West Ashley High School

Public | 9-12

Posted April 19, 2014

Great academic programs and extracurricular activities! West Ashley HS has a excellent selection of academic programs including AP Academy , Careers and Technology, Fine Arts, etc, etc.

Posted August 18, 2013

this school was very bad i absolutely hated it The teacher didnt care much for the students or their education and much violence my Son will never attend this school Ever

Posted May 6, 2013

West Ashley High School is under valued and under appreciated. The Advance Placement and Dual Credit courses are exceptional. The engineering course offering is excellent. The NJROTC program and it's instructors are a top notch, award winning operation. The Math department, tutoring and principal are worth their weight in gold!

Posted May 29, 2012

My son will be a junior in the upcoming school year. He has surrounded himself with great friends who share his vision in achieving their future goals and that has made the difference. Also, my husband and I stay involved with the school and interact with the teachers through conferences and emails. So far we have had no major difficulties. As with all school environments, there are always a few bad apples but we deal with them. Kudos to the Young Gentlemen's Club which is one of many positive organizations at the school.

Posted July 14, 2011

I agree with the review posted 2/9/10. There is LOTS of apathy at this school. The CP classes are not geared towards students who plan to attend a 4-year college. The Guidance department is just taking up space in the building. The "guidance" my child received was a joke. If you're shopping for a school for your college-bound student, look elsewhere.

Posted February 9, 2010

I am currently a senior at West Ashley. I'm a native of Charleston and I've attended public schools since elementary. Like any thing there's always the good and bad. Over the years I feel that at West Ashley the good is beginning to outweigh the bad. There has been an influx of students from North Charleston taking away from the community feel at West Ashley. There is also a wave of apathy among students, with little to no school spirit. If your child is placed in CP classes, don't plan on them going to a four year college. I've taken both AP and CP classes and CP teachers don't even take their students seriously. If you even chose to take let's say five AP courses, you can't because guidance does a poor job of fixing scheduling. The only good thing about WA is the career opps programs, the band, some sports.

Posted September 16, 2009

i love my school it might not always be a good day or a day that i wanna go or something but i love it the teacher really prepare us for college and to be someone in life and not just some child in the streets they encourage us to do so much more with out life that i can say i like my school a lot. you might hear about a fight here or there but i mean come on this is high school and who hasnt. honestly you cant stop a fight if you do ont know about it!!

Posted August 20, 2009

I'm a Junior at West Ashley who moved here out of state in my Sophomore year. I have to say West Ashley offers numerous specialized and career oriented courses that I know I wouldn't have the option to take in the majority of schools out of state. I'm an honor student taking 3 AP classes and many classes that should prepare me for the career I've always wanted. If I was elsewhere I don't think I'd have most any of the ones I have here. It's an excellent school with teachers who really know the subjects they're teaching and some are even really passionate about them (of course this is from my experience, I obviously haven't taken every class and had every teacher). In the end that's what I'm looking for in an education, not a guidance counselor that's readily available if I feel the need to complain.

Posted October 24, 2007

This is my second year experience with WAHS. My daughter is now in the 10th grade and is an Honor student; however, I am still not pleased in the least. Coming from a magnet elementary and middle school, the environment was a shock to her. Nevertheless, it is the fact that there is no order or control when it come to discipline. Teachers has even expressed to me that the procedures in place do not work. In addition, the Guideance Counselors are not readily available nor do they provide much information or assistance. It is a good thing that I am a parent that is involved. In the past year, the school's report card has now declined. I feel for the teachers. They have a difficult job.

Posted July 31, 2007

Last year was our first experience with west ashley high school. I liked that we were sent a message if my child was tardy or absent. This is a great tool for the parents. I found the teachers helpful with answering our questions in a new environment. I was disappointed with guidance and scheduling. I went to the school three times before school even started last year to ensure that the schedule changes were in effect. My child's schedule that was given to her was not correct. I am a working parent and this was very aggravating for me and my child. I then had to return to the school two more times after school started and my child remained sitting in the gym for weeks. She was assigned to two 12th grade classes in spite of all of my efforts to make sure things were done correctly. (She was in the 10th)

Posted April 13, 2005

I am just going to reply to the reviews I have read. To the parents saying the students getting bused into the school cause the problems. Trust me, the problems existed LONG before those students came to the school. I graduated in May of 2004 so I had the 'opportunity' to experience the split campuses (I was on the St. Andrews end). The fights at that campus were more frequent than my other three years. To the parent saying Olsen does not support the arts. I'm sorry, but an unsupportive principal would not attend 99% of the art functions for the school. He even would attend the out of state competitions. The teachers at West Ashley are remarkable and in some cases are better than the ones at my university.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 20, 2004

MY son attends W. Ashley and I think it is very distastful for the so called affluent society of W.Ashley to feel that a student who is not an honors student should not have the opportunity to attend a decent school with competent teachers. Its attitudes like that that have gotten these schools in the mess they are in. The problem with W. Ashley is that they don't address the needs of these '' as you have put it lower achievers.' West Ashley should be a state of the arts school addressing programs for College Bound and Vocational Bound ( 2yr skills certificate programs) The department of one with Mr. Epstien should be expanded along with more career options gearing students entering the work force after high school. A duplicate of the curriculum offered at Garrent would be a great assest for W. Ashley.

Posted May 5, 2004

This school has so much potential! However, the lower performing students should not be bused into our childrens school. They are the ones that cause all of the problems. They need to put focus on those low performing schools, and improve them. The principal at West Ashley is not a good fit for this school. He is not supportive of the arts ,that is obvious since his last school was St. Andrews High School. The school has great potential if they could keep the right students in and get the principal out.

Posted February 24, 2004

West Ashley High is a great place to work and the students are ready to learn. This school has a strong academic program and a great atomsphere. My kids and I enjoy this school. It is the best in CCSD. All students from low performing schools are ccoming here and I think that will hurt this stupendous school. Great Prinicipal.

Posted November 10, 2003

West Ashley High School has a long way to go... In my opinion the students being bused from failing schools has caused overcrowding in the classes. The school is so large it does not have that personal touch that a smaller school gives you. The facilities at the school are wonderful and the teachers I have meet with have been very caring and helpful.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 91% in 2013.

432 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

428 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % level 2, 3, or 4

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the High School Assessment Program (HSAP) to test grade 10 students in English/Language Arts and Math. The HSAP is a high school graduation requirement. The HSAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 2.

English/Language Arts

English language learners70%
Proficient in English76%
Not migrant76%
Scale: % level 2, 3, or 4

The different student groups are identified by the South Carolina Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Applied Biology

The state average for Applied Biology was 55% in 2013.

249 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 80% in 2013.

325 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 77% in 2013.

372 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Mathematics for the Technologies 2

The state average for Mathematics for the Technologies 2 was 67% in 2013.

166 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 60% in 2011.

525 students were tested at this school in 2011.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 95% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 57% in 2013.

424 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: %D, C, B, A

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the End-of-Course Examination Program (EOCEP) to test middle and high school students in Algebra I, Mathematics for the Technologies II, Biology I, English I, US History, and US History and Government. The EOCEP provides tests in high school core courses and for courses taken in middle school for high school credit. The EOCEP is a standards-based test program, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score a C or above.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 54%N/A57%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
Performing and written arts
  • Drama

Fax number
  • (843) 573-1223

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options