, makeout sessions in the hallway between classes and so on. Clearly, these are issues that are best dealt with on an individual basis and don't necessarily reflect the overall character of the school. Nonetheless, we have been pleased with SKHS and grateful for a positive experience there. :)

Posted October 02, 2012
Worse school ever it dont even deserve a star my son is getting physically bullied by a senior and teachers dont do nothing about it.and also many kids falling through cracks!Seriously!If i were you i would put my child somewhere else

Posted March 29, 2011
I do not know how you can have a good review of this school, period.

South Kingstown High School 3

Posted January 22, 2010
Both my daughters graduated from south kingstown high school. My oldest had an IEP. She is one of the students who fell through the cracks. She tells me she can't read or spell. This is sad seeing how many iep meetings i attended where they informed me that she was doing well. they would tell me that she is reaching all her goals. all goals met. Oviously i was misinformed for years. Then my next child who was 2 years behind my first daughter had to complete a profolio to graduate. Even though she completed the profolio, she also has difficulty with spelling. I'm a very unsatisfied parent. My girls both attended the high school for 4 yrs. The Kids r rude and i had to go to the school numerous times because of girls bullying my daughter. Overall the Staff, teachers and principal were helpful and didnt tolerate bullying.

South Kingstown High School
215 Columbia St, Wakefield, RI  02879
Last modified South Kingstown High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Kingstown High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top