Posted November 25, 2014
My son is attending St. Peter's for the third year and I can only say great things about it. The student/ teacher ratio is excellent. The academic focus is excellent, and the enrichment programs lift this school above average. There are many things I could talk about: the general discipline, which is always loving and strict at the same time without boxing kids in, the focus on children to achieve, based on their own merit and skills, the carefully chosen partnerships, with USC, with musea, with the Junior Achievement program. But the best thing I can say is the absolute individual care for each child. They are willing to work with each family to get that child the best educational experience that is needed. The teachers listen and they adapt so that a quick learner can excel and a slower learner can catch up without either feeling ill at ease.

Posted August 11, 2014
I am writing this review with much experience in Catholic(and some public years of education (however not in the Columbia area).We came upon St.Peters after moving to the area from out of state. We were welcomed, involved, and made many friendships, child and adult, in this nurturing, academic environment. Coming to this school helped me to see the areas of academics my child needed to work on, and an excellent tutor was recommended. During this fifth grade year my child's scores improved from "D" range to "B" honor roll in the course of the year. This was not given, it was well earned. The teachers gave of their time and expertise to see to my students success. As a Catholic, Christian parent we found St.Peters Parish and School all were welcome! In the classroom the children are friends and inclusive. Gossip and bullying was NOT allowed! This was a breath of fresh air. The parish and school are a wonderful place for families to lay roots and grow in their Catholic faith. This school is supported by the Parish, Administrators, Teachers, Parents, Alumni, and Community. It is certainly worth taking the time to attend an information session to hear what they have to offer!

Posted May 18, 2013
Our children have attended St. Peter's since k4. One has already graduated and now attends Cardinal Newman. Our other child is graduating this year. I can tell you the St. Peter's is the best education for the dollar when you compare private education. The school gets better every year. Programs have been brought in from USC, Junior Achievement, The Ballet school, the USC Music School. They have an Art Program that is outstanding! I am a very proud parent of St. Peter's. The academics are great as measured by the national test scores. St. Peter's is a secret in Columbia for the best education. We need to get the word out and let others benefit from our school.

Posted March 05, 2013
Our daughter has been at St. Peter's since K4 and is finishing 5th grade this year and will proudly graduate next year. The academics have been great as her standardized test scores have been as high as the 12th grade level. The teachers are challenging, but fair The atmosphere is a terrific combination of discipline and caring for evreryone. The older students take care of the younger students and the teachers know evreryone in the entire school not just thier own class. The religious teaching has been very good for both Catholic children and non-Catholic children. At St. Peter's our daughter has not encountered things that she might at others schools such as bad language, drugs, bullying and a lot of kids that mis-behave. Respect for yourself and others is very apparent.

Posted October 11, 2012
After my first visit to St. Peter s, I knew that I had found the perfect school for my daughter. While I am not Catholic, having my daughter attend a Christian school that is also academically competitive was a major factor in my choosing St. Peter s. My daughter is learning so much; but more importantly, she is getting the education in a traditional Christian environment. The teachers and staff at St. Peter s are exceptional. And because of the small class sizes, all the teachers and staff at St. Peter s seem to know all the students. In today s climate, even the school-wide celebration of holidays like Christmas and Easter at St. Peter s is something we do not take for granted. My daughter absolutely loves going to St. Peter s. Not once have I regretted sending her to St. Peter s Catholic School.

Posted September 24, 2012
My child has attended St. Peters for over 5 years and during that time, we have watched him grow into a mature young adult. This school places a strong emphasis on personal growth, responsibility, structure, and most importantly, faith and spiritual development. The current principal has done a great job guiding this school over the past three years and improved the curriculum, structure, and morale. She is a compassionate administrator who is willing to both listen and work with the students (and parents) on any issue. The school is also in a great location in downtown Columbia. I would highly recommend!!

Posted September 01, 2012
I am currently the parent of 2 children in this school and have been involved with this school for many years. This is truly a faith filled, nurturing, academically excellent environment for the students. ALL the teachers take every aspect of the child's growth seriously as they provide a rigorous learning environment. The school DOES use (this has never changed) the ITBS (not IBTS as the last review stated) testing in the fall so teachers can use those test scores to help individualize instruction for the remaining part of the year. Our current principal is amazing and has taken this school is a direction that fosters learning and excellence in all areas of child development. I highly recommend this school to any parent!

St Peters Catholic School 3

Posted May 23, 2011
I was a parent of a child here from k5 until 6th grade. So I have much experience with the school (including 3 principals). First the positives, the school curriculum is very strong in most classes. The accelerated reader program is great and really encouraged my child to read more and more. Most teachers are very committed (esp. the 4,5,6 grade group). The classrooms are extremely well behaved with a great spritual and ethical atmosphere. I really enjoyed most years. The bad: math in the lower grades was just OK, they have moved from the nationally recognized IBTS scores which is one reason I enrolled my child. I am not impressed with how they compare to other terrible South Carolina schools. Now my biggest complaint.. the current principal HAS NOT taken the school in a good direction. From changing the IBTS, to generally not caring what parents have to say or think. This has gone from a great school with an engaged parent population, to one where there is one person who toots her own horn (a lot) but doesn't engage her stakeholders. I can't believe this is good for any organization. I used to recommend this school to all my friends, now I can no longer do so.

St Peters Catholic School 4

Posted May 10, 2010
My son has been a student at St. Peter's for six years now. Although we are not Catholic, we chose St. Peter's for the small size, great location, nurturing environment and academic program that includes music, art and Spanish language instruction. The music program is a cooperative program with the USC Music Education Department and is a real jewel in the programming at St. Peter's. The current principal arrived in May of 2009 and has taken the school in a great direction, improving morale all around, delevoping the curriculum to meet (or exceed) state standards and enforcing high standards for behavior and acheivement in a loving and compassionate way. My son is thriving in this atmosphere and making great progress in all areas but particularly writing and math. He will be wel prepared for middle school no matter where he goes.

Posted November 11, 2009

St Peters Catholic School
1035 Hampton Street, Columbia, SC  29201
Last modified St Peters Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
St Peters Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top