Daniel Island School

Public | PK-8

Posted August 17, 2014

Daniel Island School is super impressive. We moved here a year ago from the northeast and was concerned about attending a public school. The staff is lovely. The school is beautiful and clean. I cannot say enough about this educational gem for my children. A community school that continues to strive for higher education.

Posted April 24, 2014

One of my children has attended here 5th-7th grade and my other child has gone here for Kindergarten -1st. I was very concerned about reading the bullying reviews but this school has been completely anti-bully since we arrived. They address it, have speakers, and prevention and it has never been a problem. The teachers are great at communicating, parents are involved, there is ample opportunity to be involved. The AR program is the only disappointment as it became non-existent this year. But they have other reading incentives and a Beta Club (my childs group has not done anything special for Beta yet though) Love the front office staff and teachers!

Posted April 3, 2014

This school is terrible the 8th grade teacher team is terrible they got my son on trouble many times when he was the victim. And the teachers acted like it wasn't there fault but it was all there fault!!! It's terrible the person who bulled my son got away free but my son got in trouble when he acted in self defense against the kid who was hurting him. Guess they don't know about the stand your ground law. This school sucks!!!

Posted November 17, 2013

My son has been going to D. I. school since he was in the 3rd grade. He is now in the 6th grade and seems really content. We were worried about all the bullying issues we were hearing about and offered to send him to a local private school, especially while in middle school. He declined...He swears he has never experienced any bullying or witnessed any bullying towards anyone else. I was a little concerned, because he is usually pretty quiet and to himself & doesn't follow the "norm". I think that the school has really started to turn the corner in a positive manner with the social aspect. The teachers seem to really care and are there for their students. Really can't complain!

Posted April 8, 2013

Mrs. French is a bully! This school is not safe for younger children. If your children has special needs do not send them to Daniel Island School. I do not understand how anyone could send their child to this overcrowded school!

Posted October 29, 2012

My child is in second grade at Daniel Island School She has an excellent teacher and we are very happy with her. She is very caring, yet has high expectations for her students. I really appreciate her effort to teach higher level thinking skills and creativity. My only concern is the size of the class ..26 students are too many for a 2nd grade class. This number puts a real strain on our teachers and hampers what they can do for our children.

Posted September 26, 2012

The administration at DIS is extremely supportive of students and faculty. They value positive relationships and go out of their way to ensure the safety and best interest of each member of the school community. The teachers are dedicated to challenging students for high achievement and personal values. Rachel's Challenge has been a wonderful program implemented at DIS to encourage high moral standards and respect toward others. The guidance department is doing a great job of advocating for a safe, friendly learning environment for our students. I am honored to be a part of this learning community!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 18, 2012

We moved to the area last summer from out of state. The staff made the transition process smooth and pleasant (we even got a lengthy personal tour around the school!) Our 2nd grader felt prepared for his first day at the new school thanks to all the staff. Our son's teacher made him comfortable and was very communicative to us about how he was settling in. The school year was good--involved parents, multiple 'Parent University' opportunities presented by the Vice-Principal (with support of the new principal), and a great neighborhood feel to the school are most notable. The new principal (enthusiastic and no-nonsense) made some changes to procedural things--which seemed good to me (but parents who were used the old way of doing things might not like the changes...) The school is big (K-8) but very focused on making a good environment for the kids, in particular undertaking some big anti-bullying efforts (winning some awards for this). I am pleased with the overall quality of the facilities and teaching staff. Of course, I wish there was more money for foreign languages, more computer time, etc. but this is a county/state issue not specific to our school.

Posted July 7, 2012

Thank you for this websight. I am happy to receive positive news about DIS. I no longer have children in the school, but while we were there I recognized that there were some very dedicated teachers. I am happy that they now have the leadership that they and the children deserve. Good leadership is the key to unlocking all of that potential.

Posted July 6, 2012

DIS is a fantastic school. We now have an amazing team of administrators. Thank you Mrs. French for your leadership--you lead with compassion, a high level of professional competency, and a truly student-centered approach. Daniel Island School is starting to realize its potential.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 24, 2012

I attended a picnic today(5/24/12 for first graders. I witnessed two adult women one a nurse completely takeover a first grader's ( of color) blanket . When the child went over and stood there because there was no place to sit I told them it was her blanket. The nurse turned to the little girl and said "hank you for letting me use you blanket that is very sweet of you". The little girl went back to her grandmother . The two women left much later leaving all of there trash for others to pick up. They are a reflection of there children and vice versa. Reflection of the school? If it's on film Youtube

Posted May 20, 2012

DIS is an incredible school! I have been in the military and moved around with my children to different parts of the country and different schools including several in very nice neighborhoods. DIS is by far the best! Mrs. French is an excellent principal and there are many dedicated and skilled teachers. The bullying issues have been tackled head on and are no longer a concern. A key to this school's success is all of the involved parents. This school will help your child achieve as well as any private school in town, you will be able to walk or ride to school, and you will get to know all of the other children and parents. If you live where you are able to go to DIS, it seems like a no brainer to send your kids there. It is a big part of why we think Daniel Island is an absolutely amazing place to live and raise your children!

