Public charter
Charleston, SC
Students enrolled: 1,342

Posted February 11, 2014
This charter high school is an excellent school with excellent teachers put in place by former principal Robert Boehnstangel. The reason I rate this school so low is that the current school board that was installed in september 2013 has in only one month fired Dr. Boehnstangel over the hiring of a new football coach and other personal agendas of certain board members. The students, faculty and community are now divided over petty issues and I believe in only a few months the actions of a few have threatened the best interests of the entire school. What a shame. I had three children who graduated from JICS and they did extremely well in college. I would not enroll a child here until this current turmoil is over and current board members are voted out. Parents need to get involved and search out the truth. Don't believe the lawyers.

Posted December 09, 2013
Both children attended and are now excelling in both college and community life. JICHS has enthusiastic teachers and excellent adult leadership. I was thrilled with the high level of academics and also with the many extracurricular activities that were made available to students from every background. I also appreciated that the principal made himself available whenever I had a question or a comment. There is truly something for every student at JICHS.

Posted January 09, 2012
Both Children attended. Both are doing great at state universities. Nice neighborhood feel. Good community.

James Island Charter High School 4

Posted September 17, 2009
I graduated in '87. Now a Charter school, my daughter is a Jr. This is a great school with really great kids all around. The teachers and staff are top notch and always willing to help the students. We, as parents, are informed of everything that involves our children from discipline to college help. We are proud and dedicated to JICHS!

James Island Charter High School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
It was a public high school with Charleston County School District, which converted in 2003 to a charter high school. They receive more money from the state and have been able to start new programs, add new courses, and additional staff. The faculty and staff of JICHS care about their students and help them success by providing guidance and extra help with their classes.

Posted August 20, 2009
I love this school! They take time to help my students reach their full potential. My son was struggling in Alg 1 and we were worried tha the wouldn't pass the EOC. They tutored him after school, provided a snack and he passed with flying colors. I applaud them to fighting for charter status.

Posted June 05, 2009

Posted June 20, 2008

James Island Charter High School 2

Posted March 17, 2006
This school has great potential. I don't think the leadership is there nor the right attitude. I see alot of focusing on the higher performing students but not others. It's time for more parent involvement and more communication between the school and parents. My main concern is the discipline and non-communication between the school and the parents.

James Island Charter High School 3

Posted December 20, 2005

James Island Charter High School
1000 Fort Johnson Rd, Charleston, SC  29412
Last modified James Island Charter High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James Island Charter High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top