St. Andrews School Of Math And Science 1

Posted September 01, 2014
My daughter deteriorated in 6 weeks in Kindergarten last year. We tried to discuss the multiple behavior issues with her teacher who repeatedly blew us off. When we finally got a meeting with her teacher at the six week mark, she cut the meeting short so she could attend a teachers workshop. We drove around the school only to find her exercising in the school yard. I dont believe sprints, pushups and situps constitute as a teachers workshop. We pulled our daughter out and placed her in a private Montessori school on Hwy 17 in West Ashley and she loved it. She asked me if she could stay! That is the enthusiasm I had hoped for at SASMS not tears. The Administration staff also seemed disorganized. They also let my 5 year old daughter ride on a unauthorized private afterschool bus without our consent. They did later apologize after we went to pick her up to take her to the afterschool program and she was not there at the school. She had taken the afterschool transportation (karate mini-bus). While waiting in the Administration office for our teachers meeting, the Administration staff seemed confused on what to do with another child whose transportation was also in question. Not cool.

St. Andrews School Of Math And Science 3

Posted April 06, 2014
FYI, our son has attended S.A for 3 years, is a straight A student & we're highly involved parents(pta, volunteers,etc.). 1st, a contradiction exists in S.A.'s title as "School of Math & Science". Compare test results to see why. S.A. does not place an emphasis on math and science. Strict adherence to Common Core leaves little time for kids to learn anything more than how to take PASS tests (also our son's experience). S.A. teachers appear to focus on helping the lower 20% improve at the cost of the mid-to-high level kids (not always a teacher's fault b/c test scores affect funding). Open (2) tabs,one for S.A. and one for neighboring Summerville's Newington Elementary on this site to compare. You'll see a big difference. Toured NES recently to see why and were amazed at their enthusiasm and teacher participation in all events (stark contrast to S.A.). NES has an award winning robotics team & doesn't dumb down science and math, and supports creative teaching methods. S.A.'s gifted and talented program (a joke) is a mere 2 hours a week vs. NES's every day, all day program ( to help their brightest excel). We sadly will be moving to S'ville to give our kids a better education.

Posted November 27, 2013
SASMS provides a very nurturing environment and plenty of hands-on learning experiences. I have 2 children here and highly recommend the school to those who are looking. I do like that it is a partial magnet, with a combination of neighborhood kids and other kids from throughout the district. They do have a exceptional principal and very active PTA.

St. Andrews School Of Math And Science 4

Posted August 20, 2012
I have had a mixed experience at the school. On one hand my girls have had great teachers. However, my sons first grade year was a distaster. The teacher was rude and yelled at many of the children. I learned they had many parents complain but little was done. She is still there and I think her presence is an insult to the great teachers who deserve the spotlight.

St. Andrews School Of Math And Science 2

Posted March 26, 2012
I have to agree about how disappointed i am about this school. Any child is accepted in this school and it amazing me how many children attend this school. This is my child's second year here, I absolutely love his teacher , she is the absolutely the best, however i believe that my child has been exposed to bullying, inappropriate touching and language. This will be the last year that my child attends this school since their seems to be a lot of troubled students that attend this school..

St. Andrews School Of Math And Science 1

Posted January 21, 2012
My child attends SASMS. I am extremely dissappointed in this school. They scream at the children. They are not caring and nurturing at ALL! They cram so many students( more than ccsd allows, I checked), and they have the rudest front staff ever! I had heard so many good things about this school, and was excited when I was contacted for my child to test. I wish I had NEVER accepted! All of the good reviews on here is baffling to me! Maybe they got a better teacher. I have heard that there are a few of those. My child LOVED school and now begs not to go each day. I am so unsatisfied and furious at how I do not feel informed and how I have to ask everything. I am very active in my childs education and feel at times I anger the teachers and staff because I want my child to succeed! I will be going to another school!!! Please do not send your child here. I am not overreacting, it is terrible!

St. Andrews School Of Math And Science 0

Posted January 26, 2010
My daughter is in the fourth grade and we just moved to the Charleston area. She first attended Oakland, and we found out quickly that it was not the environment for her. Fortunately I did my research and found SASMS! Before my daughter was even attending the school, the principal and front office staff was amazing. Now my daughter is thriving, being challenged, and enjoying her new school. I would recommend this school to anyone serious about education.

Posted May 25, 2009
After living overseas for many years, my child has had several experiences in international schools and I must say that her experience at St Andrews surpasses all of my expectations. Friendly, competent, caring staff and a very active community make for the perfect environment for my child's education. Great diversity and a wide variety of backgrounds represent the other children at the school making for great life experiences for my daughter.

St. Andrews School Of Math And Science 0

Posted June 18, 2008
My nephew attended SASMS for kindergarden and I was very please with his advancement in knowledge and understanding. His teacher took time with him and the school diversity is wonderful. The most important thing I love about this school is that it challenges and it has the resources to assist in the challenges as well. Thank you SASMS, keep up the excellent work you are doing ! Submitted by Irene and Sadie Coaxum, Guardians

Posted June 21, 2007
My daughter attended the Child Development Program for 4 year olds and even at that age she has learned a lot at SASMS. I just wish that the program was all day long instead of half a day, because I could just imagine how much more she could have learned. I am so amazed how much she has grown academically and at such a young age. I highly recommend SASMS for any parent just entering their 4 year old to school.

St. Andrews School Of Math And Science
30 Chadwick Dr, Charleston, SC  29407
Last modified St. Andrews School Of Math And Science is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
St. Andrews School Of Math And Science Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top