No rating

Good Shepherd Catholic School

Private | 3-8 | 189 students

We foster the spiritual,academic,physical, social, emotional growth of students.

Living in Woonsocket

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $120,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

School Official Point of View

Posted November 28, 2012

Good Shepherd Catholic Regional School is very proud of our standards towards both professionalism and our teaching of high moral values. We are happy to have the support of the pastors of our member parishes which is a testament to our ability to uphold these standards throughout our school year. The safety of our students and staff is of utmost importance to us. Our Principal and staff have provided many years of longevity which is clearly indicative of their dedication to our students, families, parishes and communities. With that being said, we live in an ever changing world that Good Shepherd strives to stay well informed and in tune with the constant demands of that scenario. Although we strive to provide the best to our families our decisions are not always popular but will withstand the test of time to provide every student a safe, healthy, faithful and enriching environment. We, at Good Shepherd are always open to constructive criticism so that we can grow and adapt to the constant demands of a fully accredited and outstanding academic environment. We open our hearts to those that need love, when we open the avenues for their itellects to flourish.

Posted June 4, 2014

My school is okay depends how long you've been there I've only been here for six years some years were not fun and If you have a problem or some one is bullying DO NOT tell the teachers they don't do anything but tell you to go somewhere quiet talk that out but that doesn't help all the time.... Besides that and that some kids are really snobby and rude the school is pretty cool............

Posted June 25, 2012

I highly recommend this school for academics and morals, Individualized attention and everything I want for my children.

Posted May 27, 2012

well where do I start. I send my kid there to learn good morals and a high standard of professionalism. I figured if my son was exposed to good role models such as his teachers and the priest he would be fine. It has been a nightmare. the principal is truly a mean spirited individual who orders his teachers to crucify my son for things he did last year and before under the term "track record". My son got hit and punched but he was punished. His track record spoke for him. They nitpick and give detention for speaking without holding arm out. I mean detention!!! How about detention for using too many hand towels. My son was suspended for two days for accumulating many detentions for these kind of infractions. The principal even told my son he wished that he weren't in his school as a student. They collectively punish a kid because they meet and discuss their students with each other. what an awful environment. looking for an alternative.

Posted February 8, 2011

This school has nothing from the "A great school has:" list. They treat my son terribly for no good reason, and he gets in trouble for the dumbest things, that any other school would call "Kids playing". He said kids got detention from touching snow, and from walking on ice. If there are even the smallest puddles outside, recess is cancelled, Their lunch system makes no sense, the work assigned is way eaiser than it should be. The teachers and principal have also been rude and unhelpful towards me on the phone, and my son has told me that after the principal and I were done talking, he muttered something about wasting his time. I also know my son isn't lying, because he isn't spoiled or bad-tempered, and I can tell he really means it. I would rather have my kids in boot camp for the year, and this school is definitely not worth the money. If you read this and still bring your son/daughter to this school, I warned you.

Posted August 15, 2009

There does seem to be truth in what your saying. i.e. when there are limited spaces for a club or group it is evident whose child/children will be picked. This is a great school, but that is a rather unfortunate aspect of it.

Posted October 20, 2008

I attended Good Shepherd last year, and am now attending Mount Saint Charles Academy, and the things that I learned in that school is not any different than what I am learning now. The teachers are amazing, and gear to prepare their students for highschool. That is exactly what they do. the school is small and very close, were more of a family than a school. It is simply amazing !! If I could I would go back.

Posted July 13, 2008

Good Shepherd is a wonderful school. The work load may be a lot, but you learn so much there that it does not matter. This is my 4th year at Good Shepherd and I have hardly any complaints about it at all. K.W.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 24, 2008

Overall I am happy with this school. It is by far better than the public schools. However, it can be very 'clicky'. If you are on the PTO or are a former students you can do whatever and get away with breaking dress codes etc. You get picked for all the chaperone openings and your kids get picked for all the best jobs/roles available. I often feel looked down upon because I am a single mom and we get help with tuition. My child loves her friends and I do feel it is better than a public school.

Posted July 26, 2007

I have two sons who attend Good Shepherd Catholic School. I highly recommend this school to any parent. The principal and teaching staff is wonderful, friendly and very caring. The work load for the students is sometimes heavy but the amount of knowledge the students are taught is very impressive. My sons have learned so much. They truly love this school. We all wish this school would go up to 12th grade! - S. Pacheco

Posted January 8, 2006

This school is the probably the best run school my 2 daughters ahve ever attended. THe principal takes a very pro-active interest in his students. All of the teachers are caring, nuturing indivuals. There is nothing this principal or teachers won't do to straighten any problems out. THe students agrenda which is required to be signed every Thursday keep you in touch. Parents and teachers communciate through this agrenda and its a great tool. All schools should use this. Try it, if you're intested.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 23, 2004

My son attends Good Shepherd. It is a wonderful, caring and nuturing school. I would highly recommend this school particularly to parents in the Woonsocket area. This school is a great alternative to the Woonscoket Public Schools. I only wish it went to 12th. grade. It is also very reasonably priced.

Posted August 10, 2003

My biggest problem with the school is the lack of communication between the teachers and parents. The teachers assume that the child will come home and remember all the necessary information to a homework assignment and/or project.

Asian 6% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Dance teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 2:40 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 3:15 p.m.
  • Mr. Lawrence Poitras, Jr.,Principal
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (401) 767-5905

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • None
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Woonsocket Education Department

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Msgr. Gadoury Catholic Regional School

School-based aid
Outside scholarships
Parish Subsidies and Diocesan Aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Mt. St. Charles Academy