Posted May 18, 2012

Mrs. French's first year at DIS has been amazing. She has tackled the Bullying problem HEAD ON! I have been very impressed by Ms. Wimmer the assistant vice principal for grades 3-5. The whole team is dedicated to arming the kids with tools to STAND UP against bullies and try to eliminate the problem. Our kids have loved the school and have not had any bullying problems. The PTA is amazing, very involved and active in raising money for our teachers. We are so fortunate to have this school in our neighborhood. It is so idyllic seeing all of the kids riding their bikes or walking to school. We wouldn't choose any place else.

Posted September 1, 2011

We, too, made special contingencies when purchasing a home just to be in the DI district, and boy am I sorry we did. My child was bullied, taunted, teased.... NOTHING was done about it. I tried to contact the principal via email, phone call, and a personal visit, none of which were acknowledged. See comment below regarding principal leadership. Teacher quality: We did have a handful of teachers who were great, but the rest were sub-par. Principal leadership: What a joke; there is absolutely no stability. DI is currently on their 4th principal in 5 years. Parent involvement: Again, some were great, but there were a lot of really snotty volunteers, most of whom stood around doing nothing but gossiping. We had really high hopes for DIS, but they simply missed the mark. Unfortunately there are not a lot of options nearby. I would highly recommend looking into private, charter, online, or homeschooling as an option before choosing DIS.

Posted July 3, 2011

As a student, i say this is an awful school. If there were a 0-star option, i would have clicked -100. The kids are way too aggressive, one even tried to drive a pair of scissors through my neck and wasn't in trouble even though i was yelling at him. Another peer of mine was slammed into a locker and his head was busted. The kid that did it was at school the next day, in class. On the bright side, a few of the teachers are amazing. (Thanks Ms. Karolyi!) I'm moving to PSA next year along with my friends to 1.- be challenged, 2.- have more fun, and 3.- not be threatened and/or hit/bullied. The school is small, yet excellent. I have personally spoken to the principal, and he said there wasn't a bully in sight. DIS- one star for good teachers

Posted May 30, 2011

We moved here for this school and after three years will have pulled all our children out. The lower elem. grades are fine and have some great teachers throughout the school. The middle school grades are where the real problems are found. The attitude of entitlement from some students, along with the bullying that is swept under the rug is to much to ignore. We reported the multi. bullying problems but nothing happened even though a new program was supposed to be put into place. Things are still happening just like last year and the year before and the year before that year. The school is still fairly new (open 4yrs) but going to be looking for the 4th principal. So what does this tell you about how things are going at this school?? Why do so many of the good teachers leave every year??

Posted February 16, 2011

Bullying got out of hand for my child at this school. The staff/admin were quick to respond, but it didn't keep the problem from happening again. And again. And again. My children attend elsewhere now and there is no more bullying. Also, a great or even good teacher is hit-or-miss.

Posted November 17, 2010

My family just moved here and my daughter has attended this school for 5 months. I noticed that people posted that the "kids are kind and taught respect". I'd like to disagree. I have never had more issues with rude and mean kids ever. My daughter has a story every day. She never had problems at her previous school with teasing. There seems to be kids that back talk teachers and totally get away with it. Tell me how this teaches kindness or respect? They school has a great mantra about kindness and acceptance, but it is not enforced, so therefore useless. Don't be fooled by the pretty pictures of the school, like I was. It's not a good place and my child will not be attending this school any longer.

Posted May 21, 2010

How does a school receive a GreatSchools' rating of 9 when, by 8th grade, 30% or more of the students fall *below* state standards in all areas of students.

Posted April 23, 2010

DIS is welcoming and friendly. The school celebrates kids who are kind and bring a positive attitude. I respect Principal Candillo and like how he is looking for pathways to excellence while balancing the needs of 1100+ students.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 80% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 75% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the Palmetto Assessment of State Standards (PASS) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in Writing, English/Language Arts, Math, Social Studies and Science. The PASS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

181 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

181 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

180 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

180 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 72% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 70% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

Writing

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 70% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 71% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2013.

All Students97%

African-American33%
Subsidized meals53%
Disabled63%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the South Carolina Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

African-American58%

African-American69%
Subsidized meals69%
Non-migrant93%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Applied Biology

The state average for Applied Biology was 55% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 80% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 77% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Mathematics for the Technologies 2

The state average for Mathematics for the Technologies 2 was 67% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 60% in 2011.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 95% in 2013.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 57% in 2013.

Scale: %D, C, B, A

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the End-of-Course Examination Program (EOCEP) to test middle and high school students in Algebra I, Mathematics for the Technologies II, Biology I, English I, US History, and US History and Government. The EOCEP provides tests in high school core courses and for courses taken in middle school for high school credit. The EOCEP is a standards-based test program, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score a C or above.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 14%N/A57%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2365 Daniel Island Dr