Pilgrim High School

Public | 9-12

Posted July 18, 2011

I was in the first graduating class of 1964. When I look back I think that Pilgrim compares very well to other schools around the country. They prepared me well for college and I received a well rounded education. The education I received there in the sixties was better than many of the college educations of today. I am retired now and am glad I received a quality Pilgrim education which prepared me well and was the basis for a successful life.

Posted February 19, 2010

it has some very decitated teachers and the prinicpal is really doing well. the guidence dept and the office are another subject, they are the laziest people I have ever had to deal with. they do nothing all day to help the kids or parents.

Posted April 9, 2009

All of the teachers within the school are great. They really do show care towards students and their progression throughout the school. As I finish up my senior year I can safely say that I have learned and partook in many interesting classes and teaching methods all throughout the different subjects. The only negative sides are the condition of the school, it's a mess and needs to be fixed up, it looks disgusting sometimes. The other negative side happens to be some of the administration. While some are very down to earth good people others are very bitter, not understanding and a lot of times mean towards students. Even so, the quality of the teachers more than makes up for it.

Posted March 23, 2009

Pilgrim is a great school. The current principal has worked so hard to improve the school in every aspect. He has improved test scores along with the school moral. I graduated last year and would say that over the past four years pilgrim has become like a family. Not all of the teachers care but most of them do. I have only come accros a few that did not like their jobs. The teachers that do care will go above and beyond their job requirements. In my four years I only saw 2 fights. Everyone their tries to get along. Pilgrim is a very safe and inviting enviornment. 'Once a Patriot always a Patriot'

Posted July 3, 2008

Pilgrim before the principal we currently have was a pretty sloppy school, tests were average, and there really wasn't anything to brag about. but with the principal we have now, we are improving every year, the school is becoming stronger and more unified. this principal has motivated us to be better and to do better things. are test scores have gone up and we are now the best of the public schools within warwick. i thank our principal

Posted January 5, 2007

Pilgrim is a great school. I am a senior this year and the four years I have been there, it has improved each year. Last year's test scores showed that we are the best school in the city. Our principal has tried to improve our school each year. Teachers at Pilgrim care for their students. It is too bad that not all people feel the way many of us at Pilgrim feel about our school.

Posted January 3, 2007

I am a senior at Pilgrim this year. In my four years, I have seen Pilgrim improve every year. Our school is now the best in the city. We have been rated with the highest rating given by the state of RI for the past four years. Our principal has improved the school every year I have been there. School spirit has gotten better every year. Now that our teachers have a contract, things have gotten even better. It is too bad that some people have not had a good experience at Pilgrim. For me, it has been the best.

Posted June 24, 2006

Pilgrim High School is proof positive that any idiot can graduate from public schooling. I graduated this past June, and I doubt that half of the 300+ students who crossed the stage with me are ready and able to complete assignments in a real college. For the most part, Pilgrim High School directs its cirriculum to the lowest common denominator. If you are considering sending your child to Pilgrim, and have the money to afford private schooling, then you should go that route. The teachers at Pilgrim show a genuine disdain for their jobs, the secretaries shuffle papers for 6 hours a day and are generally cranky, and the guidance department does not work nearly as fast as is needed in order to get things done. If you favor rote memorization and low standards, send your child to Pilgrim.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 18, 2005

As a former student I see where the school has been and where it is going. First, I must say that the school cannot be merited (or demerited) solely by concentrating on current students' since they have a subjective view with nothing else to compare to. The current principal was my teacher while I attended Pilgrim. His tough but fair (within guidelines) mentality prepared me for the career I am about to start. He is working harder than any other principal I have seen to make the school what it should be...a learning and growing environment. The teacher quality is great, but it can be much better, and that will be resolved through a decent contract. Safety is a main concern in many schools these days and although they now have an in-school police officer, they are only as effective as the discipline. Overall, Pilgrim is getting better.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 4, 2005

I am a sophmore at Pilgrim High and over the summer have seen a dramatic change of the school, for the better. The front of the building looks amazing and really gives you a sense of pride in the school. I am hopeful that this school has made a turn for the better and shall continue to improve in the coming years. Thanks to a great Principal and growing PTSA.

Posted August 11, 2005

As an upcoming Junior in Pilgrim High School, I feel that our school shouldn't be judged by it's look. I do agree that some of the aspects are a bit tatty, but no school is perfect. What really matters is that most of the students and teachers really care about this school. We are offered interesting classes that help broaden our views on the world around us. We are also offered a wide variety of sports to take part in, which helps us have more involvement in our school. There's always a good size crowd for the major games and matches, which shows we have school spirit! The parents involvement could be a bit better, but right now it's about the kids, and we all support each other.

Posted August 8, 2005

I am going to be a senior at Pilgrim this coming fall. Over the summer, I've seen the school go thru alot of construction. I know many kids who go to Pilgrim don't always have pride with it and I think that is wrong. Within the last year things were done to make it a little more inviting. Hopefully things will continue to help make it more inviting. Now the major problem is the incoming freshman each yr. They think they are big and bad but they arent. No one is in high school. They need to get their act together realize that they are in for a rude awakening.

Posted May 10, 2005

Currently a senior at Pilgrim, I feel that most of the teachers are wonderful, they really care and will go that extra bit to help. However there,as in any schools, are teachers that teach for the summers off and certainly not to help the kids. I think the biggest problem with the school is the incoming classes. The generations seemed to be getting rougher each year. But i believe Pilgrim high school has, for the most part a wonderful staff of teachers who are a lot of fun and who truly care.

Posted February 26, 2005

I would not go as far as saying that Pilgrim is a joke, but rather that it needs help. I am currently a junior there and I know what goes on. Although renovations would be nice, it wouldn't help the problem. The problem is a lot of the incoming students. The current Freshmen and Sophomore classes contain the most immoral and uncivilized students that i know of. Most of them repeat grades because they just don't care. They need a dose of reality. They need to see that their behavior at Pilgrim High School won't be tolerated anywhere else.

Posted January 25, 2005

Pilgrim high school is a joke. Im in 11th grade and pilgrim is the most disgusting school I'v ever seen. If you go into the bath rooms there are ashes all over the seats, the bathroom constantly smells like smoke, the teachers that are suppose to be watching the bathrooms know who the smoker are and still let them go in there.There is writing all over the wall. There is no pride taken. Kids have nothing to respect about this school, that probably why it gets worse and worse. honestly i would send my kid to a any school but pilgrim.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted October 20, 2004

I heard from many students that the teachers won't let them go to the bathroom during class. I really think this is wrong. If you have to go,you have to go. Yes i know there are some kids just like to leave class but give some of them the benefit of the doubt. Plus another thing that bothers me is when the kids are having problems in class or the teachers give them paper warnings to bring home or anything to bring home they dont. Why dont the teachers make calls to parents of troubled kids in school so they are aware of whats going on.

Posted July 25, 2004

I really do not care for this school very much. It does not offer as much assistants in getting kids motivated in school. Also it is so run down that the kids dont even want to use the bathrooms most hold it until they get home. Needs an awful lot of work on the building.

Posted September 19, 2003

this is an awesome school with much care, Senior 2004

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2014.

233 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2014.

235 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 30% in 2013.

226 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2014.

235 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2013-2014 Rhode Island used the New England Common Assessment Program (NECAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. GreatSchools ratings currently reflect 2013 test data; the ratings will be updated when the latest NECAP science data is made public and available in the summer of 2014. The NECAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Rhode Island. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Students without disabilities60%
Proficient in English52%
Non-migrant52%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Rhode Island Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 34%N/A43%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

111 Pilgrim Parkway