9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I was a student at this school and did not feel this school is worth the reputation it has. The main priorities of Hendricken are Theology and sports and everything else is pretty much an after thought. First, the academics. Going into my freshman year, I was assigned to read sports books for Honors English and this was constant throughout my four years there. Most people are shocked that I never had to read "Tom Sawyer", "Moby Dick", or "To Kill a Mockingbird" in high school. I did have a very dynamic and influential English teacher for my freshman year and part of my junior year AP English class but he was unfortunately asked to leave by the school administration for getting married without having an annulment. The teachers are pretty underpaid, which is typical for any Catholic school except when you see the money that goes to the sports program. Some were very good and some were pretty much useless. The administration is oppressive and disciplinarian. The atmosphere is very fraternity-esque in the worst sense of the word. The all-male environment meant that most students were insecure with themselves and with each other and had no clue how to deal with the opposite sex, causing them to treat every potentially attractive woman who entered the school (including some of the faculty) as an object (but hey, boys will be boys, am I right?). The arts program is a joke. The school invested a good deal of money into building a theatre program and this was successful from around 2007-2010 when the director left the school. After that it pretty much tanked and no one thinks of it as a theatre school anymore, which is sad. The music program is so/so. The band program was decent but chorus is a waste of time and you won't learn anything. Media and visual arts seem good, however. Looking back, I would not go through this experience again and I'm sorry that my parents spent over $40,000 to send me here. The promise of Hendricken is that you're supposed to come out prepared for college, but upon going to a school where I was expected to think for myself, I did not feel I was ready. On the bright side, you will probably get into most schools you applied to because of the reputation the school has.

Good morning I'm a proud alumni and parent of the school. I was wondering if anyone had any info on an old friend. I'm looking forward to seeing Mr. Sheldon back on campus, when we see this pillar of the community back in hawk land. I believe the principal is lacking the proper skill set to hold such title, and is more warranted as history teacher/cross country coach. My humble opinion.

My son is a sophomore at BHHS and has had an excellent experience thus far. The all male environment allows them great focus on all the critical aspects of a boy's high school education - faith, academics, and extra curricular activities, whether that be their outstanding sports or theater/arts programs. My son is in all honors classes and has had excellent teachers that have always challenged, but have been available to provide extra help when needed. Our few small bumps along the way have been immediately addressed by his teachers and dedicated guidance counselor, and with his involvement. We couldn't be happier with the quality of the school, its administration and faculty - an outstanding Catholic education where they walk the walk.

I honestly believe my money would have been better applied to college, as a incoming sophomore in college I'm realizing that even in all honors classes Hendricken didn't really prepare me for college. The staff always seems like they have something better to do, only a few really care about students will to learn. Even in the top 30 of my class Hendricken did next to nothing to help me get into colleges. They actually forgot to send an application and sended after the required date which resulted in rejection from that college. Honestly I am disappointed with my experience at Hendricken and I will not be attending my reunions, which are typically bunched with 5 other graduations. This school is for athletes and nothing else.

I will be a junior and can honestly say this is an OK school but it isn't all it's cracked up to be. I am in honors classes but I don't feel like they challenge me enough, and there aren't many AP classes availible. Also, I feel as if some of the teachers have somewhere better to be. I've made some good friends here, but with all boys in one school, it gets very loud and chaotic at times. Im actually considering transferring to a coed catholic school in RI next year. Hopefully it will be a better experience for me. Everyone is different, and if you want an OK education and high school experience you shoutobago here, but I really wouldn't recommend it to most people.

Unfortunately, we haven't had the same experience as most of the reviews here. I sent my son here in hopes of a superior all boys catholic education, but it hasnt been that way. The teachers weren't very helpful and often get annoyed if you ask them for help. My son also encountered bullying his freshman year because he was into the performing arts. He felt as if only the athletes got attention. I feel as if the tuition we spent here would have been better saved for college. He is now attending another school in RI and has had a MUCH better experience.

My son is a student at BHHS and will graduate in June. He has already been accepted to two of the "top" colleges in the U.S. He waits to hear from two others. Our experience with Hendricken has been nothing short of outstanding. The education our son has received is worth far more than we've spent on tuition. We would urge any parent to seriously consider Bishop Hendricken for their son's high school education.

4 years at bishop Hendricken high school was one of the worst experiences of my life.Few teachers actually taught or cared about what they were doing, the administration especially under the new principal was out of control and did not seem like they knew what they were doing.Placement of funds was spent in places where it should have been used to improve other flaws in the school.The technology was terrible, 1 computer lab in the whole school which we were not even allowed to use half the time.Cafeteria food was disgusting with no healthy options at all.For the money that we were paying, you would think the food would be a little better.There was not a variety of AP classes to choose from and were only allowed to kids with perfect GPA's. There was little opportunity for those in lower classes and only the "smart" and "athletic" kids got attention.I always laughed at when someone on the basketball team would get in trouble and just be able to go to the vice principals office and get everything worked out while others who did the same thing were punished.This school is overall unfair, poorly run, and pays little attention to the education of its students. All they care about is $$$

Unfortunately I cannot share the same rave reviews as most of the postings here. My son will graduate in June 2010 and I feel that my $40-45K dollars would have been better applied towards college. Having my other child graduate from my city public high school in 2008, I had much to compare as far as education and in almost every aspect I looked at Hendricken came up short. I found the curriculum in the public school to be much more challenging and the faculty to be much more energetic. Both of my children are of equal intelligence so it wasn`t a case of one was smarter than the other and should of had tougher classes. I know that I am in the minority as far as the postings here but if I had a son who wanted to attend Hendricken, now I would not recommend it.

My son should finish in the top 4% of the class of 2010 - beyond the acedemics he has participated in athletics and the arts. The school has the magic touch - whatever is required to maintain a student body that wants to be in school each day. The process is built on faith, and parents should also have faith that the school produces a quality product - the 'Hendricken Man' - who is ready for college and/or life based on his experiences at Bishop Hendricken. Plus or minus 1000 young men, in jackets and ties, that thrust their hand out to shake yours when they meet you, speaking in complete sentences, expounding comaraderie, most with clear goals ready to take on the world ..... well let's just say it's worth every penney.

Last modified Bishop Hendricken High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12